Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cook is possibly the worst England captain for decades and is shot to pieces!! Basically in the team due to a ropey ton in the West Indies.

What does Alex Hales have to do to get a game for these clowns???

Cook's last 11 test innings - 16,4,105,59*,76,13,11,79,17,70*,95 - Average 60.55

I don't disagree about his suitability to be captain but he's in this team on merit. We've spent 3 years trying to find a partner for him, that should tell you something.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always find it utterly cringeworthy that we deem to give "lesser" nations the odd three test match series as a warm up for bigger challenges to come, yet as is the case with New Zealand, quite often these teams are MILES better than our own bags of piss.

It won't be long before the likes of Australia ask for the Ashes to be 3 match series as a warm up for the bigger challenges of South Africa or India. Or Bangladesh.

The people running cricket at the top in this country are clearly utterly moronic.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Cook's last 11 test innings - 16,4,105,59*,76,13,11,79,17,70*,95 - Average 60.55

Don't disagree about his suitability to be captain but he's in this team on merit. We've spent 3 years trying to find a partner for him, that should tell you something.

Well he has nothing to worry about with his chum Strauss in charge.....Personally I think England would be better off without him whether he's getting runs or not!

Too dour and conservative in his captaincy and that spreads through the team! Anyone with any flair soon loses it.....

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
From the Beeb;

So apparently that batting change wasn't a deliberate move by England - Moeen Ali was batting in the nets and couldn't get his kit on in time to make it out there. Shambles doesn't do it justice - if this series is Paul Farbrace's audition for the permanent job of England coach, that's the equivalent of fluffing your first line and then tripping over part of the set.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well he has nothing to worry about with his chum Strauss in charge.....Personally I think England would be better off without him whether he's getting runs or not!

Too dour and conservative in his captaincy and that spreads through the team! Anyone with any flair soon loses it.....

Come off it, he was an integral part of the team that got to no.1 in the world. Cook the player is not the problem.

Cook the captain might be. Look at the way McCullum has a decent but not world beating New Zealand side playing, they exude confidence.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I always find it utterly cringeworthy that we deem to give "lesser" nations the odd three test match series as a warm up for bigger challenges to come, yet as is the case with New Zealand, quite often these teams are MILES better than our own bags of piss.

It won't be long before the likes of Australia ask for the Ashes to be 3 match series as a warm up for the bigger challenges of South Africa or India. Or Bangladesh.

The people running cricket at the top in this country are clearly utterly moronic.

Maybe it's because England is one of the few countries that can guarantee not only selling out the first 4 days of a 5-6 match series, but will also guarantee good TV money as well, particularly for an Ashes series. It would be moronic to ignore this potential income, even though England only ranked as the 3rd best test team right now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't disagree about his suitability to be captain but he's in this team on merit. We've spent 3 years trying to find a partner for him, that should tell you something.

That he's been destroying new players trying to break into the team? ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe it's because England is one of the few countries that can guarantee not only selling out the first 4 days of a 5-6 match series, but will also guarantee good TV money as well, particularly for an Ashes series. It would be moronic to ignore this potential income, even though England only ranked as the 3rd best test team right now.

Yes, it is indeed all about money. Nothing to do with the level we play out. And there isn't a sane cricket follower out there who genuinely believes England are the third best test team in the world.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Love the fact you decided to extend your analysis to 11 matches to include the 95!

His average since January 2014 is 37.44.

Not good enough for an opener.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Come off it, he was an integral part of the team that got to no.1 in the world. Cook the player is not the problem.

Cook the captain might be. Look at the way McCullum has a decent but not world beating New Zealand side playing, they exude confidence.

Can't disagree really however the game has moved on from Cooks efforts and a clean sweep is needed really and it may come sooner than you think

With Gillespie about to sit down with Strauss to talk about the Head Coach position, I can't see for one minute, he will have any restrictions on selection CAN YOU?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Can't disagree really however the game has moved on from Cooks efforts and a clean sweep is needed really and it may come sooner than you think

With Gillespie about to sit down with Strauss to talk about the Head Coach position, I can't see for one minute, he will have any restrictions on selection CAN YOU?

Who do you drop Cook for?

Hales is playing at 3 for Notts and looks more likely to play at 5 in the test side.

Not many county openers making a case at the moment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, it is indeed all about money. Nothing to do with the level we play out. And there isn't a sane cricket follower out there who genuinely believes England are the third best test team in the world.

Money and games people want to watch, either at the ground or on telly, and follow ball by ball on the radio. Give the punters what they want.

As for standard, it's cyclical. I don't know when this summer's tests were arranged, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been pencilled in 2 years ago when England were still beating the Aussies in the ashes and challenging SA as the number one test team.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Bear in mind that these schedules will have been agree a few years ago, when we were a top 3 side and New Zealand were down the rankings.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
No matter how cr&p England are there is something heartwarming about seeing Lords on the first morning of the first day of an English cricket summer.

It looks a picture as usual.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Love the fact you decided to extend your analysis to 11 matches to include the 95!

His average since January 2014 is 37.44.

Not good enough for an opener.

Lies, damned lies and statisitics!

I'd just about take that, for an opener who bats regularly in English conditions. I'd prefer it to be 40. What's the average of his partner in that time, around 20 I reckon?

Career average 46.22 and he's in decent touch. Cook the player is not the problem with this team.

Sargey

Jan 27, 2006
Portslade
Who do you drop Cook for?

Hales is playing at 3 for Notts and looks more likely to play at 5 in the test side.

Not many county openers making a case at the moment.

Joe Root (Usually opens), Alex Hales, Adam Lyth will be decent given time

We need a more assertive, driven captain.....a botham esque type leader!!! Someone who will take a chance to win the game not hang about trying not to lose

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here