Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 1st Test: England vs New Zealand @ Lords

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Money and games people want to watch, either at the ground or on telly, and follow ball by ball on the radio. Give the punters what they want.

As for standard, it's cyclical. I don't know when this summer's tests were arranged, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been pencilled in 2 years ago when England were still beating the Aussies in the ashes and challenging SA as the number one test team.

Yes it is cyclical. But whereas SA and Australia oscilate between being the best and say 4th at worst, we rarely trouble #1 and are usually at 3 or 4, sometimes a good deal lower. Australia were probably at their poorest in that fairly recently series in Aus where we beat them 3-1, and I reckon they were 4th best in the world. Even if they were 5th, they hadn't been anywhere near as bad as that in 30 years. Our cycle takes us back to that standard in less than half the time.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Joe Root (Usually opens), Alex Hales, Adam Lyth will be decent given time

We need a more assertive, driven captain.....a botham esque type leader!!! Someone who will take a chance to win the game not hang about trying not to lose

Putting Root at the top of the order was a disaster.

Hales is a one day opener, but not in the longer form.

Only option I can see if Ballance opening, but again round hole, square pegs.

Cook the player is not the issue, Cook the captain more so.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who do you drop Cook for?

Hales is playing at 3 for Notts and looks more likely to play at 5 in the test side.

Not many county openers making a case at the moment.

We can't know, because every time a new player comes in, they are the scape goat for an opening failure. In particular Compton and Carberry were outscoring Cook when they got dropped.

He's become an immovable object. Lyth, Carberry, Robson, Compton all made good cases, and still bat will in the county game. Seems that they all get dropped batting around Cook.

2 years he's been out of form now averaging 35 or so. You have to go back to the winter of 2012 for his last bit of form when he got 3 big centuries in India.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes it is cyclical. But whereas SA and Australia oscilate between being the best and say 4th at worst, we rarely trouble #1 and are usually at 3 or 4, sometimes a good deal lower. Australia were probably at their poorest in that fairly recently series in Aus where we beat them 3-1, and I reckon they were 4th best in the world. Even if they were 5th, they hadn't been anywhere near as bad as that in 30 years. Our cycle takes us back to that standard in less than half the time.

I bet we win this 3 match series.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lies, damned lies and statisitics!

I'd just about take that, for an opener who bats regularly in English conditions. I'd prefer it to be 40. What's the average of his partner in that time, around 20 I reckon?

Career average 46.22 and he's in decent touch. Cook the player is not the problem with this team.

Cook the captain is.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
We can't know, because every time a new player comes in, they are the scape goat for an opening failure. In particular Compton and Carberry were outscoring Cook when they got dropped.

He's become an immovable object. Lyth, Carberry, Robson, Compton all made good cases, and still bat will in the county game. Seems that they all get dropped batting around Cook.

2 years he's been out of form now averaging 35 or so. You have to go back to the winter of 2012 for his last bit of form when he got 3 big centuries in India.

The only one that was hard done by in that list is Compton, suspect he was too much of a loner for that set up at the time (wrong I know). He is limited, but uses what he has well.

Carberry should not have been brought back and Robson is a shotless crab who got worked out very quickly.

Also Cook's recent form is not that shabby if you go from the India test at Southampton to the test at Barbados.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only one that was hard done by in that list is Compton, suspect he was too much of a loner for that set up at the time (wrong I know). He is limited, but uses what he has well.

Carberry should not have been brought back and Robson is a shotless crab who got worked out very quickly.

Also Cook's recent form is not that shabby if you go from the India test at Southampton to the test at Barbados.

Carberry top scored in Australia, he only played 6 matches, what did he do wrong?

Actually, I don't think I'm saying he should be dropped, but him being untouchable is a real concern to me. In teams no one should be indispensable, and if form deserts someone, then sometimes you have to say they take a step back for a few matches.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Carberry top scored in Australia, he only played 6 matches, what did he do wrong?

Actually, I don't think I'm saying he should be dropped, but him being untouchable is a real concern to me. In teams no one should be indispensable, and if form deserts someone, then sometimes you have to say they take a step back for a few matches.

Carberry never kicked on from reasonable starts.

I suspect he was seen as too close to Pietersen as well (as was Tremlett, although he was also a busted flush pace wise).

I did not really understand why Carberry was picked to start with. Especially as Compton had got better scores but was discarded.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought he was VERY unlucky to be dropped. His age clearly counted against him.

Which is crap thinking. Australia bought Rogers back because he was in form. Didn't matter to them how old he was. Get the job done, and he's been excellent for Warner. That is the BIG thing for me and why we need a 'manager'. It's not always about picking the best players, it's about getting the right mix. Rogers on his own might not be a choice for the future, but is an excellent choice for Warner.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If only it wasn't just the 2 tests...

A tie then, as we're always shit at lords.

Anyway, I was going away from my original point about how you can hardly call the England team arrogant when this summer's schedule was probably organised 2 years ago around the time England were in the process of winning their 3rd straight Ashes series.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I did not really understand why Carberry was picked to start with. Especially as Compton had got better scores but was discarded.

I think in retrospect we underrated the New Zealand bowling attack he was undone by, though having said that he looked hopelessly out of form when he was dropped.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Which is crap thinking. Australia bought Rogers back because he was in form. Didn't matter to them how old he was. Get the job done, and he's been excellent for Warner. That is the BIG thing for me and why we need a 'manager'. It's not always about picking the best players, it's about getting the right mix. Rogers on his own might not be a choice for the future, but is an excellent choice for Warner.

I was going to mention exactly the same thing about Rogers.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Carberry never kicked on from reasonable starts.

I suspect he was seen as too close to Pietersen as well (as was Tremlett, although he was also a busted flush pace wise).

Well, your describing a general malaise around England. 5 of Carberry's tests were in Australia against an on fire bowling attack. To say he didn't 'kick on' when no one else did in the team is amazingly harsh. I agree with you on Compton too.

These players are getting dropped for one reason only - they're not complimenting a struggling Cook. Not only do each of these openers coming in need to play for themselves, they're playing for Cook too. The pressure on them with the experienced guy at the other end scratching around must be ridiculous.

I'm not saying Cook should be dropped, but we should stop thinking he is undroppable. Many great players got dropped and came back stronger. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here