Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North and South West ST holders meeting 18th December

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Although creating a safe standing area is out of the clubs hands at present, what is to stop them and indeed other clubs backing the campaign to bring back safe standing? That question could be asked? Although not an immediate answer to the questions in the email, its something further down the line to aim for...maybe? Anyone who has attended a Bundesliga fixture will know it can be achieved safely. Wasn't the question asked of Barber sometime back and he poo pooed the idea?

As a slight aside. I too received that email and of all those names, I ever never heard of any of them. I assume (?) these are people brought in by PB when other 'old school' Albion employee's were given their P45's?

I had a meet with Barber, Perry, Paul C and John Baine a couple of years ago asking the Club to back safe standing. Their view was that, because we are 'Premier League ready' why would be implement something that is not approved in the Premier League. We may soon be allowed it in League One though, as Bristol City are trialling it. There was also a suggestion that safe standing would encourage crowd disorder..... incredible. For anyone that hasnt been to a Bundesliga game, go and have a look what it does for their atmospheres.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The rev attended a meeting before the first ball was kicked and gave them many ideas how to get the atmosphere right and they didn't listen. Includeds an area for young fans to get together at a reasonable price. However am pleased the club are trying to improve the atmosphere. We need chips. :facepalm:

That may be the one I attended with poyet, bloom and the board with a round the table discussion of how to get the atmosphere going...the fanzone music etc came out of this although the main issue was that people at the top couldn't understand that if we were 4-0 up, as we were at withdean a few times in the last season there, the atmosphere died as people just sat and watched as the initial excitement of scoring had worn off.

I think poyat seemed to want us to be more like the Turkish and South American fans who jumped around and sing all the game. With british clouds it tends to be that only when things are good on the pitch, we get the singing and chanting going. I also made the point that in those countries the vast majority of fans " ultras" or whatever you what to call them, all stand and jump around...and light flares...which is something that is totally frowned upon in the UK. Certainly they are not hassled by stewards wanting people to sit down and shut up all the time.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well done the club for at least broaching the subject with the people involved. The only small criticism I would level at them is that a weeks notice, a week before Christmas, is a little short. I know of at least five people out of my group who won't be able to attend without cancelling prior engagements (Christmas parties, work etc), I certainly will not be able to attend.

My friends and I moved to under the Police Box this year from a back row, right behind the goal spot before. I think that tells you all you need to know about the atmosphere or lack of in the middle section at the moment.

Unfortunately, there is no way the club can move the police box people to the middle, there are too many people to move, and it will upset too many people. I think the very best they can do is move our set of supporters towards the middle a bit. So make block D that section, with the drop off in season tickets there should be a way of moving season ticket holders in that section without giving them terrible seats. Even that will probably be impossible though. I do feel a way needs to be found for getting us out from under the Police Box though, the low roof makes it very hard for others to hear what we are singing, which is surely the whole point.

On drums, I am certainly not as anti as many on here. However, it is essential that the right person is found for the drum if we were to have one. They only work if the drummer has the discipline to wait until a chant is started, then start drumming to keep it in time. The worst thing to happen is when a drummer starts banging out the rhythm to a song then the crowd joins in. Almost nothing sounds as shit as this, see fat bloke at Leicester for a prime example of how not to do a drum in a football stadium, or the utterly shithouse England Band.

Stewarding wise, I think the club have been better recently, certainly for us in the North West. Though we have all made the effort to have a good dialogue with the individual stewards in our section, Louise the North Stand Manager and Chris Baker before he was encouraged to leave (sacked). On this we all have a part to play, try not to argue unnecessarily with stewards. If they ask you to sit down, be polite, maybe do as they say, then stand back up as soon as they leave. They know this is a silly game too, and do not want to throw you out anymore than you want to be thrown out. It will be interesting to see how the new guy is going to do things, but I know that more than a few feathers have been ruffled by Chris's departure and the club are in danger of losing some more very good people over this.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Well done the club for at least broaching the subject with the people involved. The only small criticism I would level at them is that a weeks notice, a week before Christmas, is a little short. I know of at least five people out of my group who won't be able to attend without cancelling prior engagements (Christmas parties, work etc), I certainly will not be able to attend.

