Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A catering moan

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an added (first world) moan on the veggie pie...

My lad is vegetarian. He loves the veggie pie - and why not - looks quite tasty, with its butternut squash and vegetable filling. So, off I go, pre-match (NW). Do you have a 'veggie pie'? Chap checks, and produces a box with a big 'V' marked on it.

How's the pie, I ask?

Not great, but thanks anyway.

I have a look and see that he is nibbling not on his favoured pie, but on a Spinach and Ricotta one. He hates ricotta.

It's not a BIG moan - but is it too much to ask, to know what flavour of pie you're actually buying? Notwithstanding pie-roulette us carnivores don't just get a box with 'M' marked on it, with whatever random flavour they decide on that week.

I

Not wishing to pick any holes in your constructed argument, but you stay that you asked the chap, " ...have you a veggie pie..." He looked and saw a pie marked V for veggie and gave you said pie, as requested by you.

You then suggest that actually the veggie pie was not to your lads liking.

So actually, the guy behind the counter did EXACTLY what you asked for. How on gods green earth is he to know that your son doesn't like the ingredients of the pie on offer?

Can you possibly expand your argument to explain exactly what the issue is here and how this is the fault of the club.

Thankyou in anticipation

I don't really feel that any 'expansion' is necessary. I've already referred to it as a 'first world problem' and as 'not a big moan' - it is what it is. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has explained, they have a product called the 'Veggie Pie'. That's what I asked for, and what we were given had nothing in common with that, bar an absence of meat.

Its not a big deal, simply a further comment on the OPs veggie-pie-related theme.

Feel free to carry on being a dick though, but you'll need to look for someone else to argue with. I can't be bothered today.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I take full responsibility for the lack of Harveys. Expecting a big crowd I left home 15 mins earlier than normal and arrived 30 mins earlier than normal. No problem, time for an extra Harveys.
Credit to the caterers in East Upper because the queues from the past two years have vanished. Average wait time is down to 3 minutes. Without seeing the stand from afar I cant see if we are as full as normal but the crowds of old mingling around the concourse seems to be much smaller these days with people eating and drinking outside first. Would be interesting to know if takings on food & drink was up or down on the last few years.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Oh so you're one of the utter cocks that run out of the stadium, sad ****ers the lot of you, one bloke when flying when he tried to run through me on Saturday but looked quite pitiful looking up at me from the floor when he realised it was like trying to run through a wall.

Stand back everyone. We've got a right 'ARD NUT in this thread.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just to add some balance here, Saturday was my first experience of the Sticky BBQ Pork Pie. It was utterly delicious and my Harveys tasted better than ever.

Also, the pie contents were just as sticky when they were evacuating Dunkirk later on. A sure sign of quality.

....as I haven't had one for quite some time.

Immediately post-match in the WSL (North end): not a single veggie pie to be had, making me regret not getting on earlier on in the afternoon, and they ran out of Harveys.

(Yes, I know there are far more important things)

Are there more important issues, we have been encouraged to spend more to help balance the books,breaking even is the number issue i would say!:moo:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Solution to problem;
1) Eat meat
2) drink lager

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Did anyone else think the pies seemed lighter on Saturday. My steak pie didn't ooze with filling like previous ones.
What is the legal pie weight at a football match and are we seeing Piglets pies decreasing in size the same way as choccy bars are in the shops.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I quite like a thread moaning about pies - it's less depressing than the league position!

My complaint is that I was looking forward to the guest pie - but they'd run out at one of the main kiosks in the West Stand Upper at 2pm. So either there are some really, really greedy gits that arrive in the first half hour OR the caterers are as good at forward planning as our free-kick masterminds...

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
....as I haven't had one for quite some time.

Immediately post-match in the WSL (North end): not a single veggie pie to be had, making me regret not getting on earlier on in the afternoon, and they ran out of Harveys.

(Yes, I know there are far more important things)

Have a meat pie.They are much better!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
My complaint is that I was looking forward to the guest pie - but they'd run out at one of the main kiosks in the West Stand Upper at 2pm. So either there are some really, really greedy gits that arrive in the first half hour OR the caterers are as good at forward planning as our free-kick masterminds...

