Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how rich IS Bloom?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is fairly common knowledge that when DK took over his own personal wealth was about £2m and was insufficient to keep the club afloat. Due to finance we had to do a deal to come back to Brighton apart from the obvious wish to return. This was only made possible by a few men like Fatboy, Bill Brown Robbie Ragerrio (sp) etc putting in substantial amount but none actually putting in sufficient to gain control until TB came to the fore. DK was for want of another word the front man and may I add did a great job in the fight for Falmer but none of this would have been possible without many supporters, some very wealthy, putting in money.

When we first arrived at The Amex I was talking to a very high up man at The Albion and asked the question of TBs wealth and was told not too far behind Abramovich without the show and also that when placing in the foundations for the stadium they were sufficient to take another tier all round to make the capacity if needed 50k plus. I just put all that down to beer talking but often wonder. I am not sure whether or not that is b......t so have never mentioned it. It is possible that it was a fishing tale based on truth but exagerated each time it was told.

Facts:

Brighton and Hove Albion has won 10 trophies in total.

NONE of those trophies were won during the 70's and 80's.

THREE of those 10 were won during DK's reign, four if you include the 10/11 season.

It's your logic that is flawed, not mine - we may have been playing at a slightly higher level, but we were nowhere near as successful, we didn't bloody win anything!

Runners up at the daily express five a side nov79:thumbsup:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
UK
We've had a new stadium
Can't get much TV money as we are a boring team not worth showing on tv
We have brought around 11 players
4 managers in something like 4 seasons
AND being apparently bidding about £7million for an Argentinian striker

We always bemoan clubs for getting sold to billionaires but how rich are we?

WE ? ...... He's got loads, and we haven't. I'm glad he's well heeled, and if I was as well I'd surely invest .... okay I'd buy an away shirt :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Football is ALL about trophies. Success is all about, you know, winning things. Obviously.

Ha Ha! That is so strange from you, defender of the meek, spokesperson of the oppressed Arab world, and perennial whinger after the Labour lost democratically to the Tories. Remind me not to ever back the same horse as you, you would not know a winner if presented to you on a plate. I'm out before the thread gets derailed and I get kicked out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The richest clubs in England aren't worth including in this context. They essentially have GDPs behind them so aren't compariable. Of course how a single person gets to own wealth on that scale is up for debate. But it's a different sport fuelled by,well, fuels...! Excluding these, I'd say Tony is probably in the Premier of owners wealth leagues easily.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It is fairly common knowledge that when DK took over his own personal wealth was about £2m and was insufficient to keep the club afloat. Due to finance we had to do a deal to come back to Brighton apart from the obvious wish to return. This was only made possible by a few men like Fatboy, Bill Brown Robbie Ragerrio (sp) etc putting in substantial amount but none actually putting in sufficient to gain control until TB came to the fore. DK was for want of another word the front man and may I add did a great job in the fight for Falmer but none of this would have been possible without many supporters, some very wealthy, putting in money.

When we first arrived at The Amex I was talking to a very high up man at The Albion and asked the question of TBs wealth and was told not too far behind Abramovich without the show and also that when placing in the foundations for the stadium they were sufficient to take another tier all round to make the capacity if needed 50k plus. I just put all that down to beer talking but often wonder. I am not sure whether or not that is b......t so have never mentioned it. It is possible that it was a fishing tale based on truth but exagerated each time it was told.

In other words a longish post wasted? As for not to far behind Abramovitch ...erm :rolleyes:

albionite

May 20, 2009
Finishing mid-table in the top division for a few seasons in a row is a great achievement to you? You must be pissing yourself with envy at this amazing "success" of Palace right now then, or Millwalls "successful" defeat against Man Utd in the cup final several years back.

Football is ALL about trophies. Success is all about, you know, winning things. Obviously.

Finishing 10th in the premiership is a greater achievement than winning league 2. You're right in that you don't receive a shiny trophy, but it means you are the tenth best team in England, compared to what 40 something.

Apart from winning the championship, are next realistic target after that is finishing tenth in the prem, perhaps and fa cup win....Or would you prefer to go down and win league 2 again?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Lets just say I have always said if I won the lottery I would put some into BHA but to do that I would need to win the Euro Lottery of more than £100m or it wouldnt be noticed if it was only 2 or 3m.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I was once asked by somebody at the club if I could use my contacts within News International (as it was then) to find out whether he would be mentioned in the Sunday Times Rich List.

