Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adidas next years kit suppliers

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nope, can't for the life of me think why they are doing this. After all, increased kit sales would bring more money to the FA and kit manufacturers (with maybe a percentage going to FIFA for a special World Cup (TM) kit?) The extra interest in people seeing the new kits would increase tv audience figures which would increase the money tv companies would have to pay FIFA and the amount of money FIFA could charge advertisers too. Whatever the reasons I'm sure FIFA have done it for the good of the game. ???

Oh I'm well aware that money is involved, that's the way it is, my point is, why the requirement for monochrome kits, as I can't see what that has to do with HD television pictures?

The teams would all have launched new kits for the World Cup anyway, so it's not as though this request would have made the slightest bit of difference to the revenue generated from that. Are HD broadcasts standard in Honduras, Iran, Ghana and Algeria these days?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You see, I think if we were going with a particular manufacturer for next season, it would have already been done, purely because of the lead in time. New kit launches are getting earlier and earlier, clubs often like to announce them (or even wear them) before the end of the preceding season, though I accept we have no real tradition of that.

The deal will have been done and signed long ago for the reasons you state.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unless he didnt want to tell me it was 100% signed then maybe thats the case, however I have no reason what so ever to not believe him, we are not talking a memeber of staff from the club shop here.

Wasn't suggesting anyone would be telling porkies, just that maybe they'd been given duff info, or had the wrong end of the stick.

From my limited knowledge of these things, clubs start working on their new kits very early on, I'm talking November/December at least. Particularly if you're working with a large manufacturer like Nike or adidas, who have many contracts. Depending on what sort of kit a club has- ie off-the-peg or bespoke- designs have to be produced and sent to clubs for selection/approval, which (from my limited experience of working on a product design team once) would take several weeks of passing the concepts back and forth, checking and re-checking the tiniest details ("Chrystal Palace", anyone?), tweaking to suit requirements and so on. Once it was provisionally agreed, they'd produce mock ups for final approval and send them across. Then you have to agree prices, quantities, required variations (female versions, kids shirts, pink ones for example), production deadlines, delivery schedules, pay the manufacturer for the order, and get the marketing campaign set up and in place ready for the launch.

It takes months and months. If we were truly only starting now, we'd probably be on for a September kit launch at the earliest. Probably wouldn't be the first time that had happened, but I like to think we're not quite such a Mickey Mouse club these days :) With a complete relaunch of both home and away kits, I suspect the Albion would quite like to have it out on the market sooner rather than later this time, certainly before the schools break up, because they know there are plenty of guys who like to wear their football shirts on their summer holidays abroad and so will happily splash out forty notes the second it hits the shops.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't suggesting anyone would be telling porkies, just that maybe they'd been given duff info, or had the wrong end of the stick.

From my limited knowledge of these things, clubs start working on their new kits very early on, I'm talking November/December at least. Particularly if you're working with a large manufacturer like Nike or adidas, who have many contracts. Depending on what sort of kit a club has- ie off-the-peg or bespoke- designs have to be produced and sent to clubs for selection/approval, which (from my limited experience of working on a product design team once) would take several weeks of passing the concepts back and forth, checking and re-checking the tiniest details ("Chrystal Palace", anyone?), tweaking to suit requirements and so on. Once it was provisionally agreed, they'd produce mock ups for final approval and send them across. Then you have to agree prices, quantities, required variations (female versions, kids shirts, pink ones for example), production deadlines, delivery schedules, pay the manufacturer for the order, and get the marketing campaign set up and in place ready for the launch.

It takes months and months. If we were truly only starting now, we'd probably be on for a September kit launch at the earliest. Probably wouldn't be the first time that had happened, but I like to think we're not quite such a Mickey Mouse club these days :) With a complete relaunch of both home and away kits, I suspect the Albion would quite like to have it out on the market sooner rather than later this time, certainly before the schools break up, because they know there are plenty of guys who like to wear their football shirts on their summer holidays abroad and so will happily splash out forty notes the second it hits the shops.

Yep.

And it's not just the matter of the shirts. There's the associated shorts and socks of course, but also all manner of player training kit as well as a vast array of the same and extra leisurewear for the club shop which needs to be fully stocked with (non-Errea) merchandise long before the start of next season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
From my limited knowledge of these things, clubs start working on their new kits very early on, I'm talking November/December at least.

