Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Our Group of Brighton Marathoners from NSC has risen to 15. Looking forward to the 6th Brighton Marathon.
For me it's all about getting round in under 4 hours, as I have ran the previous 5 Brighton marathons & it will be my 85th marathon.

2010 03:41
2011 03:50
2012 03:37
2013 03:38
2014 03:48

So what goals do you guys have, this year?

The crazzzzzeeeeeeeee 15 :ascarf:

back son
Bad Ash
big nuts
BillPotter
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Blobby
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Our Group of Brighton Marathoners from NSC has risen to 15. Looking forward to the 6th Brighton Marathon.
For me it's all about getting round in under 4 hours, as I have ran the previous 5 Brighton marathons & it will be my 85th marathon.

201003:41
201103:50
201203:37
201303:38
201403:48

back son
Bad Ash
big nuts
BillPotter
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Blobby
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

I'm aiming for 4.30. My best is 4.28 in my second Brighton one but blew up in London two years ago and did 4.55 so want to go out on a high!

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004

2010 03:41
2011 03:50
2012 03:37
2013 03:38
2014 03:48

back son
Bad Ash
big nuts
BillPotter
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Blobby
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Mine is finishing

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
My first one so aiming for 4hours 30mins but the ultimate aim is to finish! Training less than ideal, but fairly confident nonetheless

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mine is 3:30:00, that's my aim. I haven't run a marathon before, this will be my first and I strongly feel I can set a very quick benchmark.

If not, I'll be getting STAGECOACHED that evening!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My goal is to get to the starting line and nearly done that. Enjoyed the training. Now if a last minute cold crops up or it is the first Brighton marathon with crappy weather I can just go out and enjoy the day. So that's the stress taken out of the equation.

Sub 3:45 is the aim but I have a sneaky feeling I will be a minute out. Last year 3:50:50. Sub 4 hours will be gratefully accepted over a few pints on the seafront.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Mine is 3:30:00, that's my aim. I haven't run a marathon before, this will be my first and I strongly feel I can set a very quick benchmark.

If not, I'll be getting STAGECOACHED that evening!

2 years ago I ran it with my brother raising money for the good old Martletts who had just done a brilliant job caring for our Mum. I said to little brother (48 years old) that I would donate £500 personally to the Martletts if he got his predicted sub 3:30 in his first race over 10k as I believed he did not have a chance. He got 3:31:50 and was still spewing up sports drink when I finished half an hour later.
He got to King Alfred in under 3:05 last year, blew up collapsed, got up and finished in 3:28. However, much I admire the Martletts the £500 offer had been withdrawn. The moral being sub 3:30 is achievable. So good luck.
This year he has screwed his training and I may catch a glimpse of him......
Excuse my ignorance from age but would stagecoaching be a pub crawl? Won't you be doing that regardless of outcome?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
2 years ago I ran it with my brother raising money for the good old Martletts who had just done a brilliant job caring for our Mum. I said to little brother (48 years old) that I would donate £500 personally to the Martletts if he got his predicted sub 3:30 in his first race over 10k as I believed he did not have a chance. He got 3:31:50 and was still spewing up sports drink when I finished half an hour later.
He got to King Alfred in under 3:05 last year, blew up collapsed, got up and finished in 3:28. However, much I admire the Martletts the £500 offer had been withdrawn. The moral being sub 3:30 is achievable. So good luck.
This year he has screwed his training and I may catch a glimpse of him......
Excuse my ignorance from age but would stagecoaching be a pub crawl? Won't you be doing that regardless of outcome?

That is a particularly good effort for a first run! I've put in a number of hours and a number of runs in preparation, so I feel in a pretty good position to take out the 3:30, but we'll see. Im running it for Mind UK and MacMillan - two very worthy causes, that'll keep me on the move until the end.

It was a nod to a joke by Michael McIntyre who said that any word can mean getting drunk. In this case, I chose to use stagecoaching - but the effect is the same!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
2012 - 4:20:00
2014 - 3:55:27

2015 - aim for 3:30 but I would be very happy with sub 3:45 and pleased with a pb.

Last one for me until I'm in my forties as I think I would rather concentrate on 10ks and half's to see how quick I can push myself.

As mentioned on the running thread I've only managed x2 17 miles and x1 17.5 so feel a little undercooked as I ran x2 18 and x2 20 last year. The only difference is my times at 10k and half have drastically improved and my long runs are a minute per mile quicker than last year.

I'm also far more relaxed this year as I worked myself into a sub 4 hour frenzy with sleepless nights as my brain was calculating splits etc....

I've also got the benefit of my last run being at 22-25 degrees this morning in Mexico so surely Brighton early April won't match those temperatures.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did a 45 minute spin class this morning, followed by a 10km cycle in the gym. I will aim for 15 miles tomorrow. Still aiming to break the 5 hour barrier this time.

My main aim is fund raising - I want to top £1,000 for the Martlets for this Marathon - just under £700 raised so far.

With my 3 marathons, various half marathons and a couple of walks I have raised to date over 5 years a total of £7,427 (£6,147 plus £1,280 gift aid) all for the Martlets - thanks to my very generous friends and family. My aim is to get this to £10k (but no more marathons after this - maybe a triathlon)

https://www.justgiving.com/MarkRaven2015

That was some hard run this morning, running from Marina to Shoreham arm - into that wind, at 10 minute per mile.
The return was somewhat quicker!
Just hope come marathon day the conditions are more favourable.

Long range forecast has marathon day of near perfect conditions, with a high of 9 & SE wind of 7km/h, sunshine & some clouds with a couple of showers later.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Was blowing a hoolie around West Hoathly this morning (and still is now but the wind has finally blown the rain away! ). Managed to blown around for 10 miles before I headed home! Off work Wednesday so planning another 10 miles then, and my final run will be 13 miles next Sunday.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
8 miles today around Worthing being buffeted by the wind, luckily my normal 'loop' is just over 4 miles so at least I alternate between wind behind / ahead.

4th Brighton Marathon this year, aiming for 4:30. PB is 4:59 that I did on the first one in 2010 but this year I've felt fitter, broken all my PBs and upped my stamina so I'm confident. Still built for comfort over speed though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did my knee at Hastings 2 weeks ago. fixed in 4 days. Then an inner thigh strain a week ago. In my efforts to stretch it out I did my back in. Did Sunday's 16 miler with it and on Monday it had tightened so much I could not walk. Went back to sports injury magical healer and left feeling as if he had kicked me in the spine with a steel toe capped Dr Marten. 2 days of intense pain. Eased yesterday and Did a gentle 4 miler. Off to Hove Parkrun now to run at marathon pace and then should be back on track.

Glad to have got the little niggles out the way!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here