Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thumbs Up/Down

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
After a week of thumbs up/down, let's try just thumbs up.

biz-woman-thumbs-down.jpg

Where did you move back to in the end ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But you don't have to agree with a post to like it. How about a well-articulated post with a viewpoint that's different from your own?

If it's a fair comment I won't dislike or like. I'm not going to spend all day rating every single post but if I notice stand out good or idiotic comments a thumbs up or thumbs down is less time consuming especially if others have already written something making a point I would have made anyway.

I will always welcome a good debate with different viewpoints.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
:lolol: Stalking you? :dunce:

No it's just you posted a series of shit posts and I gave them all a thumbs down.

??? Just like you did with my Michael Schumacher comment yesterday when all I said was "I was shocked"

You were also one of the ones slating the thumbs system, yet you were using it the most, along with Tit anic :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Will we get a week of thumbs down only?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The problem at the moment is that this looks it means someone's post has 1 thumb down:

thumbsup.png

Whereas someone has just thumbed it up.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It only looks like that to you, everyone else see's the green thing.

Maybe there is a case for having it a darker green if you've given it a thumb up, rather than a red thumb down.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
??? Just like you did with my Michael Schumacher comment yesterday when all I said was "I was shocked"

You were also one of the ones slating the thumbs system, yet you were using it the most, along with Tit anic :lolol:

Delusions of grandeur going on here.

Maybe there is a case for having it a darker green if you've given it a thumb up, rather than a red thumb down.

I'm not sure what is so difficult about you, and only you, seeing it as red. It just means you've already given it a thumb up and the only option available to you is to then give it a thumb down.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm not sure what is so difficult about you, and only you, seeing it as red. It just means you've already given it a thumb up and the only option available to you is to then give it a thumb down.

Because it can give the impression you've somehow given someone a thumb down, when you've given them a thumb up. Without asking, it's not clear what you are seeing isn't the same as what everyone else is see either. Hence the frequent questions on NSC from users about why their posts are greyed out as far as thumb ratings go.

Anything that makes things clearer is surely a good thing? It only requires a change of colour and flipping a thumb down by 180 degrees.

Facebook sussed it out with "Like', 'Liked' and 'Unlike' and clearly separating the current score, and the button/link to change your personal indication.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Because it can give the impression you've somehow given someone a thumb down, when you've given them a thumb up. Without asking, it's not clear what you are seeing isn't the same as what everyone else is see either. Hence the frequent questions on NSC from users about why their posts are greyed out as far as thumb ratings go.

Anything that makes things clearer is surely a good thing? It only requires a change of colour and flipping a thumb down by 180 degrees.

The modification I've applied is as supplied.

Facebook sussed it out with "Like', 'Liked' and 'Unlike' and clearly separating the current score, and the button/link to change your personal indication.

But there isn't a thumb down option, so how would you have given it?

The ONLY way you can give a thumb down is when you've already given it a thumb up hence why it's red.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
But there isn't a thumb down option, so how would you have given it?

The ONLY way you can give a thumb down is when you've already given it a thumb up hence why it's red.

That's exactly my point. The introduction of a thumbs down graphic is confusing, providing the potential to think 'How the hell did I manage to give him/her a thumb down?'

Even if you are unliking a post, and you want the thumb to symbolise a functionality of a link rather than a current rating of a post, a thumb down graphic is misleading as it suggests you are giving it a thumbs down (dislike) rather than simply returning it to a neutral rating.

The Daily Mail website has it sussed with its hollowed green arrows (and filled in green arrow for when you've rated a post yourself):

Attachments

• ratings.png
    ratings.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But you don't have to agree with a post to like it. How about a well-articulated post with a viewpoint that's different from your own?

I'd make a post saying exactly that, rather than rely on a thumbs-up. To me, and I accept it's purely a personal comment, a thumbs-up = "This" or "That's funny". Any other nuance, and I'd post...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here