Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I’m seeing reports that fans have had 5 match bans imposed for throwing beer when celebrating our goals against Ajax. Seems a massive overreaction by the club. It’s annoying and a waste of beer but this seems very heavy handed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’m seeing reports that fans have had 5 match bans imposed for throwing beer when celebrating our goals. Seems a massive overreaction by the club. It’s annoying and a waste of beer but this seems very heavy handed.
Really? Seems heavy handed but I’ve no idea how they’ve identified the fans when many were in the wrong seats. Quite a few attempts to steal aisle end seats in our section including mine at half time when I went for a wee. A few couldn’t find the correct ones in the confusing lay out and potential for slightly scrambled brain. One friend who I spoke to in the pub on Sunday watched much of the game from an aisle. Plenty of posts on here said “sit where you want”.

If they’re doing it on CCTV based on seat number cross referenced to ticket there’s a chance it’ll be wrong.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Having seen the reaction of Brighton fans covered in beer in Amsterdam, I think this is a good move by the club. This behaviour needs to be highlighted as unacceptable.

There were a number of beers that ended up lobbed at the Ajax fans too that led to an embarrassing warning for us on the stadium tannoy.

Is the punishment worthy of the crime? Of course not but it’s being used as a lever to change attitudes to this stupidity. Once ‘lads’ stop ‘luzzing’ beer all the time (and it becomes socially unacceptable), I expect the punishment to be reduced.

Last edited:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Really? Seems heavy handed but I’ve no idea how they’ve identified the fans when many were in the wrong seats. Quite a few attempts to steal aisle end seats in our section including mine at half time when I went for a wee. A few couldn’t find the correct ones in the confusing lay out and potential for slightly scrambled brain. One friend who I spoke to in the pub on Sunday watched much of the game from an aisle. Plenty of posts on here said “sit where you want”.

If they’re doing it on CCTV based on seat number cross referenced to ticket there’s a chance it’ll be wrong.
Apparently those banned were picked out by stewards

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
08C02666-F6D1-4516-B2C1-D94CE887C7D5.jpeg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I’m seeing reports that fans have had 5 match bans imposed for throwing beer when celebrating our goals against Ajax. Seems a massive overreaction by the club. It’s annoying and a waste of beer but this seems very heavy handed.
Where are these reports?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You’d need a bit more detail to decide if it’s heavy-handed, or not. Define ‘throwing beer’.

Adingra’s goal, coming as it did, soon after HT - there were a lot of unfinished drinks about in that moment.

Everybody went disco mental, and a lot of drinks were ‘spilled’. However:

- some were literally just SPILLED. If you were stood right in front of such, it was anoying, but you’d never expect the ‘spiller’ to face any punishment.

- some were thrown up in the air in an act of celebration, showering scores of people in beer. This is f***ing annoying, and deserves a quiet word to not be a dick.

- some though (watch the video of the ‘limbs’ in the insta below) were deliberately thrown - not up in the air - but out of our section, into the Ajax fans below. I’d expect, if identified, that these throwers would be treated exactly the same as anyone throwing any other ‘missile’.

Its really not that hard to not be a dickhead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You’d need a bit for detail to decide if it’s heavy-handed, or not. Define ‘throwing beer’.

Adingra’s goal, coming as it did, soon after HT - there were a lot of unfinished drinks about in that moment.

Everybody went disco mental, and a lot of drinks were ‘spilled’. However:

- some were literally just SPILLED. If you were stood right in front of such, it was anoying, but you’d never expect the ‘spiller’ to face any punishment.

- some were thrown up in the air in an act of celebration, showering scores of people in beer. This is f***ing annoying, and deserves a quiet word to not be a dick.

- some though (watch the video of the ‘limbs’) were deliberately thrown - not up in the air - but out of our section, into the Ajax fans below. I’d expect, if identified, that these throwers would be treated exactly the same as anyone throwing any other ‘missile’.

Its really not that hard to not be a dickhead.
And some were thrown in response to the 'don't throw beer' announcement.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

I saw a fan being taken out for it by stewards. Presumed the club would be issuing bans, it's what they do.

mrjon1976

Found bliss in ignorance
Jul 25, 2011
gravesend
We were sat at the very front, and I got hit by a half empty pint as did my dad. Fortunately the only real damage was a small cut but it could have been worse.

As someone that has struggled with alcohol addiction, I respect that people want to have beers while at football. But I really do not understand the fascination of chucking pints in the air when we score. If it ever became OK for people to have beers in their seats during a game then I would either have to move to a non-drinking section or seriously consider not going to games. No one wants to see fans banned from seeing their team, but if it isnt acceptable behaviour in "the real world" what makes it acceptable within the confines of a stadium?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Unless they’ve got clear CCTV images it opens up a whole can of worms.

From picking my ticket up the one and only time I looked at it was at the turnstile, then just went with our group, I was probably near where I was supposed to sit (actually ended up directly behind Bozza) but couldn’t say if this was the seat I was supposed to be in.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Absolutely ridiculous if true. I like seeing beer luzzing, looks cool on the highlights.

Obviously I don't like to be on the receiving end but it's just harmless fun. And we are not likely to be in a position to do it again in the near future if this wretched form continues.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We were sat at the very front, and I got hit by a half empty pint as did my dad. Fortunately the only real damage was a small cut but it could have been worse.

As someone that has struggled with alcohol addiction, I respect that people want to have beers while at football. But I really do not understand the fascination of chucking pints in the air when we score. If it ever became OK for people to have beers in their seats during a game then I would either have to move to a non-drinking section or seriously consider not going to games. No one wants to see fans banned from seeing their team, but if it isnt acceptable behaviour in "the real world" what makes it acceptable within the confines of a stadium?
I think if beer in the seats was normalised I suspect very few people would chuck it around as it would not be accepted !! Think it only happens as it's a bit of a novelty being able to drink in your seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here