Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6k away tickets at MK Dons £12 adults £1 U18s

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It would be possible to work this out reasonably accurately by trawling through fixture lists, crowd figures, programmes and newspaper accounts etc ...

My guess is that we took more than 6K away to a handful of league matches during our glory years and not since 1979.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It would be possible to work this out reasonably accurately by trawling through fixture lists, crowd figures, programmes and newspaper accounts etc ...

My guess is that we took more than 6K away to a handful of league matches during our glory years and not since 1979.

But away fans really didn't travel in large numbers back then. How many did we take to Palace in 2002 and 2005? I'm guessing it was around 4k.

As previous posters have said, I think we had 6k in our last visits to Anfield and Villa Park - not league matches, though, obviously.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
But away fans really didn't travel in large numbers back then. How many did we take to Palace in 2002 and 2005? I'm guessing it was around 4k.
Palace in 2002 was big but 5K+ not 6K+.

There must be plenty of people on here who can have a good guess at the numbers from the 1970s. Anyone?

Tottenham mentioned above is one famous one where we took loads in a massive overall crowd. Newcastle no-one is sure about the actual figure but more than 6K seems widely accepted. And then there are the string of league games v. Palace - how many did we take there in the 70s? Numbers will always be exaggerated but the biggest must have pushed 6K+...?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

That would be my guess too. But I don't think away crowds were counted separately then, almost every game was POTD and many unsegregated. Of the league games I went to, the huge away crowds from memory and guesstimates were:
- Newcastle 79 9-10k (28k total verified crowd) - Tim Carder's book says "nearly 10,000 Albion"
- Palace 77 8k (29k)
- Luton 79 6k (13k)
- Spurs 77 6k (49k)
- West Ham 79 5k (36k)
- Orient 79 5k (12k)

I imagine we had a huge crowd at Palace 78 but I didn't make that game.

Anyone else got (League) estimates to add?

PG

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Palace in 2002 was big but 5K+ not 6K+.

There must be plenty of people on here who can have a good guess at the numbers from the 1970s. Anyone?

Tottenham mentioned above is one famous one where we took loads in a massive overall crowd. Newcastle no-one is sure about the actual figure but more than 6K seems widely accepted. And then there are the string of league games v. Palace - how many did we take there in the 70s? Numbers will always be exaggerated but the biggest must have pushed 6K+...?

Difficult to say. There were games at Selhurst with 29k crowds but who knows the Brighton proportion? I'm not sure about 6k at Newcastle. Did we just have the terrace behind the goal? It doesn't look that big. The Spurs game in 1978 was 48,000 - wouldn't be surprised if we took more than 6k to that. The answer is probably no-one knows. Or if anyone does, his name is Tim Carder.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Difficult to say. There were games at Selhurst with 29k crowds but who knows the Brighton proportion? I'm not sure about 6k at Newcastle. Did we just have the terrace behind the goal? It doesn't look that big. The Spurs game in 1978 was 48,000 - wouldn't be surprised if we took more than 6k to that. The answer is probably no-one knows. Or if anyone does, his name is Tim Carder.

At Newcastle it was rammed in the terrace behind the goal and we had about a third of the main stand in seats too.

PG

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
At Newcastle it was rammed in the terrace behind the goal and we had about a third of the main stand in seats too.

PG

In which case it must have been over 6k. On the footage you only ever see the terrace behind the goal - and looking at the video again that must have held about 4-5k plus I guess...? I reckon the Argus reports from the time would tell us how many travelled.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In which case it must have been over 6k. On the footage you only ever see the terrace behind the goal - and looking at the video again that must have held about 4k plus I guess...?

Like I say above, Tim Carder puts it at almost 10k. He is a proper statto on these things and will have a source. Vinicombe says "more than 5k" in his Up, Up and Away" book but he was a grumpy so and so and always underestimated the away crowd.

PG

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Like I say above, Tim Carder puts it at almost 10k. He is a proper statto on these things and will have a source. Vinicombe says "more than 5k" in his Up, Up and Away" book but he was a grumpy so and so and always underestimated the away crowd.

PG

Didn't see your comment. Indeed, from 'Seagulls':

"The team travelled to Tynesiide and were joined by nearly 10,000 fans travelling by car, coach, train and plane on the Saturday to transform the Leazes End into a sea of blue and white".

Makes me even more gutted that I didn't go!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Didn't see your comment. Indeed, from 'Seagulls':

"The team travelled to Tynesiide and were joined by nearly 10,000 fans travelling by car, coach, train and plane on the Saturday to transform the Leazes End into a sea of blue and white".

Makes me even more gutted that I didn't go!

After the teams had left the pitch and most of the Newcastle fans had gone, we all went on the pitch and into the main stand terraces. I remember standing on a huge concrete crash barrier as the Brighton players came out into the Directors' Box to salute us. That is some footage I would love to see but I've never seen a film of it.

PG

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So, while £13.50/£13 is still good, why do booking agencies make this rip off excess charge? Why is it a £1.50 for telephone and in person and why is it £1 online? Do retailers do this? Nope. Unless they are sending out the tickets (I have no idea what the price of a stamp is) then surely if purchasers can print it off then there should be no charge. And why are you charged £1.50 just for the pleasure of making your way to the ticket office to pay and pick it up? Rip off excess charges. Small as the charges are they niggle me and they should not be advertised at £12.

But we screw fans with booking fees as well.

One phone call to buy four tickets. One transaction. All paid on same card. FOUR booking fees.

Barber's answer was they have to cover the costs of staff manning the 'phones. Seemed not to grasp that the cost in processing the application was the same whether they hit "1" or "4"!!! The club has to pay the staff on the telephones the same whether they get 1 call or 100. Just another opportunity to squeeze the pips.

TBH, £1 booking fee isn't such a big deal if ticket price is only £12. Much more of an impact when we are charging over 30 quid!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
After the teams had left the pitch and most of the Newcastle fans had gone, we all went on the pitch and into the main stand terraces. I remember standing on a huge concrete crash barrier as the Brighton players came out into the Directors' Box to salute us. That is some footage I would love to see but I've never seen a film of it.

PG

There's a fan featured on the 'Wardy' documentary, Danny Hornby, who used to take his cine camera to games around that time. Don't know if anyone on here knows him, but I wonder if he has any footage. Would love to see some of the stuff he filmed.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Official tweet from BHA:

There will be more than 6K #BHAFC fans at MK Dons away. Great following, but still a few hundred tickets left for the game. #MKDvBHA

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Official tweet from BHA:

There will be more than 6K #BHAFC fans at MK Dons away. Great following, but still a few hundred tickets left for the game. #MKDvBHA

Over a week for people to decide to go to this one so could they sell over 7k ?? (if they become available of course!)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
But we screw fans with booking fees as well.

One phone call to buy four tickets. One transaction. All paid on same card. FOUR booking fees.

Barber's answer was they have to cover the costs of staff manning the 'phones. Seemed not to grasp that the cost in processing the application was the same whether they hit "1" or "4"!!! The club has to pay the staff on the telephones the same whether they get 1 call or 100. Just another opportunity to squeeze the pips.

TBH, £1 booking fee isn't such a big deal if ticket price is only £12. Much more of an impact when we are charging over 30 quid!

So on top of staff wages what about credit card fees, software charges, telephone charges, etc etc etc - it is an away game so none of the cash comes to BHAFC so every ticket is sold at a loss. We should be thankful the club dont sub contract to ticketmaster.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Official tweet from BHA:

A complete enigma so many fans turing out for this one after two 0-0 results. Sometimes the numbers just fall into place I guess. Who knows, we might even sell a further (cumber)batch of tickets before the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here