Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Great!

What about covering the 8m+ loss that "having ambition" will cost?

FFP is not an excuse. TB has said many times that the club needs to be self-financing as he is not going to dip his hand in his pocket forever. I am sure that he would have said this irrespective of FFP.

Alternatively, 2 Million Pies ? I'm up to two a match now.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
We have a manager who is feeling his way and doing pretty well imo, new managers need time, fans should be patient. we are hardly bottom or getting outplayed either.

Agree but do people not expect more quality to be brought in or are we happy to not achieve and accept realities and become a derby county

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree but do people not expect more quality to be brought in or are we happy to not achieve and accept realities and become a derby county

We came 4TH last season. We haven't really weakened the squad. What are you on about?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Oscar's job is to bring more quality out of the players he has first, only then will he know what quality he needs to bring in. To me this is common sense to do it in this order?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

If we don't manage to reach the play-offs this season it will be better to be a club like Derby instead of a club like Portsmouth. The current side is good enough as it is.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And you think Macca will be back to his best this side of the new year do you?
If he is back at the end of October and takes 4 weeks to get back to his best what is the point of paying a player like Billy Sharp £20k a week for 5 weeks to warm the bench as 3rd choice ?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
We came 4TH last season. We haven't really weakened the squad. What are you on about?

We've lost the best left back outside the premiership who not only brought his own game but in my opinion lifted others around him, players like Buckley and Lua Lua are not the same players when we signed them, lets be honest here. We've also lost a very good manager who got every bit out of the squad in my opinion.

So with the currant squad then, you feel we can achieve top 6?

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
If he is back at the end of October and takes 4 weeks to get back to his best what is the point of paying a player like Billy Sharp £20k a week for 5 weeks to warm the bench as 3rd choice ?

He wont be back in October, end of. It will also take a month or so of development games and reserves etc. Surely this division is a squad rotation division with 46 + games. You cant play Leo every week and expect him not to burn out.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We've lost the best left back outside the premiership who not only brought his own game but in my opinion lifted others around him, players like Buckley and Lua Lua are not the same players when we signed them, lets be honest here. We've also lost a very good manager who got every bit out of the squad in my opinion.

Despite having to prune our currant squad, I see no raisin why we can't mount an a sultana play-off position.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If we ever get to the Premier League, then great - I'll look forward to the ride. However, I would rather stay in the Championship forever than for our club to go bust. I have absolutely no problem with us not spending our way through the transfer window.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yes I do. But what's the rush? It's Oscar's first season here, and he barely got a pre-season. I reckon we'll finish 5th-9th this year, and DEFINITELY higher next year.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Yes I do. But what's the rush? It's Oscar's first season here, and he barely got a pre-season. I reckon we'll finish 5th-9th this year, and DEFINITELY higher next year.

I'm afraid I do not share your optimism but the reason I see it as a slight rush is this. I see us and our squad a little like Arsenal. We have quality in the likes of Leo, Bridcutt & Kush but just not enough to challenge. We're for me two players light like Arsenal always are. I think Leo will leave in Jan or the summer once he starts getting real attention of bigger teams than that lot from SE25 and seems a waste to have a 25+ goal a season man if you're not going to achieve anything.

I don't have confidence in the likes of Lua Lua or Buckley anymore and therefore feel we're short on depth but quality also.

My thoughts, hope i'm wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I'm afraid I do not share your optimism but the reason I see it as a slight rush is this. I see us and our squad a little like Arsenal. We have quality in the likes of Leo, Bridcutt & Kush but just not enough to challenge. We're for me two players light like Arsenal always are. I think Leo will leave in Jan or the summer once he starts getting real attention of bigger teams than that lot from SE25 and seems a waste to have a 25+ goal a season man if you're not going to achieve anything.

I don't have confidence in the likes of Lua Lua or Buckley anymore and therefore feel we're short on depth but quality also.

If only we could transfer some supporters out of the club and get some more quality ones in :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

LuaLua has NEVER been good enough at Championship level. He was superb at League One but never shown it consistently when given chances against better defenders. Buckley goes in and out of form every season.

Why don't you think we will continue to bring in quality players? Ulloa's signing wasn't THAT long ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is very much my view but slightly lower, I think 7th -10th. I think that we missed the greatest opportunity last season, but as usual the expert on everything TLO said I was talking gibberish.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Totally agree

I agree entirely, lets ship out all these sensible folk and ship in some Palace or Portsmouth supporters then we can spend spend spend to our hearts content, go bust, rip off a load of local businesses and then do it all over again.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sorry, but is there some sort of premiership musical chairs going on this season? What's the rush to get promoted?

We've got a strong squad and we can compete. We should build slowly and live within our means.

We'll get there - and still be here - unlike some I fear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here