Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
see above , unless you meant something else by support has fallen off ? as you can see from my post it hasn't

When they quote true attendances and not those that have season tickets I'll be more inclined to agree with you. However it's just a small point on an otherwise boring thread.

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
And it has, and this year they even quote attendances when people aren't actually there.

lots of clubs include st holders even if they dont attend i think we may well do
perhaps you do as well
your ground always seems to have empty seats when i hear people saying it is a sell out

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
lots of clubs include st holders even if they dont attend i think we may well do
perhaps you do as well
your ground always seems to have empty seats when i hear people saying it is a sell out

Never had a sell out at the Amex fella, we could but it never happens due to concessions, away support, etc... think our highest crowd is somewhere around 22,100... but we definitely don't include the non turn up people in the attendance.

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
When they quote true attendances and not those that have season tickets I'll be more inclined to agree with you. However it's just a small point on an otherwise boring thread.

i agree its getting boring one of many from brighton about attendances , i guess people have been so desperate to gloat after 24 yrs of lower crowds than us

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
perhaps you do as well

It is a sell out, but they do not not include STH who are no shows, which is inconsistent with many other teams (including Palace). Therefore the match yesterday had a stated attendance of 20,223, which is 2,154 below capacity, although it was officially a sell out.

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
Never had a sell out at the Amex fella, we could but it never happens due to concessions, away support, etc... think our highest crowd is somewhere around 22,100... but we definitely don't include the non turn up people in the attendance.

so didn't you sell out against us ? i thought i had seen posts on here several times about sell outs perhaps they were wrong

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
It is a sell out, but they do not not include STH who are no shows, which is inconsistent with many other teams (including Palace). Therefore the match yesterday had a stated attendance of 20,223, which is 2,154 below capacity, although it was officially a sell out.

so how many of the 2154 were away fans and how many st's

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
so didn't you sell out against us ? i thought i had seen posts on here several times about sell outs perhaps they were wrong

We sell out as EP has already explained, but we don't include those that don't turn up ... I worded it badly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
These attendance threads are getting very tedious now. Apart from anything else it allows Palace fans to come on here and comment about our Withdean years where they seem oblivious to the fact we had nothing like the same capacity as we have now. They also ignore the fact that we had few sell outs there due to the understandable reluctance of may away fans to pay through the nose to watch a game in what was probably the worst ground in the league. What is farcical is the fact that despite their crowds falling their chairman is talking about building a stadium that 25% larger than the planned expansion of Falmer.

Truth is they hate the fact that after many years of lording it over us (albeit at the expense of HRMC and others) they now know that we are a bigger team with aspirations that we can actually hope to achieve and that we can do so without defrauding innocent individuals. Just accept this and move on. Of course let's revisit this situation in three years time to see whether we are in the Premier and whether Palace are playing Crawley Town twice a season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
wow thats a hell of a lot
i know every will have st not turning up but that seems very high

I agree these threads are tedious in the extreme, but to contextualise the issue, Palace gave out an attendance of 17,271 last Tuesday, but there were 14,600 who actually turned up, which means that there were 2,700 ST no shows. I am sure there are good reasons for this, especially in relation to kids who are STH's, but the issue is a common one, as evidenced by the Arsenal attendance thread elsewhere on NSC.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In complete agreement with TCB. The stats don't lie- Palace have had consistently higher attendances and league position for many years. Of course there were extenuating circumstances on both sides but that doesn't change the numbers.

There are always peaks and troughs in football and unfortunately we've been in a deep trough for years. However we're clearly now rising and hopefully we'll fulfil the our true potential. Then it will be time to start mocking Palace.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In complete agreement with TCB. The stats don't lie- Palace have had consistently higher attendances and league position for many years. Of course there were extenuating circumstances on both sides but that doesn't change the numbers.

There are always peaks and troughs in football and unfortunately we've been in a deep trough for years. However we're clearly now rising and hopefully we'll fulfil the our true potential. Then it will be time to start mocking Palace.

True enough but it should be remembered that as a club that has been in Administration twice it's fair to say that Palace have been in a false position. Had they stayed within their budget it's debatable as to how far they would have got. It's true that Mark Goldberg was a complete idiot but on the other hand Tangoman was not.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
True enough but it should be remembered that as a club that has been in Administration twice it's fair to say that Palace have been in a false position. Had they stayed within their budget it's debatable as to how far they would have got. It's true that Mark Goldberg was a complete idiot but on the other hand Tangoman was not.

Goldberg's wiki page is comical:

Crystal Palace

In 1997, he was linked with purchasing Premier League club Crystal Palace, a club he was a fan of, from long-time chairman Ron Noades. At first this was thought to be simply speculation but soon developed into a serious story. Noades offered the club and its Selhurst Park stadium to Goldberg for £30million (with a £3million option to be used for playing staff), considered by most to be an extortionate amount for a club that was likely to be relegated from the Premier League.

Nevertheless Goldberg had agreed to this deal and went out to raise funds. He came back to Noades after he had run out of time on the £3million option claiming he had only £22.8million, an amount that led Noades to suggest that Goldberg could purchase just the club and not the stadium for that total, and the club would be handed a ten year lease to continue playing there. However it soon came to light that Goldberg only actually had £18million, gained from promises from investors, and so was loaned £5million from Noades to make up the complete total.

The deal went through and Goldberg was installed as Palace chairman. His first move was to change the manager, with the long-serving Steve Coppell moved to Director of Football and Italy international Attilio Lombardo and the soon-to-retire Tomas Brolin taking over as player-managers. This was considered strange, as Lombardo did not speak English and was the side's star player. The duo did not last long in these roles, and Goldberg then appointed none other than former owner Noades, alongside coach Ray Lewington, as caretaker manager.

The club were relegated from the Premier League, finishing bottom of the table by a big margin.
In order to "secure further investment" in the club, Goldberg installed former-England Head Coach Terry Venables (who had started his managerial career at Palace, then left in acrimonious circumstances) as Palace Head Coach. Palace stormed to the top of the First Division with the side putting together some strong performances. However the club was now surrounded in unrest with Goldberg's financial backers withdrawing their support.

The club's highest earners, Venables and Lombardo, were allowed to leave in hope of reducing the wage bill significantly. Steve Coppell resumed the role of manager as the club slid towards liquidation. Goldberg left the club in January 1999.[1] He was replaced by Peter Morley and the club put in administration.[2]

Goldberg himself lost his entire fortune and was declared bankrupt in 2000.[3] The Goldberg family helped him climb out of this and he returned to a normal life working in agency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Goldberg

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seriously ?

Who gives a f*** ?

It's about results not bloody attendance figures, we've fallen short against Palace this season but do we really have to keep mentioning ooh we got more fans attend such and such

What's important is the fact we are 6 points above them... Not that we took 200 more fans to Middlesboro

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Seriously ?

Who gives a f*** ?

It's about results not bloody attendance figures, we've fallen short against Palace this season but do we really have to keep mentioning ooh we got more fans attend such and such

What's important is the fact we are 6 points above them... Not that we took 200 more fans to Middlesboro
This is it for me . If you finish above us at the end of the season then you have bragging rights . All these threads prove to me that some of you are just so desperate to get one over us and all it does is make you look pathetic .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here