[Football] A killer stat from a Toon point of view.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
For all north east clubs it’s the distance from London that matters.

Been spoken about for years. To get players to go up there they have to pay high wages. No surprise then Newcastle’s wage costs are so much higher than ours.

Had many holidays up in the area, love Durham but I’m not the one that needs to be convinced.

Yes of course, but also because we're buying much younger players

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe not, but l guess one can say much the same thing about many areas of this country. Britiain is hardly known for it's sunny climes after all. Lots of nightlife to be had for said WAGS in Toon though!

I remember Dick Knight saying years ago the problem facing Brighton was attracting the players to the club from up north. Reason being at that level the salary affects their lifestyle and many couldn't afford to come south. I know in the EPL the cost of housing etc is probably not an issue. It works both ways. I would add though those that did make the decision to come down most have either remained living in the area or at least kept their property as an investment.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The stats are very similar but the mentality and tactics are vastly different. The problem is that Newcastle fans don't want to be competing with Brighton in a desperate attempt to avoid relegation whilst we are fairly convinced we are moving in the right direction as we develop plenty of young and exciting footballers

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I remember Dick Knight saying years ago the problem facing Brighton was attracting the players to the club from up north. Reason being at that level the salary affects their lifestyle and many couldn't afford to come south. I know in the EPL the cost of housing etc is probably not an issue. It works both ways. I would add though those that did make the decision to come down most have either remained living in the area or at least kept their property as an investment.

Indeed, and the primary reason why so many ex Albion players, once retired from the game, continue to live in this area, even if originally from other parts of the country.

It is a very pleasant place to live as well of course!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But Cariña, forget about Seville and Florence, haven't you heard you can walk the dog on the beautiful windswept beaches of Northumberland?

Gracias pero no gracias.

Mi perro no le gusta el frio y el viento

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My wife's from Bishop and her dad lived there for years before he had to move down south to be looked after.

I've travelled the country watching Brighton and I can't think of a town I'd like to live in less than Bishop. It's beyond parody. Maybe Crawley or Milton Keynes just because I don't do new towns but other than that, almost every place I've been to for football has been better and that includes Rotherham.

However, it's not indicative of the area as a whole for me. Darlington and Durham are great cities, Newcastle's nightlife and shopping are outstanding and Northumberland is beautiful.

But Bishop ****ing Auckland? Never again.

Ah yes - but if you're living in Weardale for a year without a car, and no-one talks to you because you have a 'southern accent', and you need to go shopping on your day off (Saturdays) with a pint at lunch - then Bishop Auckland is a damn sight better than Crook (the other place the bus went to...).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
no-one talks to you because you have a 'southern accent'

Depressing if true.

Famously, northerners are much friendlier than southerners (as I am always reminded by my northern inlaws, the grumpy ********...)

Last edited:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
This re-enforces my long held view that in this over liberal world, far too may imbeciles are given a platform to spew their moronic drivel.

Why would GP leave Brighton to go to Newcastle?

It's only a bigger club because they have more letters in their first name!

Muzza priceless expression!

LoL at Noocassell!

TNBA

TTF

Newcastle is significantly bigger when it comes to attendance

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Newcastle is significantly bigger when it comes to attendance

Explaining why Ashley is still the owner.

I know 2 things about the man.
He threw up into a fireplace and he loves money more than anything else.

Half a season of playing in a near empty stadium and he'd have left years ago.
Even if he didn't want to go, the EPL would have found a buyer and made it hard for him to refuse, if he was seriously damaging 'the global brand'.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Depressing if true.

Famously, northerners are much friendlier than southerners (as I am always reminded by my northern inlaws, the grumpy ********...)

I had quite a gloomy year in Frosterley, Weardale. I know there's a poster on here in Wolsingham - and hopefully they get on better with the locals.

But this was almost 30 years ago now, and nearly everyone in the village was from the Peart family - which sounds rather stereotypical, but was in fact the case. And we really weren't made to feel welcome. Partly because we were southerners / outsiders (and that was actually made quite clear to us), but also because we were volunteering for the year and therefore 'taking their jobs' (which they weren't doing anyway, and were only for volunteers!). Nor were we farmers. They didn't even warm to us when we drank Newcastle Brown straight out of the bottle!

I think things may have changed now, with more movement both in and out. I think they probably have, as this used to be a pub with strip lighting, uncomfortable chairs, and folk who didn't talk. http://www.blackbullfrosterley.com/

When I moved over the Pennines to the Eden Valley, I couldn't believe the difference. We were made to feel welcome and at home on the first evening we were there. And in Cumbria ever since.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I had quite a gloomy year in Frosterley, Weardale. I know there's a poster on here in Wolsingham - and hopefully they get on better with the locals.

But this was almost 30 years ago now, and nearly everyone in the village was from the Peart family - which sounds rather stereotypical, but was in fact the case. And we really weren't made to feel welcome. Partly because we were southerners / outsiders (and that was actually made quite clear to us), but also because we were volunteering for the year and therefore 'taking their jobs' (which they weren't doing anyway, and were only for volunteers!). Nor were we farmers. They didn't even warm to us when we drank Newcastle Brown straight out of the bottle!

I think things may have changed now, with more movement both in and out. I think they probably have, as this used to be a pub with strip lighting, uncomfortable chairs, and folk who didn't talk. http://www.blackbullfrosterley.com/

When I moved over the Pennines to the Eden Valley, I couldn't believe the difference. We were made to feel welcome and at home on the first evening we were there. And in Cumbria ever since.

:bigwave:

All good. Love it here and most people are very friendly. I wouldn't leave this part of the world now, it's beautiful. Not been to Frosterley much and avoid Crook and Bishop wherever possible though. Not been over your way yet, but plan to do that next year sometime.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

That sounds more like a rural/Frosterley specific problem than a north east problem. Although having said that people west of the pennines seem to tend closer towards the overtly friendly stereotype for some reason. Probably something to do with all the rain.

I've never had any problems with people in County Durham, even when I was up there doing bridge inspections and me and my colleague from Bulgaria actually were stealing some local's job.

I do think there's a difference in the typical or average sense of humour between north and south (probably less so now than in the past).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Interesting, thanks.

My inlaws are Nottingham-based, but have a family link to Northumberland going back generations, so we holiday around the Bamburgh/Alnwick/Seahouses area each year. Stunning scenery and beautiful beaches.

Generally found the locals decent, a couple of slightly snarky comments about me being a long way from home/wife being well out of my league but nothing too bad, just ribbing.

Although I really didn't help on my first visit there by ordering a shandy in my nicest Southern voice, in a proper workers/locals-only type pub (I was in there as it was the only place I could find showing Swindon 3 v 0 Brighton in the Capital One cup on telly, again a mistake).

The bloke just stared at me for about 10 seconds before finally making my drink. "We're not a cocktail bar fella." - he thought, very loudly.

Remember visiting Rothbury as well, hometown of Raoul Moat. Weird vibes.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Forgot to say that the Mother in Law goes to Frosterley on Thursday mornings for a coffee morning (not during lockdown obviously) and has always found them welcoming and friendly. She was in South Africa for 40 years prior to moving back here in 2019.

We don't do Pubs and maybe if we did we would have a slightly different view as they can be very territorial no matter where they are (I lived in Haywards Heath for years and wandered into The Heath once. That was a mistake!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports