Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

72 hour Tube strike starting Sunday 6th April 18.30

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm only speaking from personal experience. It was quicker for me to walk from my office in Holborn back to London Bridge than it was to get the bus walking pretty much the exact route of the bus.

True but that's based on one experience, I have worked with many people who would agree with you but when you have to go all over London and beyond it's a very different matter. Also, I presume you're talking about Rush Hour. Try getting home ad 11 o clock at night (or later).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I live and work in London and use pay as you go. Yes it is easy to use, particularly as I load it up on my card. But the group of people who use cash payments the most are people on low incomes. I don't know all the reasons why, but I presume it is partly because they do most of their transactions on a cash basis. Yes you can load up your card with cash and yes it is easy (although offices are not always open so putting £4 in a machine is maybe seen as being more simple), but they are the group that uses them the least. Another problem is that for the majority of people in South London they are outside of Oyster zones and PAYG doesn't even work on most overland trains even within the metropolitan area (try it - you'll get fined).

Can't agree, most people have an Oyster these days. It's the same process of going to buy a ticket.

You don't need to go the ticket office, it's all done on the same ticket machine now. All the stations now have charging units built onto the ticket machines.

Why put £4 in a machine when you can put £1.50 in and charge up your card for the journey ?

Your argument simply doesn't stack up.

The Oyster cards will soon be available on those trains and they are already taken on the South London Tram network.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
Can't agree, most people have an Oyster these days. It's the same process of going to buy a ticket.

You don't need to go the ticket office, it's all done on the same ticket machine now. All the stations now have charging units built onto the ticket machines.

Why put £4 in a machine when you can put £1.50 in and charge up your card for the journey ?

Your argument simply doesn't stack up.

The Oyster cards will soon be available on those trains and they are already taken on the South London Tram network.

"Soon" is not much help to people right now, particularly as Ken has been promising Oyster on all London rail for several years now (although in fairness to him it's Southern etc who have caused delays).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Bollocks. Since rail privatisation, the unions have become just about the major defenders of safety standards in the face of the rail companies' cost-cutting spivs primarily interested in generating profits for their share-holders:

"Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT, said: "Tube workers will not stand idly by while the security of the network is compromised by managers who clearly believe that staff and passenger safety can be looked after on the cheap."

:clap:

Dont be totaly fooled by bob crow, Allthough the union do some good work on the safety front he's still a bit of a pillock who's out to make a name for himself.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Bollocks. Since rail privatisation, the unions have become just about the major defenders of safety standards in the face of the rail companies' cost-cutting spivs primarily interested in generating profits for their share-holders:

"Bob Crow, general secretary of the RMT, said: "Tube workers will not stand idly by while the security of the network is compromised by managers who clearly believe that staff and passenger safety can be looked after on the cheap."

:clap:

Rubbish
Bob Crow has one thing on his mind and one thing only and that's the self promotion of Bob Crow. He cares nowt for his members - it's just a way of him going up against authority and he's an old fashioned Marxist bully boy pretending to be concerned for his "members" and I really cannot believe that anyone with half a grain of common sense has been taken in by him.
It's completely f*cked up the Black Crowes gig at the Academy for me so I just hope that the unions see sense and call it off before it cocks everything up.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Rubbish
Bob Crow has one thing on his mind and one thing only and that's the self promotion of Bob Crow. He cares nowt for his members - it's just a way of him going up against authority and he's an old fashioned Marxist bully boy pretending to be concerned for his "members" and I really cannot believe that anyone with half a grain of common sense has been taken in by him.
It's completely f*cked up the Black Crowes gig at the Academy for me so I just hope that the unions see sense and call it off before it cocks everything up.

What Academy?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
TUBE STRIKE CALLED OFF - source BBC Radio London

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Brixton Academy
And before anyone says it no I am not wandering around Brixton/Stockwell at half past whatever at night trying to find a bus back to Central London thank you very much

It isn't THAT bad on the main street/areas. There are many places worse to be than round there..

I was going to say, if you were wanting to get back to Brighton, there was a bus that went from round near the Ritzy right to Clapham Junction, from which you could get a train back to Brighton till gone 1ish.

But it is all academic now, seeing as it has been called off.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I was going to say, if you were wanting to get back to Brighton, there was a bus that went from round near the Ritzy right to Clapham Junction, from which you could get a train back to Brighton till gone 1ish.

That would be the no.35, bigc. This information comes to you at no charge.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
That would be the no.35, bigc. This information comes to you at no charge.

Ahhh I thought it was the 2, but that must be one of the ones that went into central London.

I remember being very pleased I successfully overcame the last tube strike. Actually, getting the bus to Clapham Junction and getting the train there felt quicker than tubing it to Victoria and then getting on the train there.

:thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It isn't THAT bad on the main street/areas. There are many places worse to be than round there..

But it is all academic now, seeing as it has been called off.

I was going to say exactly the same thing.... except it's easier than that. The 345 outside the Academy (in front of Nandos) goes all the way to Clapham Junction too.

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I was going to say exactly the same thing.... except it's easier than that. The 345 outside the Academy (in front of Nandos) goes all the way to Clapham Junction too.

If blue 'n' whites gig finishes at past 10(which I highly assume it will) and it isn't at the weekend, he can't get the tube anyway because of the Victoria Line early closing.

Our advice may yet be handy:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here