The club had started meeting with suppliers before the end of last season

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yep.

And it's not just the matter of the shirts. There's the associated shorts and socks of course, but also all manner of player training kit as well as a vast array of the same and extra leisurewear for the club shop which needs to be fully stocked with (non-Errea) merchandise long before the start of next season.

And photographed in a hundred different ways, all being worn by mean & moody looking players (ideally the players who are guaranteed to still be there the following season, and even more ideally, ones who are contracted to wear the kit manufacturer's boots) in front of an arty backdrop, in every possible combination of home kit, away kit, training tops, hoodys, bench coats, tracksuit bottoms, woolly hats and so on.

Then the production types in the office have to come up with some poncy slogan with which to market the kit, do all the artwork for that (in conjunction with the supplier's design boffins), buy advertising and so on...

Oh, and send some emails out to supporters. Can't forget that :thumbsup:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Yep.

Out of interest Bozza, do you know who the new supplier is?

Edit. I wouldn't expect you to announce it here if you did so feel free to ignore :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest Bozza, do you know who the new supplier is?

Edit. I wouldn't expect you to announce it here if you did so feel free to ignore :)

I genuinely don't.

I imagine I could find out but then, obviously, I couldn't say. However, I'll admit to not caring one jot about who makes it. I'll buy it for the kids and, just maybe one for myself, regardless of who makes it and what it looks like. It's just what you do, isn't it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I'm quite the connoisseur of the sort of marketing-bollocks that accompanies the launch of a new kit. I especially like it when they try to make some sort of profound link between a supposed local tradition or characteristic and an element of the design. As if the players give a toss.

Here are some of my favourite examples of pretentious kit marketing bullshit:

-Japan shirt for the 2014 World Cup
Inheriting the DNA of Japan kits of old, adidas have created a new look packed with pride and passion. The concept of the shirt is “ENJIN (the act of ‘going into a huddle’). According to adidas the kit is an expression of the strong determination as the players and supporters unite as one and go into a huddle (“ENJIN”) to get ready for battle. On the left side of the chest are 11 lines spreading out from the emblem, expressing the way those players depart from the “ENJIN” to their respective positions on the pitch

-and the Japanese change kit...
Japan 2014 World Cup away jersey uses the same adidas shirt design as the team’s home kit. Both are inspired by the pre-game ”ENJIN” (“going into a huddle”). While in this formation, Japan’s players will form a ring via the orange arc graphic on the back of their new kits symbolizing “KESSOKU” (“bond, unity”). The eleven rays emanating from the Japan Football Association badge represent the players coming out of the Enjin.

-Mexico
The home shirt features a two tone green base with white and red trim on the chest and the graphic around the crest is designed to express the strength, passion and pride of Mexico.

-Holland
Featuring bold new design details, the 2014 Dutch home kit captures the unique spirit and enduring pride of Dutch football while offering the best in performance innovation. To celebrate the 125th anniversary of the founding of the KNBV (Royal Dutch Football Association), the 2014 jersey sports a striking new crest. This features an enlarged white lion to symbolize a new era in Dutch football and the team’s core values of simplicity, honor and unity.

-Greece

The symbolic handover of the jersey was designed as a continuation of Nike's “Attack as One” social activation during the tournament qualifiers. The campaign celebrates the spirit of unity and cohesion of the Greek team and their aspiration to play daring and attacking football even though they are famous for their rigid defense.

I really, really hope that Nike/adidas/Puma or whoever give us plenty of this sort of flowery talk when our new kit comes out :D

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
-Holland
Featuring bold new design details, the 2014 Dutch home kit captures the unique spirit and enduring pride of Dutch football while offering the best in performance innovation. To celebrate the 125th anniversary of the founding of the KNBV (Royal Dutch Football Association), the 2014 jersey sports a striking new crest. This features an enlarged white lion to symbolize a new era in Dutch football and the team’s core values of simplicity, honor and unity.

To be fair, the new Dutch kit is a thing of beauty

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Personally, I'm quite the connoisseur of the sort of marketing-bollocks that accompanies the launch of a new kit. I especially like it when they try to make some sort of profound link between a supposed local tradition or characteristic and an element of the design. As if the players give a toss.