They were delighted to find out that he wouldn't. Seriously wealthy people are always happy to have their wealth underestimated or, even better, ignored, so TB must be happy most of the time. He seems to have managed consistently to avoid appearing on any list of this type - although I must point out that the ST list is highly unreliable, based largely on guesswork and partly put together by interns and work experience people.

You can choose not to be included if you so wish. They reach out to anyone who is likely to be included and it's a simple yes or no.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Finishing 10th in the premiership is a greater achievement than winning league 2. You're right in that you don't receive a shiny trophy, but it means you are the tenth best team in England, compared to what 40 something.

Apart from winning the championship, are next realistic target after that is finishing tenth in the prem, perhaps and fa cup win....Or would you prefer to go down and win league 2 again?
Great post, I was about to write something similar but you saved me the bother.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Finishing mid-table in the top division for a few seasons in a row is a great achievement to you? You must be pissing yourself with envy at this amazing "success" of Palace right now then, or Millwalls "successful" defeat against Man Utd in the cup final several years back.

i wouldn't swap those seasons in late 70s and early 80s for any lower division title - that was our most successful period without doubt.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this issue has been covered before and it will continue to be covered until there is some sort of credible answer. i recall once some posited that he is fronting a consortium of Arab investors. thats pretty damn far fetched but frankly just as credible as posters who chip in with a wink and " i know he's worth x", its just speculation. its odd in the football community where we are ready to post rumours of players joining, that no one has been able to point to a few companies or operations out there that people can say "thats Bloom's".

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
'It must also be noted that every transfer deal is 'undisclosed fee' so obviously he likes to deal secretly without showing his wealth.to all in sundry.

I would love my bank statement to show 2 less 0 than his at the end of the balance figure.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Rose-tinted spectacles; nothing is wrong with fondly remembering some great years in the upper echelons of the football pyramid, but I think you are confusing it with success.

This is what success looks like:

MickyAdams_468x344.jpg

division-3-winners-2001-3999985.jpg

albion820h.jpg

970392-brighton-hove-albion-manager-peter-taylor-lifts-gettyimages.jpg

brighton-and-hove-albion-football-supporters-cheer-the-team-during-C3TE19.jpg

danny-cullip-lifts-the-play-off-trophy-at-the-milennium-stadium-363648.jpg

Gordon+Greer+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Huddersfield+o9FF9aW8Xk2l.jpg
Relative success does look like that.

BUT, ask any player (or most fans). Win the 4th division title or get promotion in 2nd place to the top tier?

I wonder how many would chose your criteria for success?

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
May be just me but I find open discussion of TBs possible wealth on this forum a bit distasteful. He's evidently a very astute businessman who can afford to do what he is doing and unlikely to leave himself destitute doing it, and has the club's best interests at heart. That's enough for me.

As regards secrecy surrounding any numbers, this is entirely normal with the super-rich. It's not that difficult to achieve.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Rose-tinted spectacles; nothing is wrong with fondly remembering some great years in the upper echelons of the football pyramid, but I think you are confusing it with success.

This is what success looks like:

MickyAdams_468x344.jpg

division-3-winners-2001-3999985.jpg

albion820h.jpg

970392-brighton-hove-albion-manager-peter-taylor-lifts-gettyimages.jpg

brighton-and-hove-albion-football-supporters-cheer-the-team-during-C3TE19.jpg

danny-cullip-lifts-the-play-off-trophy-at-the-milennium-stadium-363648.jpg

Gordon+Greer+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Huddersfield+o9FF9aW8Xk2l.jpg

no its not. its pissing about in the lower leagues. are you one of those fans who would rather we didn't get into the premiership?

being the tenth (or whatever) best team in the country whilst being in the top division is more successful than winning the league 1 title. if you are right why doesn't TB just keep the team messing about between league 1 and 2 winning titles and the johnsons paint trophy?

I know from all the other nonsense you spout on this forum that you are deluded, but this takes the biscuit.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Odd for a binfest on the relative merits of two of our most succesful periods. there is no need to rank them. They were both great, i was there for both. Wouldn't trade one for the other or rank them, both make the club what it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here