Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

250,000 people miss out on Olympic tickets altogether!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Really depends what you went for, I got football but missed out on athletics, swimming and beach volleyball. Guy at work got a few, but on events like table tennis and indoor volleyball.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looks like I missed out as well :(
Put in for a couple of days worth of the Decathlon. Ahh well.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Really depends what you went for, I got football but missed out on athletics, swimming and beach volleyball. Guy at work got a few, but on events like table tennis and indoor volleyball.

Probably at the expense of table-tennis and volleyball fans who would have loved it!

Edit - not a criticism aimed at him, just the system.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
250,000 miss out on tickets for Olympics | This is Money

I am extremely dissapointed with this. I applied for the non medal events to take the kids to and looks like i have nothing. Gutted

There should have been a priority on these tickets.
Should have gone to UK households and schools before going out to anyone else.

Would like to know how many free tickets have gone out to corporates for the main events.

Sounds to me like the whole thing has turned in to a joke. Usual story.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
yep, pay and watch someone throw a stick, or a stone, or run round a track......you are missing so much....i really feel for you.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be honest I was pretty disappointed with what I got as a percentage, but seeing people who got zip/nada I should probably be happy, as you'll rightly be a lot more pissed off than me.

I don't think I would have done anything differently with hindsight, £700 was the absolute maximum I could afford to spend so that's what I applied for, like one or two others said it would have been a family holiday if we'd got them all. Now it'll be a family day trip.

I know there is this second phase, but I can't believe this has been allocated in the most efficient way, having to go through all that once, and then do the whole exercise again trying to get stuff you could easily have got first time. Like others, I didn't go for any of the 'premium' events, so I'm surprised.

Given the number of very disappointed people, if I was the government I'd seriously look at some of the fat-cat allocation. For example, they took FIFA's Olympics rooms away, but have they still got tickets? That would be a vote-winner straight away.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Everyone in my office applied for tickets, and none of us got one. I signed up for it about two years ago when they initially said that only people who'd signed up would be eligible to buy. Then they open it up to anyone. Load of bollocks. Especially gutted, because we live so near the Olympic sites.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
"London 2012 received more than 20m requests for just 6.6m seats. One million applications were received for the 40,000 seats available for the men's 100m final, and the opening ceremony was ten times oversubscribed."

Some people were always going to miss out. That happens when demand massively outstrips supply.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Everyone in my office applied for tickets, and none of us got one. I signed up for it about two years ago when they initially said that only people who'd signed up would be eligible to buy. Then they open it up to anyone. Load of bollocks. Especially gutted, because we live so near the Olympic sites.

Go to the test events at the venues then - some world-class sport on the doorstep at brand new arenas. There's also plenty of free things to see too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
"Applicants who missed out will be given priority when a second tranche of tickets is released later this year, but those tickets are for less popular events, including handball and hockey."

As for the 20m for 6.6m seats. Does sound unlikely that people would get tickets, but then 1m were for one event. Another 1m were for the Opening Ceremony, so in fact there will be events that have many spaces left. Disappointed but not unhopeful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
"London 2012 received more than 20m requests for just 6.6m seats. One million applications were received for the 40,000 seats available for the men's 100m final, and the opening ceremony was ten times oversubscribed."

Some people were always going to miss out. That happens when demand massively outstrips supply.

Even on the most basic calculation, that's a third. A third, if you use NSC as a litmus test, is not what people have got, not by a long way. And in fact it's higher than that, because as people have said those applications are not evenly distributed, and many more were heavily loaded on to certain blue-riband days. So if you didn't apply for those days, then missed out altogether, and see official tickets available all over Europe on the internet, it is hard to see how it has been done. Surely the huge bulk of tickets should go to the home market, it's not like a World Cup when you have vast travelling numbers of fans in the tens of thousands for each country.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
6 of us in our office applied and 1 person got 1 set of tickets so lots of disappointed people here at Uni of Sussex!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Bloke on bbc news this morning got £11k worth of tickets.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Find it difficult to believe only 250k out of 1.8m missed out. I applied for £5600 got £116 (2%). I know 4 people that applied for £3 - 5k and got nothing. I think big applications were rejected or given low priority. Aside of that I know of no one who has got any at all? Is Sepp Blatter in charge?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I see your point, and I don't think anyone on here is suggesting they had a god-given right to attend every event they wanted. But it doesn't make the way they've gone about thinks fair or even conducive to a good atmosphere/games.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Find it difficult to believe only 250k out of 1.8m missed out. I applied for £5600 got £116 (2%). I know 4 people that applied for £3 - 5k and got nothing. I think big applications were rejected or given low priority. Aside of that I know of no one who has got any at all? Is Sepp Blatter in charge?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here