8 Gay Footballers in Premiership

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As long as there are people in football management positions who can boast that "i'll have nae poofters in my team", there are reasons for players to be wary of coming out.

My Grandma was never a professional football manager as far as I am aware.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It would be an issue for the young gay man [who's not "out"] supporting that club who feels he has no positive role models in his world showing him its okay to admit publically you're gay.
Like it or not, footballers are heroes to many young boys and girls and a positive gay role model can only be a good thing.

I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea of footballers as 'role models' (for anything other than playing football) but, yes, I can see how an openly gay footballer could be a inspiring figure for young gay people who are yet to come out.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea of footballers as 'role models'

I liked what Oliver Holt said last week on Sunday Supplement "I'm fed up with everyone expecting footballers to bring up our kids"

Not sure I entirely agree, but was quite funny.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't regard myself as a homophobe, I'm not scared of them, I'm just not comfortable with it in public

Are straight people expected not to show any affection to their partners in public? No, of course not, then why should gays or bi's have to hide it?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
By all accounts that is what they have said to their team mates, so they have come out.

Revealing their sexuality to the fanbase is a separate issue, and frankly none of our business.

I don't feel the need to discuss my sexuality with my students, why should players discuss it with fans, it's private.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports