Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
This sounds like a post from someone who watched the England game last night, had a few beers too many for a school night, woke up with a sore head and had an argument with his hand.
Just in case it wasn't a fishing trip, remember what happens to clubs who overstretch their budget and go for glory too quickly?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Ignoring FFP: is an annual loss of 8m not a good enough excuse to not go mad on transfers for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE

No, which football clubs outside the prem operate in profit?

Fair enough. Sounds like you'd be happy (and have the means) to pay £7999200 in addition to your season ticket and a season's worth of pies every year to cover the loss then. Get in touch with Tony to discuss instead of NSC.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
TBF I'm disappointed by our new recruits too.

However, we lost over £8m last season. FFP is regulation, even if it's a bit toothless. Just because it's weak is not a reason to ignore it. We cannot expect to sign quality players without paying a significant premium. QPR can do it because they are f**ked re FFP regardless of what they do, so they are effectively spending two years worth of spend before they have a transfer embargo. Wigan are spending their parachute payment plus they have recouped most of the expenditure from player sales. Forest are just plain cheating. Who else has spent a significant sum?

If they get back in the PL fine, if not they are going to be in massive trouble in the next few seasons, is that really a gamble that anyone would want to make with the sanctions likely to be applied for failure?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

Good rant.

Utterly meaningless, but well ranted nonetheless.

What a shame for you instant gratification isn't coming your way.

Last edited:

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

If you think that TB has invested the millions he has and lacks ambition then your an idiot!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Did Swansea or Norwich or palace or Hull invest millions and millions to go up?
No.
Yes, we need an improved squad to sustain a challenge for the season but should that come at a risk to our future?
No.
Can we do it without breaking the bank?
Yes.

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
With that mentality you'd be better off supporting Forest or QPR

Yoda

English & European

That's just crap for starters. The majority of clubs in this division this summer have MADE money on their transfer deallings. The biggest exception is Forest who have by-passed FFP due to their chairman's company sponsoring the club to the tune of a 8-9 figure fee.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I am sure it was a match about that time that Kit Napier scored direct from a corner, but then my memory is not that good and I am sure someone on this board will correct me.

my point here was that things change FFP is very boring but has to be adhered to otherwise we will end up playing the likes of Barrow again

My first game at the Goldstone (hence my username), remember Barrow's boring reddy brown shirts and how Albions blue & white stripes shone out against them. Just looked on Hiney's website and it was played on 27/03/64 and we won 2-0, Kit Napier didn't play we had Wally Gould and John (Granny) Goodchild on the wings.
Nearly 50 years ago!
:eek:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
did you ever see the Albion play Barrow at the Goldstone ............that was very boring too!

Nonsense. That was one of the most exciting games in my long history. Bobby Smith made his debut, scored 2, there were 21,000 of us there and it started one of the best seasons I can remember (1964-1965)

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
:clap: Couple of really excellent points well made:

Would be saying this if we'd bought Ulloa in the summer rather than last January. *shrugs*

I have a feeling this was the original plan but GP convinced TB to do it early (and quite rightly so). I reckon the purchase of Ulloa was outside the original 2012/13 budget and was carried forward/adjusted to this season's (so the club saying we have a similar budget to last season's is technically true).

Have you learnt nothing from what happened in the 80's. We nearly went ****ing bust, and were very nearly wound up. ... Don't wish your life away, and enjoy the ride.

For me, this is what it's all about. Despite how good the football was under Poyet, he didn't *understand* this point and how important it is to (most) BHA fans.. once bitten, twice shy. I know it can be considered boring, but it's all about sustainability so we (and our descendants!) can all continue watching the Albion at Falmer for 100+ years. As @narly101 says, enjoy the ride cos it's gonna to get bloody exciting!

Nonsense. That was one of the most exciting games in my long history. Bobby Smith made his debut, scored 2, there were 21,000 of us there and it started one of the best seasons I can remember (1964-1965)

Sticks in my memory for the same reasons. Mind you, some of us uber old gits have watched the Albion at Barrow.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
What he said.

Am I alone in wanting the club to be run better financially more than I want promotion?

Nope, me too. If I was offered, today, the choices of:

(a) spending big money, getting promoted for one season, getting smashed every week and then going bust, TB pulling his investment and then us plummeting down the divisions and possibly out of business,
Or
(b) consolidating for 5-10 years if necessary, cutting our cloth and being sensible financially before eventually getting to the prem and staying there...

I know what I'd choose.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did Swansea or Norwich or palace or Hull invest millions and millions to go up?
No.
Yes, we need an improved squad to sustain a challenge for the season but should that come at a risk to our future?
No.
Can we do it without breaking the bank?
Yes.

That is a very interesting point. At which point do you assume that the squad is good enough not to spend any money and accept that the riches of the Premiership are well beyond Championship teams apart from those who have benefitted from parachute payments etc.

I have some sympathy with the OP.

One would have assumed the 8 million loss people keep banging on about is now vastly diminished and steps have been taken, staff redundancies, fantastic season ticket sales etc to bring this down dramatically.

The issue I have at the moment is one of expectation. TB spent out on a stonkingly good new stadium...it was all shiny and new and with it came success under Poyet ( to some the great satan) and we have seen imports like Orlandi, Lopez, Ulloa, Bruno, Vicente, Kushak etc come in and set our imaginations alight....now things are settling down and we are seeing players who , although it is still early doors, appear to not be the players we thought they were..Lopez, Lua Lua, dare I say it Buckley. Yes we have brought in players, but they appear to be journeymen, like agustein( sp?) Andrews etc who have been around the block although the positive side is that we have seen FosterCaskey and March being introduced, which is good. Our expectation are therefore to bring in the type of player like Orlandi and Vicente. The argument that appears to be doingthe rounds is that we cant afford those type of players because of FFP.

That is the only issue I think the OP has.

Personally I dont really care about bringing in any more players. I think we have the basis of a half decent side (a although the performance against millwall was worrying) and if we are going to be the goody two shoes of the division, stick by the rules and hope that all the other clubs who flaunt FFP will suddenly go bust next year, then we may end up going up by default!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We're actually a better team than last year so the argument for throwing money at signings who won't improve the team doesn't really work.
I guess the question to be asked is: who would you have out-bid and bought in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here