Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A long season for Luton?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A bit of confirmation bias at play here I believe. They had a few chances and on another day would've had a couple more goals. We punished them when they got tired but they will get better as the season goes on. It's a big adjustment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Shame he ruined it with a non-league bit of defending. He was very visibly knackered after less than half an hour
Yep, spent most of the game either blowing out of his backside or doing keepy ups in his own 6 yard box.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No. But I don't see how that has anything to do with underestimating the quality of the team. Just because the are Luton and people have never heard of them before in an EPL context does not mean they are going to be terrible. Look at Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and even Leeds had a couple of decent seasons before going down.
The chances are they will go down, but it is extremely bad to just write them off because they are "little old Luton". It is statements like this thread that start to make us no different from the entitled big six fans.
You're still chatting shit.

We all know who Luton are. Some of us watched us against them in 2007 in Withdean. The fact that their players are unfit and not very good isn't anything to do with entitlement.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I think up until 2-0 they were alright. Soft pen gave them hope but they were stunned by Adingra's goal soon after.
It reminded me of our first PL game against city where Dale Stephens got caught in possession for their first goal.
It's early days for them and part of me thinks they'll be alright in the end.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We should/could have scored 8 - and we far from at our best.

They don't have the quality of players needed - and more worringy for them didn't look fit enough.

25 points max for them (3 being against us at home - just the sort of game we'll lose)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think I watched a different game to everyone else. I thought Luton did really well. In fact they played Brighton at their own game. They sucked them in with everyone behind the ball and then broke very quickly. They exposed Brighton on the flanks and could easily have scored 2 or 3. It was a very open game and each side could have scored plenty. At 2-1 it was anyone's game
Plenty? I think you're being VERY generous there. They scored from a penalty that shouldn't have been given (according to many neutrals, as well as Albion fans) and had three shots on target the whole game. I thought they offered very little and were outmuscled and ran out of puff very early. Whether that will change over the season (or for their home games) who knows.

The match reminded me of Brighton's first PL game against City. We looked like we might be in the game, but a few silly mistakes led to goals and City didn't really look like they'd got out of first gear. It's not arrogance, as some of their fans seem to think, it (to borrow a phrase) is what it is...

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
You're still chatting shit.

We all know who Luton are. Some of us watched us against them in 2007 in Withdean. The fact that their players are unfit and not very good isn't anything to do with entitlement.
You might not have heard of Luton before Saturday, but some of us can remember playing them in the 1960's.
Don't twist my words. I said "never heard of them before in an EPL context". I very carefully selected them to account for the fact Brighton and other fans may have come across them in the past. As far as I am aware they were not playing EPL soccer in 2007 at Withdean nor was there an EPL in the 1960s.
Just be happy for them, they are doing really well as a club. I for one hope they stay up. We need new blood and a turn over of the establishment.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I think up until 2-0 they were alright. Soft pen gave them hope but they were stunned by Adingra's goal soon after.
It reminded me of our first PL game against city where Dale Stephens got caught in possession for their first goal.
It's early days for them and part of me thinks they'll be alright in the end.
Exactly. People also said many of the things you see spouted in this thread about us after that game as well. But we stayed up. Luton may, or may not. But any one with half a brain will not judge a team on one game away from home in a new league.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Spoke to Luton fans on the train from Lewes, they were very confident they'd get something just by scrapping and roughing us up a bit.

They're in for a hard lesson in the coming weeks, a long tough season ahead
Problem for them is it’s not a “scrappy” league. Teams are too good and will just play round you.

They will get more of a chance at home though. They need some big 1-0s if they are to have any chance.

I’d love for them to stay up, but I just can’t see it happening. But it’ll pay for their new stadium and they’ll go back down with some decent Championship players w/ parachute payments, so it’s a big platform to build from.’

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Don't twist my words. I said "never heard of them before in an EPL context". I very carefully selected them to account for the fact Brighton and other fans may have come across them in the past. As far as I am aware they were not playing EPL soccer in 2007 at Withdean nor was there an EPL in the 1960s.
Just be happy for them, they are doing really well as a club. I for one hope they stay up. We need new blood and a turn over of the establishment.
What is soccer? And what is the EPL? I don’t like them because they pelted coins at me when I was 13 year old in the JPT semi finals at Kenilworth Road. Also at the game on Saturday, after allowing them to stay in the north while the trains were up the shoot, they proceeded to try and start fights, and then punched the train repeatedly as it left. If they go down I couldn’t care less.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I think they will go down but could stay up by just how many poor teams there are this season.

Easily going to be a record lowest points total this season for all 3 relegated teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here