Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Learning to love David Burke - "I’m not here to try and become the first team manager"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here speaks someone with no knowledge on the subject.
Indeed, and it would be nice to be able to keep hold of our best players too.

I do believe that it would be better to have someone with experience, reputation and contacts in football to be managing our transfer activity.

and here is someone that has at the very least done a basic wiki search.
Exactly, someone who has; Assistant Academy Manager and Talent Identification & Recruitment Manager at Fulham, been an Elite Scout for Manchester City, and a Scouting & Recruitment Department Manager at Southampton with 15 years scouting at the top level on their CV would be required for starters!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That Albion Roar feature on David Burke was really enlightening and anyone wondering why he has the job should give it a listen before damning the man's credentials.

I reckon there would be plenty of other Clubs who would bite an arm off to have the dream team of Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and David Burke. Given TB's mega financial investment he wouldn't then entrust the day to day running of his Club to people he doesn't rate very highly. In fact TB has shown he can be pretty ruthless with those who are not effective or loyal but equally he hasn't promoted the boy painting the perimeter fence to be Director of Football either.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
From what I've read about Burke. He had a year and a half at Saints, before the new regime came in. Before that he had 10mths at Man City identifying 15-21yr olds, before the big money came in and before that 2yrs at Fulham working with kids as well. Now he is our director of football. In a new £100m stadium and a state of the art training facility coming online.....Excuse me if this doesn't fill me full of optimism, on who's running our transfer dealings.......David Burke is to Oscar Garcia in terms of football, is what Ronald McDonald is to Jamie Oliver in term of healthy eating.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
From what I've read about Burke. He had a year and a half at Saints, before the new regime came in. Before that he had 10mths at Man City identifying 15-21yr olds, before the big money came in and before that 2yrs at Fulham working with kids as well. Now he is our director of football. In a new £100m stadium and a state of the art training facility coming online.....Excuse me if this doesn't fill me full of optimism, on who's running our transfer dealings.

Hasn't any experience of the job he is trying to do which is why he is making a lash up of it, signing old bangers on loan, useless Spaniards whilst failing to get a decent striker in to replace Barnes.

Pardon me if I don't join the BERK love in

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The October 19th show is quite enlightening [MENTION=11697]kevtherev[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION]

http://www.albionroar.co.uk/archive.php

Have a listen if you've got a bit of spare time, at least you'll get an idea of the process. Knowledge is power after all.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
From what I've read about Burke. He had a year and a half at Saints, before the new regime came in. Before that he had 10mths at Man City identifying 15-21yr olds, before the big money came in and before that 2yrs at Fulham working with kids as well. Now he is our director of football. In a new £100m stadium and a state of the art training facility coming online.....Excuse me if this doesn't fill me full of optimism, on who's running our transfer dealings.......David Burke is to Oscar Garcia in terms of football, is what Ronald McDonald is to Jamie Oliver in term of healthy eating.

But he obviously filled Tony Bloom with optimism, who is probably a slightly better judge of character, and a slightly better businessman than you

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I understand the idea behind the role. However, I just think that if a club is going to be really sucessful then the manager needs to be, and also wants to be, pulling the strings on player recruitment. I can't think of any of the great club managers who has had, or who has needed a director of football. Can you imagine SAF or Mourinho being given a player rather that finding the prospect them self. I know it is not them on the scouting missions but they instigate it all.

Shchevenko.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
But he obviously filled Tony Bloom with optimism, who is probably a slightly better judge of character, and a slightly better businessman than you

Tony Bloom wouldn't be the first ultra successful multi millionaire businessman, who made rash decisions where football clubs are concerned. That is in no way a dig at our chairman. It is merely a statement of fact....Fact is the jury is out on this whole director of football stuff. But one thing I do know, is we are far worse off now than we were 7 weeks ago, in terms of our squad quality, and no I wasn't a Barnes fan. But he was a bloody sight better that Obika & Rodney. I mean who identified those two??? Burke/Garcia/Barber/Jones??? Or a combination of all of them.....Like I have said before, too many chefs.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I dont disagree that Barnes was better than Obika (who is on loan) and Rodney, but Ashley wouldnt agree the deal he was offered, and chose a 3.5 yr contract at Burnley. Is that Burkes fault?
Obika, I would imagine was Nathen Jones's input, he had him at Yeovil and had Charlton connections, and Rodney was probably approved by Oscar with his Spanish heritage. To be fair, since he has been here, he has been played out of position, so the jury is still out on him. Plus he is only on a short term deal till the end of the season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Excuse me if this doesn't fill me full of optimism

judging by most of your posts, i don't think you've ever experienced 'optimism'.

