Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A bloke I work with is doing a 50 mile Southdowns Way run, in a couple a weeks.

That's proper mentals.

I told him I expect his second marathon time to be quicker than the first, as it's shorter.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I've trained for 5 marathons but only run 4 as the NYC marathon was cancelled a couple of years ago.

2007 Berlin 3:20
2010 London 3:09
2011 Boston 3:20
2014 NYC 3:08 (PB at 46 years of age)

I'm aiming to complete the Major Series (Berlin, Boston, Chicago, London, NYC and Tokyo) within 2 years. Chicago in 2016 and Tokyo in 2017 hopefully.

Like many I was overweight (14.5 stone) and this was affecting my "active" lifestyle so I started running.

Can I ask what you weigh now?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

That's proper mentals.

I told him I expect his second marathon time to be quicker than the first, as it's shorter.

I'm doing this - it's on Sat 4th but think of it as more of a jog/walk than a run to be honest. Anyway, it's only a training run for the full SDW race (100 miles) in June......and yes, I am sh*tting myself (even though I did do London to Brighton a couple of years ago)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I ask what you weigh now?

Not sure at this exact moment but it varies between 11.5 and 12 stone. The former when I'm formerly training for something, the later when I'm just running for personal enjoyment. I'm 5' 10".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure at this exact moment but it varies between 11.5 and 12 stone. The former when I'm formerly training for something, the later when I'm just running for personal enjoyment. I'm 5' 10".

I'm about 12.5 stone now but had a very interesting discussion with my coach last week - he thinks losing 5-6k will trim a minute per mile off my speed. Looks like it's time to modify my intake a bit - if true that's quite startling when I look at say a marathon time. I'll keep you posted as he's going to get some data

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
One Marathon under my belt in a time of 3h46m which I was pretty happy with. The course was flat(ish) but it was April in Manchester and it belted it down all day.

I am seriously considering the Athens Marathon in November. Anyone run that one?

If I do run another, I'd like to go sub 3h30m...

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Four. Three London and one New York. PB was my final London, 4h15m. Disappointed at the time as I put in a load of work to try and go sub-4. Did Hastings half in 1h40-odd and managed to get a couple of 20-milers under my belt. Went through half-way bang on pace, felt great. Completely blew up at mile 22 and basically had to walk the rest. Was about four years ago and haven't done a meaningful run since. All about cycling now.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm doing this - it's on Sat 4th but think of it as more of a jog/walk than a run to be honest. Anyway, it's only a training run for the full SDW race (100 miles) in June......and yes, I am sh*tting myself (even though I did do London to Brighton a couple of years ago)

I did it last year, walking the uphills, running (slowly!) flat & downhills, finshed in 11hrs 5 minutes.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
I'm about 12.5 stone now but had a very interesting discussion with my coach last week - he thinks losing 5-6k will trim a minute per mile off my speed. Looks like it's time to modify my intake a bit - if true that's quite startling when I look at say a marathon time. I'll keep you posted as he's going to get some data

One second for each pound per mile which may not sound much but over 10k a loss of 10 lbs would amount to one minute as opposed to your coaches calculation which would be six minutes.Alongside proper training weight loss is the best way to improve your times, sadly it's why some runners especially girls can suffer from anorexia.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

That's proper mentals.

My brother, who no doubt dazzer6666 knows, is doing the Spartathlon in September. That's 246 km or 153 miles re-enacting the run that Pheidippides made from Sparta to Athens in 490 BC.

Repeat - that's 153 miles non-stop.

I'm equally immensely proud and worried for him. He's done a few +100 mile races before including a 24 hour event where they just ran around a 400m running track but this will be the longest he's ever done.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi,

There seems to be a lot of NSC runners who have ran marathons. It's got me thinking as to:

1/ How many people have ran at least 1 marathon in a competitive event only. For clarification a marathon is 26.2 miles.

2/ How many ultras have you done. An ultra is a competitive event, where the distance is a minimum of 26.2 miles.

3/ What was your fastest marathon, time, how old were you when you did it?