Inheriting the DNA of Japan kits of old, adidas have created a new look packed with pride and passion. The concept of the shirt is “ENJIN (the act of ‘going into a huddle’). According to adidas the kit is an expression of the strong determination as the players and supporters unite as one and go into a huddle (“ENJIN”) to get ready for battle. On the left side of the chest are 11 lines spreading out from the emblem, expressing the way those players depart from the “ENJIN” to their respective positions on the pitch

Japan 2014 World Cup away jersey uses the same adidas shirt design as the team’s home kit. Both are inspired by the pre-game ”ENJIN” (“going into a huddle”). While in this formation, Japan’s players will form a ring via the orange arc graphic on the back of their new kits symbolizing “KESSOKU” (“bond, unity”). The eleven rays emanating from the Japan Football Association badge represent the players coming out of the Enjin.

-Mexico
The home shirt features a two tone green base with white and red trim on the chest and the graphic around the crest is designed to express the strength, passion and pride of Mexico.

-Holland

-Greece

The symbolic handover of the jersey was designed as a continuation of Nike's “Attack as One” social activation during the tournament qualifiers. The campaign celebrates the spirit of unity and cohesion of the Greek team and their aspiration to play daring and attacking football even though they are famous for their rigid defense.

I really, really hope that Nike/adidas/Puma or whoever give us plenty of this sort of flowery talk when our new kit comes out :D

Sorry - the Dutch and unity?

-Brighton
The kit features traditional blue and white stripes in a striking vertical 'bleublanc' arrangement. The shorts are blue, but with the freedom and flexibility of appearing to be white when the searing occasion demands. The numbers on the back have broken with recent tradition in that they are legible from further than arms-length away. The soaring seagull represents grace, power and the fact your binbags have seconds to live.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, the new Dutch kit is a thing of beauty

It may well be. But I bet you Robin van Persie doesn't run out on to the pitch thinking "You know what, I'm really feeling the team's core values of simplicity, honor and unity today, thanks to this enlarged crest".

I also think "unity" is a particularly amusing trait to try and link to the notoriously flaky & argumentative Dutch side.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I genuinely don't.

I imagine I could find out but then, obviously, I couldn't say. However, I'll admit to not caring one jot about who makes it. I'll buy it for the kids and, just maybe one for myself, regardless of who makes it and what it looks like. It's just what you do, isn't it?

What, that doesn't give good enough cause for a royal binfest on here though, both naive and foolish of you Bozza :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry - the Dutch and unity?

-Brighton
The kit features traditional blue and white stripes in a striking vertical 'bleublanc' arrangement. The shorts are blue, but with the freedom and flexibility of appearing to be white when the searing occasion demands. The numbers on the back have broken with recent tradition in that they are legible from further than arms-length away. The soaring seagull represents grace, power and the fact your binbags have seconds to live.

This is exactly the sort of thing I'm hoping for. Let me have a go.

"The shirt features a striking cobalt blue & pearl white vertical striation pattern, symbolising both the famous oceanfront location and the wholesome, righteous and exemplary principles for which the city is internationally renowned. Flashes of gold around the collar represent the sandy beaches which attract millions of visitors year round to this cosmopolitan destination, while the graceful seagull design has been thrillingly re-imagined and freed from its badge in order to soar powerfully skywards as the proud players of this acclaimed club aim to do in 2015".

Any chance of a job, Nike?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

-Mexico

-Holland

-Greece

To be fair, we did got some old cojones last summer about the round neck on this season's shirt symbolising the completion of our journey from the Goldstone to the Amex via Gillingham and Withdean.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh I like it. Can I have a go at marketing baloney as well.

Brighton
This year we have reached deep into the heritage of Sussex, stealing the vibrant blue from the Sussex flag to mix it with a pure white stripe reminiscent of crashing waves on a Brighton beach. By combining two vivid colours rich in local history we are appealing to the local fan as well as the untapped market in the wider Sussex countryside. This year, the stripe formation will be carefully constructed using a mathematical width calculation that matches exactly the patterns used by Atkins in his late nineteenth century "chaise transatlantique" deck chair. This reinforces Brighton's cultural importance of the global stage and can be a powerful branding tool for new and emerging markets. Stockings will be blue trimmed with white to suggest a clear horizon whilst shorts will be black to suggest a level of the 'unknown'. The mystique we believe will add to the impact of the haute-kit on opposition players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here