Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I underestimated CH?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not quite in the CH is great camp just yet.... maybe a bit harsh of me, although he clearly knows what he is doing.

And the capture of Kayal certainly shows he can spot a player.

Its all going to be about player recruitment over the summer and specifically 2 strikers that can score 30 goals between them that will make or break him.

I have to say I wasnt over whelmed with his appointment, but hes doing a decent job of winning me around

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Whilst we have certainly improved since CH has taken over it hasn't felt to me as if we have been pulling up trees but......

Only 1 team has lost less matches than us in the last 10 (Norwich)
In a table of the last 10 matches we would be joint 7th (with B'muff, M'bro, Ipswich and Cardiff.)

Is the division so topsy turvy this season that 7th feels like under performing or is it just the stress of having spent so long looking at what's below us rather than looking up? Or maybe I am becoming an unrealistic fan?

Well done Chris, I am now looking forward to next season even more. :bhasign:

Yes there has obviously been an improvement, but looking at a table of the last 10 matches is a bit misleading.

In that time have played only one of the Top 7 (Derby), in a league dominated by those clubs.

The final 7 fixtures are much, much tougher. Still have to play Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and Middlesborough. I think these will be an excellent barometer of what we can expect next season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm not quite in the CH is great camp just yet.... maybe a bit harsh of me, although he clearly knows what he is doing.

And the capture of Kayal certainly shows he can spot a player.

Its all going to be about player recruitment over the summer and specifically 2 strikers that can score 30 goals between them that will make or break him.

I have to say I wasnt over whelmed with his appointment, but hes doing a decent job of winning me around

In what way aren't you sold on him at this point?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Yes there has obviously been an improvement, but looking at a table of the last 10 matches is a bit misleading.

In that time have played only one of the Top 7 (Derby), in a league dominated by those clubs.

The final 7 fixtures are much, much tougher. Still have to play Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and Middlesborough. I think these will be an excellent barometer of what we can expect next season.

You can always make these things fit your argument. Ipswich were top 2 I believe when we beat them. Leeds were one of the form sides in the league...

I don't think you can gauge next season until we know where the squad is and how many are likely to leave/stay and who those players are (and what money he is given to replace outgoings.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
In what way aren't you sold on him at this point?

Its a tricky one, and I cant really give you an answer.

As i say, once pre season is over he has had the opportunity to bring half a dozen players, specifically a couple of forwards then its hard to be critical.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

It does not work like that though does it. Look at our results against the teams in the top half.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
It does not work like that though does it. Look at our results against the teams in the top half.

Of course "it works like that".

The top teams are at the top because they are the best.

Saying "Look at our results against the teams in the top half." is a logic fail.

What is a better representation of how good a team is?

One match v a team which you play the best you play all season, against their worst performance of the season?

Or 39 matches?

Are you saying because Brighton beat Derby and Ipswich, Brighton are a better team than them?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
The only game that he has got wrong so far is Reading away.

His record in the Championship is second to none, so we should be optimistic about our prospects for next season.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
You can always make these things fit your argument. Ipswich were top 2 I believe when we beat them. Leeds were one of the form sides in the league...

I don't think you can gauge next season until we know where the squad is and how many are likely to leave/stay and who those players are (and what money he is given to replace outgoings.

So, because Brighton beat Ipswich and Derby, does that make Brighton a better team than both of them?

I prefer the evidence of a whole season than one indivual match to decide who is better.

Over 39 games Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and Boro have proved themselves as amaong the elite teams in this division.

If Brighton get, say 6 points from those 4 games, I will agree the improvement looks concrete.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think I'm right in saying that of all the teams we've played in the league this season only one has beaten us by an aggregate goal difference of more than one goal and that's Brentford where the difference is 2 goals up in their favour …………..and of course we beat them 2-0 in the cup. Let's enjoy the Spring.

kjgood

With basically the same players that Sami had at his disposal, we are slowly moving away from the bottom of the table. Although still no-where near being anything like world beaters we are starting to look safe. When CH was announced as the new manager I was fairly happy with the appointment, now I think right guy, right time.

It does make a change to have someone in charge who can organise a team and make changes on the fly that have an effect as the game progresses. Its also nice to have someone who can present himself in the right manner and can fully explain things on TV in a clear and understandable manner.

At the moment i'm in the 'I like CH camp'. Really hope i'm still in that camp this time next season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
So, because Brighton beat Ipswich and Derby, does that make Brighton a better team than both of them?

I prefer the evidence of a whole season than one indivual match to decide who is better.

Over 39 games Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford and Boro have proved themselves as amaong the elite teams in this division.

If Brighton get, say 6 points from those 4 games, I will agree the improvement looks concrete.

The whole season? What are you babbling on about? This thread is about the games since CH came in. When I quoted you it was in regards to a discussion point you made about how we have progressed over the last 10 games and that that would have us as 7th in the current form table. My point is that we have played teams that, in those 10 games and at the time, have been either equally in form or high up the table and we have beaten them or got decent results generally. The results haven't been perfect but they have been a massive improvement and I would argue, as I'm sure anyone that has been to games and knows anything about football would, that said improvement is down to the management of CH.

Your latest point seems to now be comparing our squad to top 6 sides but that is an entirely different point altogether (and no, we don't have a squad that is even close to top 6 level at the moment and we would need significant investment to get a squad near the level of the teams you have mentioned). What is clear though is that CH has drastically improved us as a side and is capable of getting a lot out of the players we currently have and, given funds to sign his own players, you would imagine he would be able to improve us even further with a summer window to bed his own signings in. That may then give us a chance to beat that level of side more consistently next year.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I think if you're looking for widespread changes your going to be disappointed.

An astute manager with a settled side and a new player or 2 who can put the ball in the net will change things around. Like Bournemouth and Brentford have achieved with lots of League 1 players.

I think there is some sense in this even though we need more than this.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I posted this elsewhere but here's some more thoughts as to CH/Jones/Calderwood's progress post Hyypia.

Under Hyypia we had a rather miserable 19 points from 22 games and were rooted in the bottom three, 4 points from safety behind Millwall in 20th. http://www.statto.com/football/stats...ble/2014-12-20
SH's record...
LLWWDLLDDDDLDDLWDDLLLD

Under Hughton/Jones though we've won 26 points from 17 league games.
DWWLWLLDDWWLWLDDW
The fun bit...
Hyypia's form for bhafc works out at about 39 points over a 46 game season which would have been us in the bottom 3, probably the bottom 2.
Hughton/Jones would actually leave us with 70 points over a 46 game season. Thats nearly enough for top 6 most seasons (but probably not this one!)

The controversial bit. He's done most of that with almost the same squad. (Hyypia had Crofts, Bent, Bennett for a bit. Hughton of course has had Kayal, Stephens, Best and more of Halford.) but then Hyypia would have had signings in January, possibly similar, if he'd stayed.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am glad to see I am not the only one feeling that way.. Getting results - just not too exciting. Still can't have everything.

the home matches against Arsenal, Birmingham, Leeds, Derby, Forest and Ipswich in recent months have been some of the most entertaining/exciting matches we've seen at the Amex over the last four years.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
the home matches against Arsenal, Birmingham, Leeds, Derby, Forest and Ipswich in recent months have been some of the most entertaining/exciting matches we've seen at the Amex over the last four years.

But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here