My friends and I moved to under the Police Box this year from a back row, right behind the goal spot before. I think that tells you all you need to know about the atmosphere or lack of in the middle section at the moment.

Unfortunately, there is no way the club can move the police box people to the middle, there are too many people to move, and it will upset too many people. I think the very best they can do is move our set of supporters towards the middle a bit. So make block D that section, with the drop off in season tickets there should be a way of moving season ticket holders in that section without giving them terrible seats. Even that will probably be impossible though. I do feel a way needs to be found for getting us out from under the Police Box though, the low roof makes it very hard for others to hear what we are singing, which is surely the whole point.

On drums, I am certainly not as anti as many on here. However, it is essential that the right person is found for the drum if we were to have one. They only work if the drummer has the discipline to wait until a chant is started, then start drumming to keep it in time. The worst thing to happen is when a drummer starts banging out the rhythm to a song then the crowd joins in. Almost nothing sounds as shit as this, see fat bloke at Leicester for a prime example of how not to do a drum in a football stadium, or the utterly shithouse England Band.

Stewarding wise, I think the club have been better recently, certainly for us in the North West. Though we have all made the effort to have a good dialogue with the individual stewards in our section, Louise the North Stand Manager and Chris Baker before he was encouraged to leave (sacked). On this we all have a part to play, try not to argue unnecessarily with stewards. If they ask you to sit down, be polite, maybe do as they say, then stand back up as soon as they leave. They know this is a silly game too, and do not want to throw you out anymore than you want to be thrown out. It will be interesting to see how the new guy is going to do things, but I know that more than a few feathers have been ruffled by Chris's departure and the club are in danger of losing some more very good people over this.
How many of you are there?

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
a big problem is (are?) the acoustics, you can have 6 different songs started round the stadium but nobody can hear any of them. So techies, is there a technical solution to that, sort of microphone, amplifier and speaker? Subtle of course.

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
I'm a STH in the WSU, so not invited to this meeting, but i want to share my experiences from a recent Europa match between Legia Warsaw and Metalist. I was in Warsaw on a business trip and was invited along as my company have a corporate box.

The atmosphere was immense! Much much better than at the Amex, why?
1) The ground is similar size and age to the Amex, but is much more compact. The stands were much steeper and seats closer together.
2) There was a conductor in front of the main stand (our North stand) who encouraged the fans to sing songs / chants etc. He never faced the pitch! He was apprarently paid by Legia to create an atmosphere.
3) Drummers involved (x2)
4) Players had a closer relationship with the fans. They were always engaged with the fans and at the end of the match, always thanked them for their support. Even went up to the crowd to speak to the kids and disabled, who gathered at the bottom of the main stand behind the goal.
5) Fans were allowed to stand throughout
6) Fans had a number of Legia songs, whilst BHA have only one: GOSBTS. When sung, all fans joined in holding the Legia badge - very very passionate!
7) Their main stand was much bigger and is located behind the goal
8) Lots of jumping up / down and scarve swinging. Again, everyone joined in!
9) The Stewards were very relaxed.

The noise was non stop and hurt my ears at times. However, i did find it a little hostile and Legia do have a hooligan issue, althought none reported at this particular match.

I love the Amex but having experienced another stadium of similar age / size, i don't believe the Amex design helps in terms of atmosphere.

The wierd part to all this, when Legia scored a goal there was no change in the atmosphere.

Here's a taster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BddK39-b3Y You will see the conductor on 1min 12secs.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
That would be good.

Don't know why people keep coming up with this, it will never happen.

Tonight is a good example, Millwall will hurl all sorts of insults at us and most of us won't have a clue what they are saying, move them next to the North Stand and all hell will break loose, more police more arrests, im sure the club would love that.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The club were told 4 years ago and didn't listen,too late now:facepalm::facepalm:

The club didn't need to listen 4 years ago because the ground was packed to the rafters. It was basically lump it or someone else will take your place. It happened at Withdean, it happened at the Amex and it will happen again during future good times.

