Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 50% risk of breaching a key 1.5C temperature rise threshold in 9 years

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Meteorological summer still here i Lund. By definitions here, it doesn't end until the average temperature in the 24 hour cycle (why the f*** don't you have a word for that by the way?) is below 10 degrees for five straights days. This is the first time this happens since they started measuring it 160 years ago.

The human species will survive.... in the not too distant future, it will just be far less of us than today.
How about the: "the average temperature in the 24 hour cycle (why the f*** don't you have a word for that by the way?) is below 10 degrees for five straights days...day".
Is that catchy enough?😉

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yeah but "day" also refers to "day" as in the opposite of "night".

Was surprised to hear that not even the Germans, who normally has a word for everything, doesn't have a word equivalent of the Swedish "dygn".

Someone needs to solve it.
"Full day" works if you want clarity. also 24 hours, calendar day, whole day, entire day, also work if Day is too vague.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I guess that's what things like COP27 are supposed to be there for tho eh? A bit of naming and shaming and coercing into marginally improving :shrug:

They are a waste of time, this one has ended us paying billons we cant afford, whilst offending countries continue unbothered

I am not sure China/India/USA are bothered by words.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Well they are getting what they wanted and our direction of travel is good, I am not sure other nations will care our roads are being blocked.
What I meant is that people in the other countries (more polluting than ours) may decide that such activities provide publicity that keeps climate warming issues firmly near the front of media stories.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And customers keep supporting the commercial airline industry, taking both domestic, short and long haul flights.
Maldives are quite concerned about temperature rises and the consequences for sea levels. Maldives have opened new international airport this year. :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They should try it in a country that is a bigger issue than the UK, currently we are cutting outputs faster than any G20 country.
No country is doing enough, we're still essentially wedded to fossil fuels and time is almost up.

This year we're almost 2c above where we were in the 1960-90 period, other areas of Europe not moderated by the sea are hotter still

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not sure about all this global warming kerfuddle……. You can prove anything with facts.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
According to a professor on Laura K's show at the weekend, it would cost 4p per KwH to capture all of the carbon produced by the fossil fuel electricity generators at source. Why is that not being progressed at pace? Or is it and we are not hearing about it?
That sounds like f*** all, but would double the average wholesale price. I think the efforts are going into storage of renewable generated power. Carbon capture is one thing, storage is another, and most carbon capture is sold and used in industry, ending up in the atmosphere anyway. We just need to stop adding back in to the cycle carbon that has been kept out of it for millions of years, and then try and get some of what we have pumped out back into solid form.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
They are a waste of time, this one has ended us paying billons we cant afford, whilst offending countries continue unbothered

I am not sure China/India/USA are bothered by words.
They will get bothered if EU increases tariffs or reduces quotas on produce from countries not making certain carbon per capita targets.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And customers keep supporting the commercial airline industry, taking both domestic, short and long haul flights.
And world leaders and all their hangers on jetting all over the shop. Private jets to COP then onwards to the G20. FFS make these gigs like HM's funeral and everybody shares a coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here