Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 Gay Footballers in Premiership

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5683792 said:
That'll teach me to form an opinion without actually reading the article! It's a great first step coming out to your team mates. Must have been difficult.

Not that difficult. They simply have to open their mouths and say: 'By the way, I'm gay.' Or even, 'I'm gay' if five words is too difficult.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Quite frankly, the footballers that are gay are wimps. Pretty much all of them lack the balls to say openly that they happen to be gay and then they wonder why they operate in a sport where no other professionals are publicly known to be gay. The very few that come out are such pussies that think that they have to quit the sport if they decide to come out.
:eek: I disagree.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not that difficult. They simply have to open their mouths and say: 'By the way, I'm gay.' Or even, 'I'm gay' if five words is too difficult.
Plus you'd have to be a seriously self-centred dressing room, not to notice.
Even for a football team, that's pretty unlikely, esp with the extra curriculum activities.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Quite frankly, the footballers that are gay are wimps. Pretty much all of them lack the balls to say openly that they happen to be gay and then they wonder why they operate in a sport where no other professionals are publicly known to be gay. The very few that come out are such pussies that think that they have to quit the sport if they decide to come out. All of them think we genuinely care as much as they do about who they want to shag.

Worst of all, they are telling a big fat lie by adding to the growing impression that the majority of football supporters are highly homophobic, which simply isn't true. All I can say is, don't lay the blame at us. If gay footballers want to come out, the action lies with them, not us. They need to take action as a step to creating widespread understanding and acceptance that footballers can be gay, bi or straight. No one achieves anything by waiting for the stars to align before they take action.

What a pathetic attitude.

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I still find it hard to believe that being gay is an issue. My personal opinion is that if someone's gay, it's their choice, to each their own and all that.

I hope these 8 players come out but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry is what they're thinking, in football there will always be a small group of absolute wa*kers who think it's a problem. The majority of football fans really just couldn't give a shite if a player is gay or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I wish I lived in the same world as you. Life would really be so much easier.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't understand why we, the footballing public, need to know anyway? The 8 players are obviously comfortable with their clubs and team mates knowing, those others that matter in their lives must know as well, so why do we need to know? I am sure that there have been loads of gay footballers in the past that played without it being an issue, so why is it a big deal now?

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
I don't understand why we, the footballing public, need to know anyway? The 8 players are obviously comfortable with their clubs and team mates knowing, those others that matter in their lives must know as well, so why do we need to know? I am sure that there have been loads of gay footballers in the past that played without it being an issue, so why is it a big deal now?

It would just be a bit of a step that's all, those players coming out to the public. But I suppose them coming out to their clubs is a step in it's self.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5683827 said:
:facepalm: Do you seriously think that coming out, for anyone, let alone a professional footballer, is as easy as saying five words?

For some people it is. I've got several friends who are gay and for them it was an unremarkable act in their teens for them to acknowledge that they are gay. For other people I know, considerations about 'what other people will think of me' will get into their heads and they will suppress saying how things are for them. Some had relationships with people of the other sex (and even get married!) to disguise the fact to themselves and others that they're gay.

That all said, the act itself of saying 'I'm gay' is easy enough. People should stop trying to make it sound like it's inevitably difficult. For as long as people paint that picture, of course it means less people will come out when they are gay. Saying all this, the people for whom it takes courage that they don't have much of, and who find that courage, deserve to be commended.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Why's that?

I'm sure coming out to the fans is nothing like as easy as you make it out to be. It's sad that the players can't come out to the fans in fear of what some might do, but it's good that some have apparently come out to their team mates.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm sure coming out to the fans is nothing like as easy as you make it out to be. It's sad that the players can't come out to the fans in fear of what some might do, but it's good that some have apparently come out to their team mates.

It's certainly a positive step to come out to team mates, although as a post earlier in this thread has alluded, in a well-knit team it is unlikely to be that much of a shock. As far as coming out to fans, all it would take is the same words.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It would just be a bit of a step that's all, those players coming out to the public. But I suppose them coming out to their clubs is a step in it's self.

Indeed. If clubs themselves were being actively homophobic, thus preventing gay people from playing, then it is a huge issue, but there is no evidence of this that I have seen.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Indeed. If clubs themselves were being actively homophobic, thus preventing gay people from playing, then it is a huge issue, but there is no evidence of this that I have seen.

This. We have no evidence of English clubs preventing players from playing if they're gay, no evidence of players not being able to find a club to play for because they're gay, no evidence of supporters turning against their own players for being gay. And yet this mythical homophobic world within football is written about as if it's the certain reality if a player comes out. From reading the views of many football fans, not just Albion supporters, I've not read one that suggests their fanbase will turn against their own player for being openly gay. Just like on this thread, most views are along the lines of 'well, good for him' and 'who cares as long as he can play'. People, including footballers, need to give football supporters a bit more credit for being fair-minded around the issue than they're doing so currently.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I genuinely believe that the crowds would be far less of an issue than some people expect. Pretty much everyone on here must have friends or family or work colleagues who are gay, and I doubt very much that they go round singing abusive songs towards them.

I suspect that 98% of people would be perfectly respectable, and while the odd pissed idiot might think himself witty to yell something, I do believe he'd soon be told to pipe down by those around him (or slung out). It's just basic human decency, and most people do actually possess that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I genuinely believe that the crowds would be far less of an issue than some people expect. Pretty much everyone on here must have friends or family or work colleagues who are gay, and I doubt very much that they go round singing abusive songs towards them.

I suspect that 98% of people would be perfectly respectable, and while the odd pissed idiot might think himself witty to yell something, I do believe he'd soon be told to pipe down by those around him (or slung out). It's just basic human decency, and most people do actually possess that.

I completely agree. Gay footballers coming out would be very much pushing at open doors. They don't realise it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

But then no one sings "what a waste of money" to me at work. They would if I was on a pitch.

At most clubs this might be the case but at places like West Ham and Millwall it will be 90 minutes of abuse. Let's not forget West Ham have sung songs about brain tumours before. If they can stoop that low, some "gay banter" is nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here