Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair mate we've always had a pretty solid away fan base.

I think that is fair comment since we went to Withers, but being an old codger and recalling the old days in the top division, we took loads in the first season to places such as OT, Anfield, Highbury etc, but it did drop off alarmingly in the following three years. At a number of matches our away support dropped below 100 as people found far better things to to than watch another inevitable defeat.

There were socio-economic reasons to explain some of the decline, as well as issues surrounding hooliganism, which contributed towards attendances in the 80's (Manchester United, for example, only averaged 36,000 in 1989/90, and the previous season FOUR clubs in the top division averaged less than 8,700.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not gloating at all, doesn't seem to be much point in doing so, Palace support has fallen off seriously in recent years and to be fair our Withers attendances are pretty good in percentage, just as we are top of the percentage charts right now, filling 90% of the stadium week in and week out. I also find these 'my dad is bigger than your dad' threads pointless, but a little gloat from fellow supporters ain't all that bad really?

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
Sell outs are irrelevant. If Barcelona get a 90,000 crowd in the 100,000-seat Nou Camp they're still a bigger club than Crawley Town selling out at the 4,500-seat Broadfield Stadium (not that that would happen anyway). The facts are that Palace have had bigger crowds and been in a higher league than us for 20/25 years. They are a bigger club. Get over it. I love the fact we're starting to even things up and I've no doubt we'll STEAM ahead of them, but taking the high ground after dominating six months out of the last quarter of a century is really pathetic.

I'm not knocking our support whatsoever. But taking 200 more people to Middlesbrough is not a reason to gloat. Have some STATISTICS if you like.

Five years ago: Palace average attendance 17,541; Albion average attendance 6,027.
Ten years ago: Palace average attendance 18,120; Albion average attendance 6,597.
Fifteen years ago: Palace average attendance 16,085; Albion average attendance 5,844.

Shall I go on?

some common sense at last

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Percentage is just as irrelevant as sell-outs though. It all depends on the size of your stadium. We've had a tiny stadium for years, so of course our percentage will be high.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we are better than Palace in literally every area - stadium, chairman, manager, team, potential, money, home crowds, away crowds. But at the same time I think we have to do it for a lot more than six months before we're the undisputed heavyweight of this particular rivalry. All this wanking over attendances is a bit like Man City fans trying to claim they're now bigger and better than Man United, based on the two extra points they've accumulated this year after being thoroughly PUMMELLED for the last 20.

To be fair during that 20 year period City did have a bigger pitch than United, and had celebrity fans such as Curly Watts, Bernard Manning and Eddie Large. They are truly MASSIVE.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Percentage is just as irrelevant as sell-outs though. It all depends on the size of your stadium. We've had a tiny stadium for years, so of course our percentage will be high.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that we are better than Palace in literally every area - stadium, chairman, manager, team, potential, money, home crowds, away crowds. But at the same time I think we have to do it for a lot more than six months before we're the undisputed heavyweight of this particular rivalry. All this wanking over attendances is a bit like Man City fans trying to claim they're now bigger and better than Man United, based on the two extra points they've accumulated this year after being thoroughly PUMMELLED for the last 20.

I cannot disagree mate, but the 90% sell outs at Withers was the prequel to the 90% sell outs at the Amex, but yes, it'll take years to have that upper ground on our friends from Croydon, not months.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I cannot disagree mate, but the 90% sell outs at Withers was the prequel to the 90% sell outs at the Amex, but yes, it'll take years to have that upper ground on our friends from Croydon, not months.

We are certainly heading in the right direction, and we do have the upper hand in relation to stadium and facilities. I suspect that most Palace fans would (privately) admit they are envious of those aspects of the Albion's current set up. At the same time we are about equal in terms of wage bill and the type of player we can attract, although this season has seen that gap narrow, and could easily be reversed in the near future.

However, as TCB very fairly puts it, we need to regularly give them a thumping on the pitch before we have some genuine bragging rights IMO. It's 25 years since we beat that lot at home, and that is far, far too long.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We are certainly heading in the right direction, and we do have the upper hand in relation to stadium and facilities. I suspect that most Palace fans would (privately) admit they are envious of those aspects of the Albion's current set up. At the same time we are about equal in terms of wage bill and the type of player we can attract, although this season has seen that gap narrow, and could easily be reversed in the near future.

However, as TCB very fairly puts it, we need to regularly give them a thumping on the pitch before we have some genuine bragging rights IMO. It's 25 years since we beat that lot at home, and that is far, far too long.

Although I rarely agree with you EP, I do on this post.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
We are certainly heading in the right direction, and we do have the upper hand in relation to stadium and facilities. I suspect that most Palace fans would (privately) admit they are envious of those aspects of the Albion's current set up.

When our £15m academy is up and running the foundation stone will carry the number '397' in memory of those Palace fans who made the journey north on that nippy February day.

here we go again another stupid attendance thread,did you go ?
you took 679 hardly loads more,in fact an extra 282 and when you consider it would have been a new ground for some of your fans i think thats pretty poor
considering the doubts re the weather i think 379 is okay
i must have missed your thread about peterboro away , brighton 1944 palace 3291 ! oh dear
It's not that long ago that we played Middlesbrough in the Carling Cup, shirley? I was there.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
cock-helicopter.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thought after tue it is now widely accepted from both sides we are the bigger club. Do we need yet more evidence ?
Oh what happened on Tuesday then? I was at shithurst where the home performance was poor and the home support was worse.

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011
Not gloating at all, doesn't seem to be much point in doing so, Palace support has fallen off seriously in recent years and to be fair our Withers attendances are pretty good in percentage, just as we are top of the percentage charts right now, filling 90% of the stadium week in and week out. I also find these 'my dad is bigger than your dad' threads pointless, but a little gloat from fellow supporters ain't all that bad really?

wrong re our attendances 2010 14771, last year 15351, this year 15174

England historical attendance and performance

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And it has, and this year they even quote attendances when people aren't actually there.

salako

Banned
Sep 29, 2011

see above , unless you meant something else by support has fallen off ? as you can see from my post it hasn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports