Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A killer stat from a Toon point of view.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sorry for late reply, my butler has just spilled claret all over my crocs :kiss:

Rather stupid it's Tuesday everyone knows it's his day off.

You do realise it's often cheaper in the country.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I once went to Turner's Hill.

Be fair the north east is a shitehole.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yeah I got the point you were trying to make, still doesn't make the way you posted it any less twattish.

So I upset a few by saying it's a shithole.

Fine so I'll rage every time someone says Croydon or Selhurst is a shithole, especially as my wife was born there. That will make 90% of NSC twats.

No I let it go.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I once went to Turner's Hill.

Be fair the north east is a shitehole.

Having lived in Ardingly for 14 years previously, I concur. The cross roads is simply the worse thing known to modern life.

Yoda

English & European
Depends how you measure success? On a winning percentage, yes, Bruce is marginally ahead at 30.1% to 28.9%.

But, in avoiding defeat, Potter is ahead with Bruce losing 41.9% compared to Potters 38.9%

In terms of points won per game, Potter is also ahead with 1.1375, whereas Bruce has 1.125 following the weekends games.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I would say that it’s not quite fair/appropriate to compare Brighton and Newcastle’s spending over the last 5 years, as I would argue they came up with a far stronger squad than ours, with much more Prem experience.

We needed to spend more than them to catch up to their standard, arguably.

But also, I don’t fully buy that Newcastle is a huge club overall anymore - I think that’s slightly outdated thinking. Strong local attendance means a lot less nowadays compared to global reach. Globally, Newcastle are a pretty insignificant club compared to Man City or even a club like Leicester now, I would argue.

Mitch73

Sep 2, 2021
I would say that it’s not quite fair/appropriate to compare Brighton and Newcastle’s spending over the last 5 years, as I would argue they came up with a far stronger squad than ours, with much more Prem experience.

We needed to spend more than them to catch up to their standard, arguably.

But also, I don’t fully buy that Newcastle is a huge club overall anymore - I think that’s slightly outdated thinking. Strong local attendance means a lot less nowadays compared to global reach. Globally, Newcastle are a pretty insignificant club compared to Man City or even a club like Leicester now, I would argue.

I think you’re right that in global terms they’re probably insignificant at the moment but I’d still say they’re a huge club, the support is phenomenal and with a bit of the success and the right person owning them I think things would be a lot different. The media seem to absolutely love them as well, especially with Shearer droning on about them all the time, similar to Lineker and Leicester.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I think the guy has a point but you can prove anything with stats, as we know.
What I do know is that I love watching the way Brighton play and the Nukey fans I know hate the way they play. That’s why they would like Potter but also tell me they would never think he would join them.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
A bit of perspective here this guy is a good friend of Steve Bruce and he is constantly battling with the Geordies defending everything Steve Bruce.

The fans argument against him is not so much directly with the results but more about the wider picture that they are bumbling from game to game season to season with no plan, no identity no way of playing other than scrapping results The fans are make the comparison between Potter and Bruce to say a club in similar circumstances (us) is approaching it much better.

Would you want Steve Bruce managing us?

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm a Southerner born and bred, but there are certainly plenty of places around Newcastle where I would happily live. My son-in-law came from Bishop Auckland, so we have gravitated up that way quite often.

My wife's from Bishop and her dad lived there for years before he had to move down south to be looked after.

I've travelled the country watching Brighton and I can't think of a town I'd like to live in less than Bishop. It's beyond parody. Maybe Crawley or Milton Keynes just because I don't do new towns but other than that, almost every place I've been to for football has been better and that includes Rotherham.

However, it's not indicative of the area as a whole for me. Darlington and Durham are great cities, Newcastle's nightlife and shopping are outstanding and Northumberland is beautiful.

But Bishop ****ing Auckland? Never again.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A bit of perspective here this guy is a good friend of Steve Bruce and he is constantly battling with the Geordies defending everything Steve Bruce.

The fans argument against him is not so much directly with the results but more about the wider picture that they are bumbling from game to game season to season with no plan, no identity no way of playing other than scrapping results The fans are make the comparison between Potter and Bruce to say a club in similar circumstances (us) is approaching it much better.

Would you want Steve Bruce managing us?

Never.

Bruce is a great Championship manager but struggles at EPL level - exactly the sort of cheap option Ashley likes.

When Newcastle came to Brighton last season, Bruce was absolutely schooled with Potter’s two false wing-backs and strikers as wingers. He hadn’t a clue what to do. We smashed them but should have beaten them more as the unmarked Moder had the freedom of the their penalty area in the first 20mins and should have grabbed a brace. Poor Bruce was stunned!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never.

Bruce is a great Championship managers but struggles at EPL level - exactly the sort of cheap option Ashley likes.

When Newcastle came to Brighton last season, Bruce was absolutely schooled with Potter’s two false wing-backs and strikers as wingers. He hadn’t a clue what to do. We smashed them but should have beaten them more as the unmarked Moder had the freedom of the their penalty area in the first 20mins and should have grabbed a brace. Poor Bruce was stunned!

In a game where he didn't have Wilson, St Maximum and at least one other.
At 8pm on Saturday night, mid March, no fans.
6 games into a run of 7 without a win.
Joelynton up front.

Yes GPott played a blinder with a tactical masterclass, but it was a free swing.
Not a dig many a manager wouldn't have taken the chance, his predecessor certainly wouldn't have done.
Doing that stuff is what makes Albion matches enjoyable again, but due to circumstances it wasn't a gamble.

