Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think in retrospect we underrated the New Zealand bowling attack he was undone by, though having said that he looked hopelessly out of form when he was dropped.

He got 2 centuries out there, but in the home series he did get found out.

Watching him at Hove, he seemed solid, and only played when he needed to.

Where as Robson got out in the first innings to a brain dead shot.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Well, your describing a general malaise around England. 5 of Carberry's tests were in Australia against an on fire bowling attack. To say he didn't 'kick on' when no one else did in the team is amazingly harsh. I agree with you on Compton too.

These players are getting dropped for one reason only - they're not complimenting a struggling Cook. Not only do each of these openers coming in need to play for themselves, they're playing for Cook too. The pressure on them with the experienced guy at the other end scratching around must be ridiculous.

I'm not saying Cook should be dropped, but we should stop thinking he is undroppable. Many great players got dropped and came back stronger. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Cook should have been dropped after the Ashes, needed time in County Cricket to relocate his off stump.

However in recent games, his batting is not the problem, his captaincy is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England 103-4 (24.2 overs) :clap2:

I'd make Root captain. Massive risk that it might impact his form, but he seems the sort of young lad that would revel in it and rise to the challenge. Its the kind of seismic change this side needs.

Never liked opening captains, wicket keeper captains or bowling captains. Too much concentration needed to get in your zone. Bowlers are never subjective about bowling changes either.

I'd just get on with it. He's going to be the next captain anyway, although maybe wait until Cook is finally crucified by the Aussies, then do it. No need to scar the lad.

Stumpy Tim

The problem with England's batting is their reluctance to score quickly. Drives me mental. The great teams have batsmen who don't look to survive, they look to take the game to their opponents and score quickly. Cook & Moore's tactical approach has been one of safety first in all aspects of the game, including batting slowly. It puts pressure on the batsmen, allows the fielding team to set more attacking fields, and it means we're on a lower score when the second new ball is taken.

Attacking batsmen make the opposing captain think - they spread the field and are able to take more cheap singles. Look at Root & Stokes go

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
The problem with England's batting is their reluctance to score quickly. Drives me mental. The great teams have batsmen who don't look to survive, they look to take the game to their opponents and score quickly. Cook & Moore's tactical approach has been one of safety first in all aspects of the game, including batting slowly. It puts pressure on the batsmen, allows the fielding team to set more attacking fields, and it means we're on a lower score when the second new ball is taken.

Attacking batsmen make the opposing captain think - they spread the field and are able to take more cheap singles. Look at Root & Stokes go

4.35 per over this morning is prety good don't you think?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd make Root captain. Massive risk that it might impact his form, but he seems the sort of young lad that would revel in it and rise to the challenge. Its the kind of seismic change this side needs.

Never liked opening captains, wicket keeper captains or bowling captains. Too much concentration needed to get in your zone. Bowlers are never subjective about bowling changes either.

I'd just get on with it. He's going to be the next captain anyway, although maybe wait until Cook is finally crucified by the Aussies, then do it. No need to scar the lad.

Not sure about your thoughts on captains that open. A large number have been successful. Mark Taylor would be my best example.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Not sure about your thoughts on captains that open. A large number have been successful. Mark Taylor would be my best example.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Right, you're at the end of the oppositions innings, its intense, you're rotating bowlers, thinking about plans, trying desperately to get the final wickets. 10 mins later your batting.

I bet both Cook and Strauss's averages dropped after captaincy. Vaughan dropped to no.3.

For me, I just think an opener needs to focus so much more than any other batsmen as they're straight out. Every other batsmen has the luxury of getting a cup of tea and getting in the zone on the balcony.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying openers haven't made good captains like Mark Taylor, I just don't think it's ideal.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I do. Thanks to Root & Stokes.

England are usually a boring team to watch, largely due to Cook et al fumbling along at 2 an over.

Absolutely. I generally always prefer watching the team I'm supporting bowling as opposed to batting, but this is doubly true when it comes to England.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Interesting Stat; Before Root was dropped in the final test v Australia 15 matches average 36.73. After he got his place back, 11 matches average 99.17.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here