Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

250,000 people miss out on Olympic tickets altogether!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bloke on bbc news this morning got £11k worth of tickets.

I didn't see that, but unless there are some special circumstances that is obscene. This, according to Lord Coe for the last decade, is supposed to be an inclusive event. It's easy to see it with hindsight (actually not just with hindsight), but applications should have been capped at £500/1,000. I can't believe the ethos behind the ticketing strategy was to the let only those with a £15k limit on their credit card have a realistic chance of getting any tickets, and screw the rest. Sadly we'll never know the exact mechanics behind this 'random ballot'.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I applied for £5600 got £116 (2%). I know 4 people that applied for £3 - 5k and got nothing and nor does anyone else I know. If it was only 3 times over-subscribed (20m applied for 6.6m tickets), how can that be? Hardly anyone on this forum achieve a 1/3 of what they applied for..

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I got nothing, although I did only apply for Opening Ceremony tickets. Was hoping my brother would have got at least SOMETHING out of his applications, but alas.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
yep, pay and watch someone throw a stick, or a stone, or run round a track......you are missing so much....i really feel for you.

Presumably you pay to watch a bunch of blokes kick a ball around...? :shrug:

No tickets here, either. Between me and my husband we applied for about £3000-worth.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I applied for £5600 got £116 (2%). I know 4 people that applied for £3 - 5k and got nothing and nor does anyone else I know. If it was only 3 times over-subscribed (20m applied for 6.6m tickets), how can that be? Hardly anyone on this forum achieve a 1/3 of what they applied for..

This is a sports forum and I get the impression that a lot of people on here applied for stuff that they wanted to go to - e.g. velodrome, footy, top athletics events, rowing etc. The total probably takes into account the Daily Express brigade that put down all sorts of random equestrian events and other stuff. They probably have way higher credit limits as well.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
I see £450 odd has come out of my account overnight... this means I've got 2 tickets for the mens 100m Final....or 6 x Handball, Archery and Canoeing I also put in for...oooh the suspense.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't see that, but unless there are some special circumstances that is obscene.

Yep. He applied for £35k. Must be high end seats, where odds are better.

If you applied for cheap seats, the odds were clearly much worse than 1 in 3, as suggested.

Personally, I have no regrets not applying for tickets costing hundreds or thousands each.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The much-mentioned £11k bloke applied for c£35k.

His payment was rejected, but he opted to arrange for his credit limit to be raised so that the payment could go through.

There's your 'get a third'(ish) bloke.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I applied for £3.5k worth of tickets and got nothing. Starting to think I can't be bothered with it all now, not that I have a choice :lol:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
nada...zilch...nuls point..diddly squat..:(

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would be interested to know (not that we will) how many tickets are now in the hands of very happy touts. The rumours of large corporates using staff emails to enter the ballots in large numbers are starting to ring true.

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
Applied for 8 different events that I thought were a bit off the beaten track - Taekwondo, BMX - ended up with 2 sets of boxing, one of which is the semi-finals. Can't complain, given the failure of others to get anything.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yep. He applied for £35k. Must be high end seats, where odds are better.

If you applied for cheap seats, the odds were clearly much worse than 1 in 3, as suggested.

Personally, I have no regrets not applying for tickets costing hundreds or thousands each.

Like you, I've done the World Cup ballots and had some luck in the past. I knew you would have an exponentially better chance if you went for the most expensive seats at the Olympics, but I just couldn't do that this year. Ironically it could prove the only 1/2 things I did get were for the seats that weren't the cheapest price, done only for that reason.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
In hindisght our strategy was rubbish. We went for lots of events but all at cheap tickets. I guess if we had done fewer events for slightly more expensive seats we may have got more. Problem is the lack of info didn't really make it very clear how much of each type of seat was available which may have changed the strategy.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
In hindisght our strategy was rubbish. We went for lots of events but all at cheap tickets. I guess if we had done fewer events for slightly more expensive seats we may have got more. Problem is the lack of info didn't really make it very clear how much of each type of seat was available which may have changed the strategy.

I tried exactly this strategy for both high profile and less popular events. Got nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here