Fact is the jury is out on this whole director of football stuff.

No, its your opinion. Terribly large difference there. Sorry to disappoint.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
judging by most of your posts, i don't think you've ever experienced 'optimism'.

No, its your opinion. Terribly large difference there. Sorry to disappoint.

Ok, so if the jury is not out. Am I to take it most people think this whole David Burke situation is a success??? If so I must have missed something.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ok, so if the jury is not out. Am I to take it most people think this whole David Burke situation is a success??? If so I must have missed something.

No, but when has a selection of opinions ever constituted fact? What defines success and failure? To some, selling Barnes was a success. To others, losing him was. To others keeping Ulloa & Buckley was a success...they're all opinions. So yes, you did miss something. Those things being 'other peoples opinions'.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I dont disagree that Barnes was better than Obika (who is on loan) and Rodney, but Ashley wouldnt agree the deal he was offered, and chose a 3.5 yr contract at Burnley. Is that Burkes fault?
Obika, I would imagine was Nathen Jones's input, he had him at Yeovil and had Charlton connections, and Rodney was probably approved by Oscar with his Spanish heritage. To be fair, since he has been here, he has been played out of position, so the jury is still out on him. Plus he is only on a short term deal till the end of the season.

But that's the point. A short term loan is ideal, nothing wrong with that. But get someone who is going to make a difference, not someone who on the face of it, so far has added nothing what so ever to the side.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Why do you want to give the job of player acquisition and talent-spotting to someone with no experience of player acquistion or talent-spotting, and with no time to involve themselves in player acquisition or talent-spotting, over someone with a wide range of experience in player acquisition and talent-spotting?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Why do you want to give the job of player acquisition and talent-spotting to someone with no experience of player acquistion or talent-spotting, and with no time to involve themselves in player acquisition or talent-spotting, over someone with a wide range of experience in player acquisition and talent-spotting?

Like David Burke you mean? Who has no or very little experience of player recruitment over the age of 21....Most of his career he has been a youth spotter of talent. Strikes me he is in over his head.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But that's the point. A short term loan is ideal, nothing wrong with that. But get someone who is going to make a difference, not someone who on the face of it, so far has added nothing what so ever to the side.

That's always a risk, isn't it? We've had players here whom have flourished, yet floundered elsewhere and vice-versa.

He's played a part in allowing us to field a full team and has played his part in a run of P8 W4 D1 L3. Some people seem to be getting a little carried away. He has played a peripheral role thus far. Is it because he is crap or is it because that what we need from him currently?

Who else was available to us?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's always a risk, isn't it? We've had players here whom have flourished, yet floundered elsewhere and vice-versa.

He's played a part in allowing us to field a full team and has played his part in a run of P8 W4 D1 L3. Some people seem to be getting a little carried away. He has played a peripheral role thus far. Is it because he is crap or is it because that what we need from him currently?

Who else was available to us?

It's only my opinion. But what Obika and Rodney have shown so far, we would have been better off saving the money and playing Dickenson and someone else from the dev squad. Let's face it they couldn't have contributed any less...I'm still hoping Rodney has got something and is taking time to adjust. But time is something, thats going to start running out very quickly, along with games from here on in.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Like David Burke you mean? Who has no or very little experience of player recruitment over the age of 21....Most of his career he has been a youth spotter of talent. Strikes me he is in over his head.

Apart from 19 months at Southampton, 10 months at Manchester City, 13 months at Fulham dealing with senior scouting networks across local, national and international leagues? You're being pretty selective with his CV. Do you mean the bloke who signed Leo Ulloa, PIG, Wayne Bridge, Matthew Upson, David Lopez, Andrea Orlandi, Bruno, Rohan Ince, Stephen Ward and so on...? Horribly out of his depth.

No-one's holding a gun to your head, but listen to the interview with him.

Plus... you didn't answer my question. Why do you want to give the job to someone who has no experience nor time to do the enormous job done by David Burke?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here