Well I heard that the caterers were planning on delivering the guest pie to the west upper, but after arguing about it for a while they kicked them all in to the North stand instead.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You would had to have left at least 5 mins before end of the final whistle to get from WSU to the station for that time. You even beat me as i caught the next train after that and i'm closer than you(north)
That makes you an early leaver

Err...no. I know exactly when I left thanks. It was moments before the final whistle, when Dunk had just been caught offside in their box. Still makes me an early leaver, but I certainly didn't miss 5 minutes worth.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I know the Catering Manager. Her daughter is at the same nursery in Horsham as my Son. Lovely Lady.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh so you're one of the utter cocks that run out of the stadium, sad ****ers the lot of you, one bloke when flying when he tried to run through me on Saturday but looked quite pitiful looking up at me from the floor when he realised it was like trying to run through a wall.

Wind your neck in bucko. If I want to jog to the station to try and avoid the cutoff so I can get the 5.23 along the coast from Brighton then I damn well will. I'm not running like a loon, I'm not involved in any collisions, and if my way is blocked then I'll slow down and walk. Doesn't affect anybody else in the slightest.

Christ, theres always some prick sticking their oar in dictating what everyone else should do in their little world.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I had an email exchange with Tony Crosbie today, he is the stadium director of catering for Sodexho.

He acknowledges, as I reported to him, that all 3 north bars were out of Harveys by 5.05pm, and so was WSL1 and WSU. He could not offer any outside force or event to explain this catastrophic breakdown of supply, he simply acknowledges that they did not get the product in the right place at the right time, even though they had planned for this the biggest crowd of the season, and catering sales in total were the highest this season. he knows he lost a lot of receipts, and will take steps to learn and improve supply and movement of product on matchdays. he did also go on to imply, and I paraphrase this bit, that we normally sell much more post match when we win, so it was almost as if his note was saying "thank goodness we lost ...."

Fair play to him, he's not hiding, he's acknowledging it, and learning.

Still, in my view, not good enough to preside over such a calamitous error of judgment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had an email exchange with Tony Crosbie today, he is the stadium director of catering for Sodexho.

He acknowledges, as I reported to him, that all 3 north bars were out of Harveys by 5.05pm, and so was WSL1 and WSU. He could not offer any outside force or event to explain this catastrophic breakdown of supply, he simply acknowledges that they did not get the product in the right place at the right time, even though they had planned for this the biggest crowd of the season, and catering sales in total were the highest this season. he knows he lost a lot of receipts, and will take steps to learn and improve supply and movement of product on matchdays. he did also go on to imply, and I paraphrase this bit, that we normally sell much more post match when we win, so it was almost as if his note was saying "thank goodness we lost ...."

Still, in my view, not good enough to preside over such a calamitous error of judgment.

Fair play to the bloke for replying to you. But its not good enough being wise after the event, he needs to be wise BEFORE the event. The North concourse was HEAVING after the game, and with not very much to sell. No Kronie for example. And why do thy just close down the pop-up serving stations when they're most needed? It's just institutionalised stupidity really. Us punters have plenty of places to spend our money on a Saturday night, why do the club make it so difficult for themselves to capture a slice of that spend?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You can. You just probably won't get it.

Very true! In these days of national coffee chains, I am surprised they don't franchise out a costa or Nero. There was a rumour that clubs in the PL were looking at a " try it and see" approach, but I suppose the club has a exclusivity contract with this mob!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't really feel that any 'expansion' is necessary. I've already referred to it as a 'first world problem' and as 'not a big moan' - it is what it is. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has explained, they have a product called the 'Veggie Pie'. That's what I asked for, and what we were given had nothing in common with that, bar an absence of meat.

Its not a big deal, simply a further comment on the OPs veggie-pie-related theme.

Feel free to carry on being a dick though, but you'll need to look for someone else to argue with. I can't be bothered today.

Not being a dick at all...no need to be personal is there? I didn't start my comment with some reference to you being a ginger tosser did I?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

They are learning VERY slowly. In recent weeks they have seemed to lurch from under-supply to wastage and back again...

I enjoyed a delicious Melton Mowbray pork pie with my second-half flask of coffee on Saturday. These were soaking up the 4 cans of Directors that I "prank" before the game.

Albion 0 Corner Shop 1 (another home defeat...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here