Perhaps we can have a sub forum for marathon running+

I am not intending to have a forum, of look at me, how fantastic I/you are, but a thread to help all marathon+ runners, whether a first timer or a series runner. Also not looking to split advice/help/comments on the main running thread either. Hope you get my drift.

1) Yes, three: London 2003 (4:36); Brighton 2013 (3:57); Brighton (4:59) – straight after a Triathlon.

2) None - yet. But looking at London to Brighton one day.

3) See above - and I was 35.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My brother, who no doubt dazzer6666 knows, is doing the Spartathlon in September. That's 246 km or 153 miles re-enacting the run that Pheidippides made from Sparta to Athens in 490 BC.

I'm equally immensely proud and worried for him. He's done a few +100 mile races before including a 24 hour event where they just ran around a 400m running track but this will be the longest he's ever done.

The Spartathlon really is mental from what i have seen and read about it. Not something I will ever do. Big respect (whether I know your brother or not !)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One second for each pound per mile which may not sound much but over 10k a loss of 10 lbs would amount to one minute as opposed to your coaches calculation which would be six minutes.Alongside proper training weight loss is the best way to improve your times, sadly it's why some runners especially girls can suffer from anorexia.

Bit of research indicates it might be more than that - particularly if otherwise fitness levels are quite high (eg higher than average VO2 max for example). Basic calculator here. be interested to see what I get back from the Uni lab (regardless, I'm a porker and need to shift a bit to get quicker)

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I've also heard this stated at 2 seconds per pound per mile
and 3 seconds per pound per mile.

Wow that to seems an incredible event. Not only the distance but to run that in a hot country. Good luck to him. Not for me!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Bit of research indicates it might be more than that - particularly if otherwise fitness levels are quite high (eg higher than average VO2 max for example). Basic calculator here. be interested to see what I get back from the Uni lab (regardless, I'm a porker and need to shift a bit to get quicker)

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

Did the calculator and and it was 1 min 30 secs on a weight loss of 4kgs reducing time from 32 mins 47secs to 31 min17secs, still seems a bit on the high side to me. If any NSC runners decided to slim down would be interesting to get some feedback.

Last edited:

It's OFFICIAL - NSC can put out a football team of Brighton Marathon Runners!

We may not win the league - but boy will we have some fun:

big nuts
dazzer6666
Driver8
El Presidente
ForestRowSeagull
Indiana Paul
knocky1
Mr Shaun 15
Ninja Elephant
Simgull
Steve Foster

Any reserves out there?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Hi,

There seems to be a lot of NSC runners who have ran marathons. It's got me thinking as to:

1/ How many people have ran at least 1 marathon in a competitive event only. For clarification a marathon is 26.2 miles.

2/ How many ultras have you done. An ultra is a competitive event, where the distance is a minimum of 26.2 miles.

3/ What was your fastest marathon, time, how old were you when you did it?

Perhaps we can have a sub forum for marathon running+

I am not intending to have a forum, of look at me, how fantastic I/you are, but a thread to help all marathon+ runners, whether a first timer or a series runner. Also not looking to split advice/help/comments on the main running thread either. Hope you get my drift.

1: 6
2: 1 SDW50 10hrs:20mins My aim is to get under 10hrs at this years NDW50.. i'll be happy with 09hrs 59.. need to reduce my snacking time at check points!
3: 3:43 38 My aim is to get a sub 3:30, not sure when though, need to enter a flat, mostly downhill, wind in the right direction, kinda race.

1: 6
2: 1 SDW50 10hrs:20mins My aim is to get under 10hrs at this years NDW50.. i'll be happy with 09hrs 59.. need to reduce my snacking time at check points!
3: 3:43 38 My aim is to get a sub 3:30, not sure when though, need to enter a flat, mostly downhill, wind in the right direction, kinda race.

On 31st August there is a Cakeathon marathon which i'll be running. Each loop you eat a cake, so you'll not lose any calories after the running loop.
Best of both worlds, lots of cake & a marathon to boot, but no net calories on the waistline :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here