Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Affordable Strikers

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
There are only 2 or 3 teams in the prem with more than 25 senior players, so i doubt the naming of squads will change anything.

Totally agree, the whole 25 man squad idea is for senior players, so youngsters dont come into it. In fact there has probably never been a better time for youngsters to hang on where they are, take Newcastle and Lua Lua, Newcastle can only really name two players for each position, Lua Lua will be in the first team if they get a couple of injuries or suspensions as he is a youngster and doesnt need to be named in the 25 man squad.

Seriously wouldn't get your hopes up about premiership youngsters, there may well be slim pickings. Supposing we do get some kid in from the prem he might not be able to cut it anyway, i mean would you pick Gavin Hoyte over Inigo Calderon?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Michael Mifsud, Sam Baldock, Theo Robinson, Jo Kuffour.

Mifsud is still a free agent I think, he'd be worth a look for sure.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I agree it would be highly unlikely, but much more realistic than half of the names mentioned! Yes, he is a big player for them, but i think they would be tempted by 500k or so, seeing as they have Lee, Robinson, Novak etc and money to sign another forward if neccesary. Worth a try imo, but as you say, very unlikely

Mate, i hate to burst your bubble here but Jordan Rhodes is probably one of the best prospects outside the Premiership, Ipswich were daft to let him go and Huddeersfield were very lucky to get him.

As for price, i refer you back to Pitman's fee of 1 Million, if he's worth that then Huddersfield will ask double for Rhodes as he has done it at a higher level than Pitman.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I hope that you are right but I wont hold my breath.

This is the game that Gus should have experimented and played the team that played at Northampton not that game.

Couldn't agree more BG... a cup run would have been nice, and would mean money with a big tie...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh, and... Kandol for me... or Theo Robinson... the Kuffour idea is a good one too, and we were after him in the past (pre-Gus tho')...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I doubt Baldock would sign permanently for another club as he is the only player from MK ever to play for them, and he seems to be a bit of a prodigal son there.
Could be worth a shout for a loan though. They have Easter, Baldock, Wilbraham, Ibehre, Lewis Guy and a youngster on loan from QPR. Surely they can afford to let one go?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I dont think that the naming of 25 man squads will have any bearing on whether Prem teams will let players go on loan or not. It will be the same as always was.

its not the teams its the players
If I were in that position I would not want to be hanging around hoping one of the first team throws a wobbly or gets injured ......I would want to be playing football whether out on loan or signed on.
it is just finding the right player though.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Totally agree, the whole 25 man squad idea is for senior players, so youngsters dont come into it. In fact there has probably never been a better time for youngsters to hang on where they are, take Newcastle and Lua Lua, Newcastle can only really name two players for each position, Lua Lua will be in the first team if they get a couple of injuries or suspensions as he is a youngster and doesnt need to be named in the 25 man squad.

Seriously wouldn't get your hopes up about premiership youngsters, there may well be slim pickings. Supposing we do get some kid in from the prem he might not be able to cut it anyway, i mean would you pick Gavin Hoyte over Inigo Calderon?

to a point I agree but there will be (although not particularly young) players of the Craig Bellamy type moving to the championship and he will be taking the place of ? and the said ? might be looking for a club to play for and I know you might say he is the exception but I think there will be many like him maybe not as skillful but with experience.
a question ......would you have picked Jo over Bellamy because I certainly would'nt and I certainly don't think that Gus would have signed Hoyte even if we were desperate

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
phil mchunt from berwick rangers

2008-09 45 games 28 goals
2009-10 51 games 34 goals
2010-11 4 games 6 goals

sign him up would cost 100k

Manny

Aug 1, 2010
Reigate, Surrey
its not the teams its the players
If I were in that position I would not want to be hanging around hoping one of the first team throws a wobbly or gets injured ......I would want to be playing football whether out on loan or signed on.
it is just finding the right player though.

No, it's the team. The player is contracted to the team and will ultimately go out on loan if the club decides so. Unless they want to through a wobbly about it and risk their entire future for the sake of going on a 3 month loan to a league one side.

Some Prem youths will still become available for sure. As they always have. All i'm saying is that the new 25 man squad thing will have no bearing on this at all. In fact most Prem clubs are undersubscribed and cannot get 25 senior players. You can also expect to see some English youngsters named in the 25 just to bolster the home grown quota.....so it could even have an adverse effect.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Mifsud interests me...OK FM2010 thinks hes right upour street but thats FM. he was ignored first half of last season, went back to Malta and scored 13 goalsin 8 games. He then became a free agsane but is still scorign goals for fun at international level... scored ....yetno one seems to be looking at him. Anyone know why?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mifsud interests me...OK FM2010 thinks hes right upour street but thats FM. he was ignored first half of last season, went back to Malta and scored 13 goalsin 8 games. He then became a free agsane but is still scorign goals for fun at international level... scored ....yetno one seems to be looking at him. Anyone know why?

Not a great record in English football.

2 in 15 at Barnsley
16 in 86 at Coventry

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Not a great record in English football.

2 in 15 at Barnsley
16 in 86 at Coventry

all in the championship though..... not league 1/2 or non league

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I'd say Championship back then isn't too far off which L1 is like now though

two years ago?

hmmm bit different from the Daggers and Yeovil

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
No, it's the team. The player is contracted to the team and will ultimately go out on loan if the club decides so. Unless they want to through a wobbly about it and risk their entire future for the sake of going on a 3 month loan to a league one side.

Some Prem youths will still become available for sure. As they always have. All i'm saying is that the new 25 man squad thing will have no bearing on this at all. In fact most Prem clubs are undersubscribed and cannot get 25 senior players. You can also expect to see some English youngsters named in the 25 just to bolster the home grown quota.....so it could even have an adverse effect.

there have been several who have thrown a wobbly and got exactly what they wanted and several have been sold for far less than they are worth just to get rid probably a lot more than we think ........but I take your point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here