Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread full of UGLY (buildings) - not neccessarily Brighton

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks, haven't been down that way for ages.

Don't blame you.

The judges' comments...

“This recently completed block of flats by Molyneux Architects gives East Brighton yet another feeble building and reinforces the divide between rich and poor. So bad on so many levels. Described by the architects as ‘a lively contributor to the immediate locality’. It is these mediocre buildings that damage our cities more than bolder failures.”

“The building replaced a chapel and has included some space for worship at its southern end. A bit of coloured glass and a few fins mark the religious bit. The southern end faces the sea.

“It is a joyless collection of materials and colours, some vaguely historicist references to nearby conservation areas, a bit of ‘feature banding’. Coloured render is probably meant to jolly it up, but serves only to drag it down in a sad confluence of materials and metaphors.

“The roof looks like it’s made of plastic, the detailing is all over the place (presumably the architects were not employed past the planning stage). This really is a carbuncle: a boil on the face of Brighton.

“There have been so few good new buildings in Brighton over the last few decades that to have yet another pointless pile of mediocrity is depressing indeed. All the fun is out at Falmer, with great new university buildings, a stadium and FCB’s new academy. Why can’t the city centre have the buildings it deserves?”

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
All the fun is out at Falmer, with great new university buildings, a stadium and FCB’s new academy. Why can’t the city centre have the buildings it deserves?”[/I]

Who on Earth are FCB?

Have Barcelona moved in without my noticing?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
ESCC County Hall building in Lewes. Completely out of character building for the town and as it was build on a hill, sticks out above the sky line like a sore thumb

County_Hall%2C_Lewes_-_geograph.org.uk_-_896752.jpg

1843997999.jpg

Unsurprisingly, most scenic photos of Lewes are shot whilst facing away from County Hall

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
ESCC County Hall building in Lewes. Completely out of character building for the town and as it was build on a hill, sticks out above the sky line like a sore thumb

County_Hall%2C_Lewes_-_geograph.org.uk_-_896752.jpg

1843997999.jpg

Unsurprisingly, most scenic photos of Lewes are shot whilst facing away from County Hall

Agree 100%, I love looking at the buildings in Lewes, apart from that one.

Especially for you all I have grabbed this image of the Torrington Car Park in Tunbridge Wells

Torringtion Car Park TW.jpg

Apparently based on an original design (rejected at the time as being "too brutal") by Albert Speer for the Atlantic Wall. Built on the site of my first school, Christ Church in Tunbridge Wells. Anyone else go there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here