Now the club need to get the fans back on side now that attendances and revenues are dropping so expect some more conciliatory tones for the time being.

Oct 11, 2005
London
The club has got exactly what it deserved - the stadium design has done nothing to create a decent atmosphere, with padded seats, very shallow and small stands behind each goal, massive corporate bias, over sensitive efforts to make it a ‘family day out’. What did they actually expect??

Travelling around Europe and seeing proper atmospheres, actually makes me ashamed of what we have become at home. There’s no passion. Away from home, different story of course.

If the club are serious about listening to us for a change, I think the following would help:

Short term:

- Make the North Stand a singing zone, where standing is allowed throughout the match, no matter which row you’re in (Cardiff City are doing this legally, with local council and football league consent). This should help to discourage non-singers from going in the North Stand. Currently I’d estimate 50% of North Standers in our area are not interested in making any noise.

- Move NSK to directly behind the goal in the North Stand.

- Move away fans into a corner, ideally next to the North Stand. This is common practice at most grounds so there’s NO reason we can’t do it too. If the club remain unconvinced, then at least put them on one side of the East Stand - but whatever happens it’s vital they’re not behind the goal.

Long term:

- Join other clubs (Villa, Bristol City, Peterboro etc.) in offering to trial rail seats in the North Stand. It’s time the club actually listened to the fans and supported safe standing. To date, Barber has been incredibly condescending when asked to publicly support this. Given our history this is utterly shameful in my opinion.

- Acoustics are terrible when compared with other grounds, could the North Stand roof be clan differently to reflect noise better?

- Make the North Stand steeper. I’ve attached a couple of before and after images.

All’s not lost, we can definitely create a decent atmosphere, one to be proud of, but the club have got to help us.

View attachment 60839
View attachment 60840

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Make the North Stand a singing zone, where standing is allowed throughout the match, no matter which row you’re in (Cardiff City are doing this legally, with local council and football league consent).

If this is right, the point has to be made at the meeting. What a difference that would make.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
The club has got exactly what it deserved - the stadium design has done nothing to create a decent atmosphere, with padded seats, very shallow and small stands behind each goal, massive corporate bias, over sensitive efforts to make it a ‘family day out’. What did they actually expect??

Travelling around Europe and seeing proper atmospheres, actually makes me ashamed of what we have become at home. There’s no passion. Away from home, different story of course.

If the club are serious about listening to us for a change, I think the following would help:

Short term:

- Make the North Stand a singing zone, where standing is allowed throughout the match, no matter which row you’re in (Cardiff City are doing this legally, with local council and football league consent). This should help to discourage non-singers from going in the North Stand. Currently I’d estimate 50% of North Standers in our area are not interested in making any noise.

- Move NSK to directly behind the goal in the North Stand.

- Move away fans into a corner, ideally next to the North Stand. This is common practice at most grounds so there’s NO reason we can’t do it too. If the club remain unconvinced, then at least put them on one side of the East Stand - but whatever happens it’s vital they’re not behind the goal.

Long term:

- Join other clubs (Villa, Bristol City, Peterboro etc.) in offering to trial rail seats in the North Stand. It’s time the club actually listened to the fans and supported safe standing. To date, Barber has been incredibly condescending when asked to publicly support this. Given our history this is utterly shameful in my opinion.

- Acoustics are terrible when compared with other grounds, could the North Stand roof be clan differently to reflect noise better?

- Make the North Stand steeper. I’ve attached a couple of before and after images.

All’s not lost, we can definitely create a decent atmosphere, one to be proud of, but the club have got to help us.

View attachment 60839
View attachment 60840

The Cardiff City point definitely has to be raised. I think the Club would agree to this as a compromise whilst Safe Standing goes through the process of being approved. Cardiff story is here:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/Cardiff-City-s-incredible-journey-by-Dr-Steve-Frosdick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here