Bruce gets blamed for all their loses.
The coach gets credit for all their wins.
Ashley and Bruce get blamed for all their bad signings.
A coach gets credit for the good ones.

Nothing will ever change as the Geordies won't be loving it if a Manchester club lose and hand them a title.
So whoever is in charge, using them to wash the blood off their hands, won't ever be good enough.
Won't ever appointment a manager worthy of an occasional yo-yo Newcastle.

Tony Bloom would have been hounded out of Geordieland, for not being ambitious enough.

Well when I say hounded out I mean half a dozen knobs would have walked from the local pub chanting hatred before paying to go in and watch the football.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My wife's from Bishop and her dad lived there for years before he had to move down south to be looked after.

I've travelled the country watching Brighton and I can't think of a town I'd like to live in less than Bishop. It's beyond parody. Maybe Crawley or Milton Keynes just because I don't do new towns but other than that, almost every place I've been to for football has been better and that includes Rotherham.

However, it's not indicative of the area as a whole for me. Darlington and Durham are great cities, Newcastle's nightlife and shopping are outstanding and Northumberland is beautiful.

But Bishop ****ing Auckland? Never again.

Agree! I wasn’t commending Bishop Auckland! I was surprised by Darlington! And Durham is just lovely. Like most places - even Burnley - there are plenty of lovely places around you could live.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The bloke's argument is flawed within the first few seconds of his diatribe.

He makes the point about 'since we both got promoted in 2017, and have spent the same amount of money'. Why? What purpose does only going back those four and a bit seasons have? It completely overlooks the point that Newcastle have had around 20 years' worth of being in the Premier League to accrue their playing assets, and establish themselves in the Premier League. In effect, they have had Premier League squads since day one.

Brighton, on the other hand, have had to buy virtually an entire Premier League squad from scratch. So the points he makes are NOT comparable.

Ultimately, he claims that the perception is down to the level of expectation. But, in truth, it's about the direction of journey - another point he overlooks (he merely points out that 'Potter is seen to be doing a good job' - NOT that Brighton is actually a well-run club, certainly in comparison to Newcastle).

In short, it's a poorly put-together argument, and the relative records of the two clubs are largely meaningless. He was lucky Glenn only pulled a face. If that was an on-pitch encounter, Glenn would have pulled his face off.

And while we're at it, shall we talk about Newcastle's record against Brighton in recent seasons?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Steve Bruce's problem at Newcastle is still Rafa Benitez. If you look at the list of the ten managers before those two:

Steve Mclaren, John Carver, Alan Pardew, Chris Hughton, Alan Shearer, Joe Kinnear, Kevin Keegan (pt2), Nigel Pearson, Sam Allardyce and Glenn Roeder;

it is the Champions League winner Benitez who sticks out like a sore thumb. Steve Bruce looks like a perfect fit. Unfortunately for him, he's the one who followed Benitez, who's decision to go there and stay there was about a love of the City, rather than the stature of the club. Benitez's tenure seems to have reminded the fans of the brief period in the nineties when John Hall's money had them challenging the big boys and sparked a tiny flame of hope that that may ever be back. The appointment of Bruce reminded them that it won't. Under Ashley they will never be more than what they were for the three or four decades before John Hall; a big noise locally, but also-rans nationally. Although Mike Ashley has actually spent an average of £45 million per year on transfers over the last ten years, compared with Tony Bloom's very generous £30 million, Brighton fans know that Bloom is a fan, is committed and isn't trying to sell. They know that the set up at the club has been designed to give whoever is manager every advantage possible. They know that a manager will be carefully chosen on the basis of having the skills needed to work in that set up. They have seen the plan produce the longest sustained period in the top flight in the club's history. Steve Bruce, like so many of the names that preceded him at Newcastle under Ashley is a decent enough old school British manager, but to fans, he doesn't represent a plan or an intended medium to long term direction of travel. Instead he represents the perceived malaise of Ashley's tenure. He is in the same position as Roy Hodgson was at Palace. He was brought in as a short term survival plan. The fans know it and they have always resented him for it. His teams won't ever play entertaining enough football to win them around, so they are locked in an unhappy marriage until either Ashley can sell, Bruce breaks physically or psychologically, or relegation looks likely and Ashley is left with no choice but to sack him and find some money to throw at Sam Allardyce or an equivalent.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Newcastle fans are like West Ham fans. Entitled fans that magically think they should be doing better than they are, despite having very little (or none) previous success. Both clubs think they deserve some billionaire foreign anonymous owner to bankroll them to potential success. Nobs

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with those saying .....

Ashley has backed his manager's with big money signings. We couldn't have competed wage-wise for Callum Wilson and we've never spent anything like what they have for Joelinton

Bruce is a competent but functional manager and a decent bloke. If you ranked all the PL managers in order, he'd be about the 15th most competent. Not terrible

Benitez was popular with their fans mostly because he kept his distance to Ashley rather than he gave them world beating football. They were just as ugly on the eye then as they are now.

Newcastle is a decent city but it's remote and the north east generally is perceived as unglamorous and a hard sell. I wouldn't underestimate proximity to London as a factor in attracting foreign signings. Rightly or wrongly, many will listen to WAG's wanting to be in or near London and i'm sure there will be some who will factor in temperature.

Newcastle fans actively welcoming and campaigning for a Saudi owner are beyond stupid

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Newcastle fans are like West Ham fans. Entitled fans that magically think they should be doing better than they are, despite having very little (or none) previous success. Both clubs think they deserve some billionaire foreign anonymous owner to bankroll them to potential success. Nobs

Though they've gone quiet about their hatred for their ownership. A bit like Man U fans

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here