250,000 people miss out on Olympic tickets altogether!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I had a 66% success rate, I applied for Football 1/4 finals at Wembley, a day at the tennis and basketball at the O2. 3 tickets for each (2 adult & 1 child). As they were all the same prices I have no idea which of the 3 I got.

It would have been better if more people got something rather than some people getting loads and others nothing. There must have been a way to lower the priority level for people once they got tickets for something to give more chance for people who had nothing. i.e. if someone got tickets for opening ceremony/Closing ceremony/100m etc.., they get removed from the ballot for other oversubscribed events.

Aldridge Prior

Aug 3, 2010
I applied for £43,000 worth of tickets for me. My girlfriend is in the American Olympic squad so I had no choice.

Anyway, I got a bill for £41,000 which means I got most of what I asked for. I only went for the best seats, so I'm fairly certain I have seats for the 100m mens final, the relays, both ceremonies, the football finals (men and women) at Wembley and obviously the women's beach volleyball. (Actually I had a threesome with the Brazilian team once).

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I applied for £43,000 worth of tickets for me. My girlfriend is in the American Olympic squad so I had no choice.

Anyway, I got a bill for £41,000 which means I got most of what I asked for. I only went for the best seats, so I'm fairly certain I have seats for the 100m mens final, the relays, both ceremonies, the football finals (men and women) at Wembley and obviously the women's beach volleyball. (Actually I had a threesome with the Brazilian team once).

Really? Wow!

Twat.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Really? Wow!

Twat.

Well summed up!:lolol:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Theres a Q&A going on with Chris Townsend (London 2012 Director responsible for Ticketing) on the Telegraph website at the moment:

London 2012 Olympics: missed out on tickets? Find out why in our exclusive live webchat - Telegraph

Mostly he's just saying it all worked fine and exactly as they planned. Apparently each ticket price for each event was a separate ballot which is why some people got a lot and some nothing. Don't know how feasible it would've been to make sure everyone got something but that would've seemed fairer...

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Aldridge prior, the hopeless liar.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010

Student_Pocket_Guide_Inbetweeners_Interview_Jay.jpg

?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is one of the problems with the system they came up with. There really should've been some kind of priority for people who are actually interested in athletics. As it is the crowd will probably be pretty unknowlegable and made up of big event tourists and competition winners. All they had to do was open an initial ballot to people who've been to a Grand Prix event in the last 10 years before the massive free for all.

This is a problem with modern ticket allocation full stop. It's too easy for people to just sign up to a ballot and get lucky. The pre-internet days of going somewhere and physically queuing for a ticket were actually much fairer. At least if someone's bothered to camp out all night to be at the front of a line you know they've made an effort and must've really wanted it. You need to make it a little bit difficult just to put off the chancers.

You can tell the organisers thought process in having a ballott - everyone has an equal chance so it must be the fairest way. In fact they've made it very unfair because the whole thing is vastly skewed towards people who can afford to bid for everything. Also the whole process hasn't been very transparent. They haven't said how many tickets were available for each event. For all you lot know you were one of millions applying for 100 tickets to watch mens taekwondo

Is there something about having to bring the card that you bought the tickets with to the event as proof that you purchased them through the ballot so as to minimise any touting.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yep you guys are right. Should get my credit cards on line. However with a current account and two business accounts on-line can't be arsed. Life is to short to keep looking at bank statements.
Perhaps I have good news to come when I get the statement.!!!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yep you guys are right. Should get my credit cards on line. However with a current account and two business accounts on-line can't be arsed. Life is to short to keep looking at bank statements.
Perhaps I have good news to come when I get the statement.!!!!

But not to write about them on messageboards?

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Applied for several swimming evenings (including evenings where Brits are not in line for medals) & an athletics evening.

Allocated nil.

Didn't think there'd be a wildly excessive demand for the above, but now I reckon these events were oversubscribed many many times over.

The lowish ratio quoted on total oversubscriptions is a bity false, as it is diluted downwards by the likes of judo, handball, kayaking etc.

Shame that I won't get the once-in-a-lifetime chance to watch Olympic athletics in the stadium in my own country!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Reel em in, wind em up.....

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Nowt for me. Did the usual opening & closing ceremonies on the one in a million chance I'd get a £20.12 ticket so I'm not gutted about not getting them. But, I had also gone for several of the less popular events at off peak times and got none of them also! One of the guys at work just went for the opening and closing ceremony and must have got one of them as the money went out of his account today. What pisses me off is he is the most unsporting, overweight, mouthy git who then turned round to me and said he would try and flog them for a huge profit as he wasn't that bothered about going.

Just wondering like, but what events would you recommend for someone unsporting who wants to experience the Olympics ?

BTW I missed out on 100m final tickets but got basketball semi-final tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports