Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of UGLY (buildings) - not neccessarily Brighton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Somewhere down the line, these buildings serve a purpose, the main one being to make everything else in Brighton look good...

propertyimage1.jpg

001c0226069.jpg

5b284f67-216d-41bf-ad30-342b1c66d090-light.jpg

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Well living in Coventry I have a plethora of pictures to share. Some of the architecture in these parts is eye wateringly ugly. Thankfully they are slowly getting rid of most of the concrete monstrosities.

Coventry sports centre

2754199_0c1eb341.jpg

Beautiful car park

404467983_170bc4a949.jpg

Indoor market

2931103_da1f35d7.jpg

Very sad when you see some of the buildings that survived the war and realise what the city could look like today

spon1a.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
View attachment 58246

Who on earth allowed this to be built in Durham - totally dominates the skyline at the expense of everything else.

Or alternatively, just an excuse to put a rose amongst the thorns. I dislike most of what is on here, too, especially the walkie-talkie.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
portslade-sixth-form.jpg

I actually found this old thing quite terrifying when I rocked up as an 11 year old.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Especially for you all I have grabbed this image of the Torrington Car Park in Tunbridge Wells

View attachment 58235

Apparently based on an original design (rejected at the time as being "too brutal") by Albert Speer for the Atlantic Wall. Built on the site of my first school, Christ Church in Tunbridge Wells. Anyone else go there?

I actually have happy memories of that building - I worked there for a few years whilst I was at school.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very sad when you see some of the buildings that survived the war and realise what the city could look like today

View attachment 58245

That's a bit of a con though - those houses came from separate streets and were physically moved into one street when Coventry was rebuilt after the way. They're nice houses but it does have a theme park feel to the place.

Coventry does have the outstanding cathedral though - possibly my favourite post-war building in England

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Edward Street, Brighton:

Attachments

• astudejaoublie-brighton-national-spiritualist-church-architecture-overton-1964-9.jpg
    astudejaoublie-brighton-national-spiritualist-church-architecture-overton-1964-9.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 287
  • m_Spiitualist_Church_1.jpg
    m_Spiitualist_Church_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 315

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
That's a bit of a con though - those houses came from separate streets and were physically moved into one street when Coventry was rebuilt after the way. They're nice houses but it does have a theme park feel to the place.

Coventry does have the outstanding cathedral though - possibly my favourite post-war building in England

I wasn't aware of that!

Agreed, both the old (what remains of it) and new cathedral are stunning. The streets around that area remind me of somewhere like Canterbury or York, much nicer than the concrete jungle the rest of the city has become.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

My then girlfriend, now wife, was a student at Warwick forty years ago and their graduation was in Coventry Cathedral. It's very impressive - I loved the way they combined the new building with the ruins of the old. Sent some powerful messages.

And Graham Sutherland's famous tapestry is breathtaking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, until they build a power station or something at the end of our garden!
10527536_10152163141382245_3044696298627968427_n.jpg

I used to go to the Newhaven Boys Club which was housed in that building to the right at the back of the recreation ground. This is all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here