[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having seen the reaction of Brighton fans covered in beer in Amsterdam, I think this is a good move by the club. This behaviour needs to be highlighted as unacceptable.

There were a number of beers that ended up lobbed at the Ajax fans too that led to an embarrassing warning for us on the stadium tannoy.

Is the punishment worthy of the crime? Of course not but it’s being used as a lever to change attitudes to this stupidity. Once ‘lads’ stop ‘luzzing’ beer all the time (and it becomes socially unacceptable), I expect the punishment to be reduced.
Better a beer than a plastic chair. Apparently Chelsea come prepared with one smuggled up their backside. Did no one even chuck a bike in the ****ing canal?

:wink:

el punal

Maybe I’m putting two and two together but were the gangway steps at Ajax dangerously slippery because of the beer being spilled/chucked? I had a seat next to the aisle and about tens fans went tumbling after sliding on the wet surface. Luckily no one was seriously hurt.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
On a related point - is there anywhere more slippery in the world than on those steep steps and concourses at Ajax? Saw plenty take nasty tumbles. Beer, rain (on sodden fans) and the closed roof can't have helped but it seemed lethal.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
On a related point - is there anywhere more slippery in the world than on those steep steps and concourses at Ajax? Saw plenty take nasty tumbles. Beer, rain (on sodden fans) and the closed roof can't have helped but it seemed lethal.
I was grabbing my seat when we scored for exactly those reasons!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure how much of that Tweet is true. If true, regarding identification, most certainly from Brighton's own stewards I'd say. I understand Barber's daughter, possibly two daughter's, were in the away end as well....I expect to see changes for future away European games now.

5 games seems about right. It's unacceptable and anti-social behaviour.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's a lot of noise about this on X/Twitter but nobody - afaik - has actually come forward and said they've been banned or provided any detail (detained by stewards on the night, plastic glass thrown on pitch , how identified ? ) . Instead still A lot of secondhand / "i've heard" this or that. And now a lot of speculation on here too.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I don't like the idea of the club however using videos of the beer luzzing as 'limbs' and then banning the fans. You can't use that sort of social media to increase PR, then ban those responsible. I spilt my beer during Adingra's goal because someone came careering into the back of me long after the goal was scored, that was annoying, but it is what it is, its celebration in the heat of the moment. Most of the luzzing was heat of the moment stuff with the novelty. I warning by the club would have been sufficient IMO. Lucky they are doing only 5 game bans as it could easily be a banning order.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There's a lot of noise about this on X/Twitter but nobody - afaik - has actually come forward and said they've been banned or provided any detail (detained by stewards on the night, plastic glass thrown on pitch , how identified ? ) . Instead still A lot of secondhand / "i've heard" this or that. And now a lot of speculation on here too.
I know a person who has been banned, I'll have to ask him what exactly happened when I see him.

EDIT: I now realise that won't be for at least 5 home games :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't like the idea of the club however using videos of the beer luzzing as 'limbs' and then banning the fans. You can't use that sort of social media to increase PR, then ban those responsible. I spilt my beer during Adingra's goal because someone came careering into the back of me long after the goal was scored, that was annoying, but it is what it is, its celebration in the heat of the moment. Most of the luzzing was heat of the moment stuff with the novelty. I warning by the club would have been sufficient IMO. Lucky they are doing only 5 game bans as it could easily be a banning order.
It's no different to we can't let off piros in the ground, but they can.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Who has been banned ? and for what ? Because i've still not seen any definite confirmation of either. Not saying it hasn't happened but i've looked and its all very vague . So a"banned for throwing beer" = club are hypocrites cos of social videos = sanctions aren't fair = club over reach is fine but perhaps premature at this stage . PS: one of our lot slipped and fell down the steps due to them being slippery cos of spilt beer FWIW.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023

I'm not going to share the email from the club, or identify the individual by name, but I can 100% confirm one of my friends has been banned.

He was kicked out by an Ajax steward after the goal when the remnants of a pint was chucked and then handed over to Brighton Stewards and Darren Balkham. He was then banned from Sheff Utd at home 'pending investigation'. Yesterday he received notice he is banned for 5 home games and Athens Away.

I agree it isn't right to throw pints, but surely the punishment of being kicked out, and missing a home game is enough; all this while the club are posting videos saying "look at these limbs" all over their socials. Stinks of double standards but doubt Barber will budge.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think if beer in the seats was normalised I suspect very few people would chuck it around as it would not be accepted !! Think it only happens as it's a bit of a novelty being able to drink in your seat.
This is the thing. People saying we couldn't have it at the Amex because people would throw it- Barbs would instantly ban anyone who did, and it would become the new running on the pitch.

Speaking of running on the pitch, that seems to have died a bit of a death recently, hasn't it? There was a real spate of it after Covid.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Who has been banned ? and for what ? Because i've still not seen any definite confirmation of either. Not saying it hasn't happened but i've looked and its all very vague . So a"banned for throwing beer" = club are hypocrites cos of social videos = sanctions aren't fair = club over reach is fine but perhaps premature at this stage . PS: one of our lot slipped and fell down the steps due to them being slippery cos of spilt beer FWIW.
I've said in the previous post I know someone, but I've seen it with Everton using videos of the flares being thrown on the pitch to promote getting a season ticket, but then banning those responsible. If they were ejected during the game then I suppose the club have to act. In my humble opinion I don't think its right for club to use behaviour they deem as unacceptable to promote the club.

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
I was covered in beer after the first goal, all over my head, jacket and jeans. Was I annoyed? Yes I was absolutely fuming with the guy standing behind me who did it. Do I want him banned? No I don't as he was actually a nice bloke who got caught up in the moment. However I really don't want to see beer at seats in the Amex for two reasons.1) it will really annoy me if it happened to me again, and 2) there were three or four people in my row who kept going back and forwards during the game to get more beer. I can't understand why people went all that way to miss a third of the game to buy more beer!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm not going to share the email from the club, or identify the individual by name, but I can 100% confirm one of my friends has been banned.

He was kicked out by an Ajax steward after the goal when the remnants of a pint was chucked and then handed over to Brighton Stewards and Darren Balkham. He was then banned from Sheff Utd at home 'pending investigation'. Yesterday he received notice he is banned for 5 home games and Athens Away.

I agree it isn't right to throw pints, but surely the punishment of being kicked out, and missing a home game is enough; all this while the club are posting videos saying "look at these limbs" all over their socials. Stinks of double standards but doubt Barber will budge.
5 games is a lot better than 5 years, which is what I was expecting to hear. And yes, I thought that about the 'limbs' videos too. It's a bit 'look how mental we all went when we scored' (then we found the most mental and banned them).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports