Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I dont understand why people think the squad isn't good enough to mount a top 6 challenge. We were the form team of 2013. That's a period of over 20 games and we were top of the form table. From that squad we have lost Bridge, Hammond and Dicker. We've brought in Ward, Agustien and Andrews. We were never going to replace Bridge with a player of the same calibre but in Ward we appear to have done as well as we could have hoped, i.e a decent championship player. Agustien and Andrews -so far- look an upgrade on Hammond and Dicker. So the squad is a little weaker at left back but astronger in centre midfield. Why then are we suddenly not going to be good enough to be in or around the play offs?

The only thing that could hinder us is Oscar as in how long it takes him to get his ideas across and how well he copes with the rigours of a 46(or 49) game season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd possibly agree with some of this if this was the LAST SEASON OF ALL TIME.

Fortunately, there are plenty more to come. Keep calm, we'll get there. And we're doing it the right way.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
So is doesn't show a lack of ambition to go for poxy Obika compared to lets say a player who scores goals like Billy Sharpe?

Are we that poor that we cant afford the wages for 3 months?!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So is doesn't show a lack of ambition to go for poxy Obika compared to lets say a player who scores goals like Billy Sharpe?

Why would Billy Sharp come to us to be THIRD choice striker?! Think about it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Please tell me your not suggesting Ashley Barnes is better than Billy Sharpe?

1. It's you're
2. *Files you with the other people who massively underrate Ashley Barnes, who has a record of 1 goal per 2 games over 100 starts, many of which were from defensive left midfield (?!)
3. I don't know who Billy Sharpe is.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Please tell me your not suggesting Ashley Barnes is better than Billy Sharpe?

CMS is , so Billy Sharp would become 3rd choice once Macca returns.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think it will take to up to Christmas before the squad fully understands Oscars way of playing, to the point it becomes natural and fluid.

Until then this is all a learning curve and the results shouldn't deter us from embracing what he is teaching. You don’t learn anything from playing safe and the players need to be taken out of their comfort zone, make mistakes and learn from them.

Mid table at Christmas with a strong finish, fighting for a top 6 place on the last day of the season.

We'll if we are going to finish in the play offs history says that's the best way to do it!

Personally, although it's early days I don't see that with this squad. I fully expect them to improve as the season goes on and Oscar adjusts but I just don't think we have enough goals in the side to mount a sustained challenge this season. The league is significantly stronger than last season...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What a load of crap. Why can we not credibly mount another challenge given that we have virtually the same squad, with the added bonus of having our star striker available (hopefully) for 46 games instead of 20?
Agree , Palarse managed to finish in the play-offs and get promoted with a weaker squad than ours and the current squad isn't much different to what we had last season in terms of quality.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

There are a load of things that I buy the budget version of because I don't use them much, not because I'm poor and don't have the money.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
1. It's you're
2. *Files you with the other people who massively underrate Ashley Barnes, who has a record of 1 goal per 2 games over 100 starts, many of which were from defensive left midfield (?!)
3. I don't know who Billy Sharpe is.

1. Oh good a grammar correction, thank you so much.
2. Barnes has a 1 in 3 scoring record for us and spends half the game in the defensive half.
3. I take that as a joke

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
Another clueless JCL (the thread starter)

Don't put me in the same boat as the plastic prem supporting morons who turn up because we have a new ground buddy. I've supported this club 35+ games a season for almost 20 years now. Because my opinion doesn't go with how you or others thinks does not make me one of the new breed happy clappers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. The league is significantly stronger than last season...

So strong that Blackpool who we thrashed at the tail end of last season are top? The league may be stronger but I believe that we are too. The only doubt I would have is whether Garcia is the real deal. Personally I think he may be and I also believe that he will be given the backing to bring in players if we need them. Because Garcia has not signed players does not mean that the funds aren't there, within reason, should he need to. I am impressed that he wants to see exactly what we already have here before buying more players. Yes, it will be a problem if Ulloa gets injured or loses form but can you be certain that we won't be able to sign a quality striker on loan if this happens? I am sure that no quality striker is going to want to come here as a bench warmer, which is all he would be at the moment :shrug:

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
There are a load of things that I buy the budget version of because I don't use them much, not because I'm poor and don't have the money.

Who says they wont get used? We're hardly top are we. We're not taking teams apart so why wouldn't a decent loan player get a go? Unless you're saying that we have a manager that will only play one way...with one up top.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who says they wont get used? We're hardly top are we. We're not taking teams apart so why wouldn't a decent loan player get a go? Unless you're saying that we have a manager that will only play one way...with one up top.

We have a manager who is feeling his way and doing pretty well imo, new managers need time, fans should be patient. we are hardly bottom or getting outplayed either.

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
If we're going to edge this towards why the squad isn't strong enough then so be it. Buckley isn't the player he was. Lua Lua's attitude stinks, We don't have the goals in the team, the league is stronger, the manager will take a season to adjust to the league and surroundings and Gus took 3 years to build a highly competitive championship team.

In this division it's hard, long and arduous and therefore need a decent strength in depth, we don't have that. One injury to god forbid Ulloa and we're in trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here