Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh god, looks like FCC then - bastards

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Cheaper than BH Buses, now they ARE steep..
B&H buses are aiming to bring in the oyster card system so the cashless fares will be cheaper (unless they print another timetable guide).:lol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London is one of the worst Cities in the World for public transport ? What a load of crap, based on what is that ? Have you ever been to any other city ? For all it's faults the Transport System in London is as good as you'll get anywhere and better than most.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Try living in a town where the buses run reasonably well during the day but in the evening the buses are every half an hour and on sundays every half an hour during the day and on a sunday evening one every hour and 20 minutes.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
London is one of the worst Cities in the World for public transport ? What a load of crap, based on what is that ? Have you ever been to any other city ? For all it's faults the Transport System in London is as good as you'll get anywhere and better than most.

Oh come off it. The transport system in this country is pretty crap full stop. London isn't as bad as the fella makes out but it certainly not great!

I pity anyone that has to get a bus in the capital, actually I pity anyone that has to get a bus anywhere!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Oh come off it. The transport system in this country is pretty crap full stop. London isn't as bad as the fella makes out but it certainly not great!

I pity anyone that has to get a bus in the capital, actually I pity anyone that has to get a bus anywhere!

There are LOADS of them though...for frequency they can't be beat...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On 7/7 I was checking up that the people I know in London were all ok. Don't f*** around with shit like that you mother f***ing ****.

Yes it is only £3 for an Oyster Card but the fact is that low income people in London tend not to set up e.g. direct debits or buy season tickets and do pretty much everything by cash, as and when they get paid. Get out of your office and stop licking Ken's arse.

You completely misunderstand Oyster cards then.

They are pre-pay, you don't need to get one with a season ticket and you buy it with cash over the counter or from a machine.

If you don't want to buy a monthly or a weekly you don't even have to give your name or address. It's just a piece of plastic.

It actual fact it's rather like the way people on low incomes can pre-buy fuel on a pay as you go basis.

Except although that penalises the low paid in doing so, the Oyster is FAR cheaper than buying with cash there and then.

I can't believe any low paid people in London would be without one, in actual fact it would their preferred way of doing so.

Why on earth would someone on low pay decide to pay more for tickets when there is a cheaper alternative sitting right there. The £3 price of the card, is actually £3 pounds of travel.

That's 2 single journeys. Are the low paid so stupid, as to say to the man behind the desk - no actually I've have a paper ticket for £4

(which will give me one journey)

I've never heard such nonsense.

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I clicked "page 2" with the intention of writing pretty much the exact rant clapham_gull just has.

I won't bother repeating any of, but just to say: Spot On.

Edit: I'll be damn fecked off if it stops me getting to Southend though...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well, let me know any city that has better public transport. The vast majority of US Cities have far worse and even those that have semi decent transport it only extends to their city limits.

I know that TFL has it's shortcomings but it's only when you have lived and worked somewhere else you start to realise that it's actually pretty good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

That's also highly inaccurate - there are LOADS of them (sometimes very empty..)

I don't know if you're talking about a few years ago, but if you have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus in London now you are very very unlucky.

.. and they are very very cheap, again if you pick up a free Oyster card.

It's been the most noticeable change in London over the last few years.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
While London transport falls some way behind other major European cities I've always found it to be pretty reliable. The major problems usually happen with the rail services coming in and out of London. When they f*** up, delay, cancel it can cause chaos.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
You completely misunderstand Oyster cards then.

They are pre-pay, you don't need to get one with a season ticket and you buy it with cash over the counter or from a machine.

If you don't want to buy a monthly or a weekly you don't even have to give your name or address. It's just a piece of plastic.

It actual fact it's rather like the way people on low incomes can pre-buy fuel on a pay as you go basis.

Except although that penalises the low paid in doing so, the Oyster is FAR cheaper than buying with cash there and then.

I can't believe any low paid people in London would be without one, in actual fact it would their preferred way of doing so.

Why on earth would someone on low pay decide to pay more for tickets when there is a cheaper alternative sitting right there. The £3 price of the card, is actually £3 pounds of travel.

That's 2 single journeys. Are the low paid so stupid, as to say to the man behind the desk - no actually I've have a paper ticket for £4

(which will give me one journey)

I've never heard such nonsense.

I live and work in London and use pay as you go. Yes it is easy to use, particularly as I load it up on my card. But the group of people who use cash payments the most are people on low incomes. I don't know all the reasons why, but I presume it is partly because they do most of their transactions on a cash basis. Yes you can load up your card with cash and yes it is easy (although offices are not always open so putting £4 in a machine is maybe seen as being more simple), but they are the group that uses them the least. Another problem is that for the majority of people in South London they are outside of Oyster zones and PAYG doesn't even work on most overland trains even within the metropolitan area (try it - you'll get fined).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Off the top of my head I can think of Dublin, Berlin and Zurich

Well I've worked in both Dublin and Berlin and I can safely say that Dublin is dreadful, the traffic congestuion there is appalling and what's more, what a great Tram System they have. It would be even better if the tram systems were anywhere near each other let alone connected. Berlin I don't see how you can say that so good, never struck me as much good. Zurich is because it's in Switzerland and they hate cars.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's also highly inaccurate - there are LOADS of them (sometimes very empty..)

I don't know if you're talking about a few years ago, but if you have to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus in London now you are very very unlucky.

.. and they are very very cheap, again if you pick up a free Oyster card.

It's been the most noticeable change in London over the last few years.

I'm only speaking from personal experience. It was quicker for me to walk from my office in Holborn back to London Bridge than it was to get the bus walking pretty much the exact route of the bus.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
And Athens. Trams, tubes and buses all day for £2.

Madrid, Rome (about one euro for a cash single journey) are cheaper but I've only been as a tourist.

I've lived and worked in NY, HK and Beijing. HK and Beijing have much better public transport (cleaner, cheaper, air conditioned, more efficient, run later, etc etc) but NY is rubbish. and NY taxis are disgusting too. HK is the best city for getting around that I've spent any significant time in, and the population is more concentrated than London.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And Athens. Trams, tubes and buses all day for £2.

I've been to Athens and I'll give you that one. Also allot safer than the f***ing taxi drivers out there!

Missed off Amsterdam from my list. Tram system is brilliant (if not a little dangerous).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here