Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 Gay Footballers in Premiership

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Agree. What has a players sexuality got to do with football?

Nothing, but neither what TV shows a player likes, what music they're into, what they ordered at Nando's, and people log onto Twitter or buy the match programme to read this crap.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Nothing, but neither what TV shows a player likes, what music they're into, what they ordered at Nando's, and people log onto Twitter or buy the match programme to read this crap.

i couldn't give a toss what a player's sexuality was, but im sure gay players gives a toss that they cant be seen in public with their partners. Imagine not being able to go out, shopping, for dinner, whatever because you might be spotted by either a fan or some c*** from one of the red top rags.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
i couldn't give a toss what a player's sexuality was, but im sure gay players gives a toss that they cant be seen in public with their partners. Imagine not being able to go out, shopping, for dinner, whatever because you might be spotted by either a fan or some c*** from one of the red top rags.

Of course they can be seen in public with their partners. They just need to head out to ASDA with boyf in tow. They merely won't because they haven't the courage to. They want the world to understand that players can have all kinds of sexual orientation, but they won't do anything to make this happen. In fact, by giving in to fear, they are doing a disservice to the next generation of gay players.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This country is obsessed by wanting to out a gay footballer. Stephen Gateley had 24 hours to come out before a red top outed him.

Could a footballer go out for a cosy dinner with his boyfriend?

He could, but there would be a media storm. He would then be plagued by the media left, right and centre.

I'd probably opt for the quiet life and keep it a secret. I'm sure it's not as simple as coming out to friends and teammates. I think the initial hard part would be usurped by being gay and in a sport with the propensity for people to act vile.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Quite frankly, the footballers that are gay are wimps. Pretty much all of them lack the balls to say openly that they happen to be gay and then they wonder why they operate in a sport where no other professionals are publicly known to be gay. The very few that come out are such pussies that think that they have to quit the sport if they decide to come out. All of them think we genuinely care as much as they do about who they want to shag.

Worst of all, they are telling a big fat lie by adding to the growing impression that the majority of football supporters are highly homophobic, which simply isn't true. All I can say is, don't lay the blame at us. If gay footballers want to come out, the action lies with them, not us. They need to take action as a step to creating widespread understanding and acceptance that footballers can be gay, bi or straight. No one achieves anything by waiting for the stars to align before they take action.

Yes.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
My friend "claims" she is not gay but that can't be right because she also told me once that she was a Vag-itarian

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This country is obsessed by wanting to out a gay footballer. Stephen Gateley had 24 hours to come out before a red top outed him.

He could, but there would be a media storm. He would then be plagued by the media left, right and centre.

I'd probably opt for the quiet life and keep it a secret. I'm sure it's not as simple as coming out to friends and teammates. I think the initial hard part would be usurped by being gay and in a sport with the propensity for people to act vile.

There must be some respect in football if gay players have come out to their team mates and not one of them has gone to the press.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I don't understand why we, the footballing public, need to know anyway? The 8 players are obviously comfortable with their clubs and team mates knowing, those others that matter in their lives must know as well, so why do we need to know? I am sure that there have been loads of gay footballers in the past that played without it being an issue, so why is it a big deal now?
Justin Fashanu was known to a few as being gay...but most of the few people did'nt bother about abuse...most remember him for that cracking goal he scored for Norwich...and the couple for us...sexualility only becomes a problem with the under aged.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Why is it so preposterous that someone might not want to share his private life with the general public?

Completely agree with you. Its no ones business. Its going to be such a big deal now as people keep going on about no one having come out, that they possibly don't want all of the publicity that will come with it.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Do I give a toss about what a footballer does off the pitch? No, as long as it doesn't affect me. I also don't give a rats about their favourite colour, what car they drive or their favourite holiday destination. As long as they conduct themselves in a way becoming a professional role model I take no issue. Have I been known to make snide comments about my wifes gay work colleagues? yes I have. I was brought up in an earlier era, where blokes did blokey stuff, it's very difficult for my generation to acknowledge the present day 'openness'. I don't regard myself as a homophobe, I'm not scared of them, I'm just not comfortable with it in public, a bit like breast feeding in public

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

But those revelations are what the player CHOOSES to reveal about himself. I'm sure there are straight players who have other sexual pecadilloes, such as enjoying Dirty Sanchez, Watersports, Bagpipes or even Belgian Biscuits, but they don't go talking about them on Twitter or to the ragtops.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But those revelations are what the player CHOOSES to reveal about himself. I'm sure there are straight players who have other sexual pecadilloes, such as enjoying Dirty Sanchez, Watersports, Bagpipes or even Belgian Biscuits, but they don't go talking about them on Twitter or to the ragtops.

Yes, of course. But that distinction between what a player chooses to reveal or not, while true, has no relevance to the specific discussion that is being had about the extent to which a lot of people are interested in aspects of a professional footballer that are unrelated to the playing side, which contrasts with Zesh Rehman's indifference to any of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There's the possibility the Naylor equivalent elsewhere, already knows, or at least knows enough not to be surprised.
The problem for the 8, taking the story at face value, is that media storm with less scrupulous jornos, desperate for a front page.

The guys in question clearly don't want to be in the eye of that storm, or else it would have happened already, but we all know it's coming.
Do they hope it misses them, or try to control their story on their terms.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's not a genie you can put back in the bottle.

But given the society that football operates in, where fans that go to games are drawn from a country where many people work with, or have friends and family that are openly gay, and where gay marriage is legalised, I contend that there is a high likelihood that the issue will lose its charge very quickly.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
But given the society that football operates in, where fans that go to games are drawn from a country where many people work with, or have friends and family that are openly gay, and where gay marriage is legalised, I contend that there is a high likelihood that the issue will lose its charge very quickly.

Yer right! :nono:

We don't all live in Brighton you know! Thankfully there are some parts of our country that retain traditional values.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here