Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just how rich IS Bloom?

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
Incidentally BHA wouldnt have folded there was at least 3 consortiums in negotiations with Archer to buy the club but DK was the most acceptable to the owners, obviously gave them best returns. What followed is now history, onwards and upwards.

One was a complete tit with no money who worked in insurance dick was always the best option the rest is history as you say

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
PS: Hi El P Doesn't the new "relaxed" FFP - £39m losses - regime come in next season - ie: 16/17. ?

It does but there are transitional rules for 2015/16 that allow a £13m loss until the new rules kick in to coincide with the new PL TV deal next season.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Rose-tinted spectacles; nothing is wrong with fondly remembering some great years in the upper echelons of the football pyramid, but I think you are confusing it with success.

This is what success looks like:

MickyAdams_468x344.jpg

division-3-winners-2001-3999985.jpg

albion820h.jpg

970392-brighton-hove-albion-manager-peter-taylor-lifts-gettyimages.jpg

brighton-and-hove-albion-football-supporters-cheer-the-team-during-C3TE19.jpg

danny-cullip-lifts-the-play-off-trophy-at-the-milennium-stadium-363648.jpg

Gordon+Greer+Brighton+Hove+Albion+v+Huddersfield+o9FF9aW8Xk2l.jpg

Jesus, you are thick! Maybe your problem is that you weren't around during the 70s and 80s but that still doesn't change the fact that almost everyone, apart from you, would see playing in the premier league as being more successful than winning League 2.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Facts:

Brighton and Hove Albion has won 10 trophies in total.

NONE of those trophies were won during the 70's and 80's.

THREE of those 10 were won during DK's reign, four if you include the 10/11 season.

It's your logic that is flawed, not mine - we may have been playing at a slightly higher level, but we were nowhere near as successful, we didn't bloody win anything!
So a team that yo-yos between League 1 and League 2, winning a trophy every 2 years, is more successful than a team that keeps finishing mid table in the PL?

No.

If that's the sort of success you want, surely we should have tried to get relegated last season, then we'd be sure of silverware this season.

When we first arrived at The Amex I was talking to a very high up man at The Albion and asked the question of TBs wealth and was told not too far behind Abramovich without the show and also that when placing in the foundations for the stadium they were sufficient to take another tier all round to make the capacity if needed 50k plus. I just put all that down to beer talking but often wonder. I am not sure whether or not that is b......t so have never mentioned it.
I'm impressed BG. More of the same please.

Finishing 10th in the premiership is a greater achievement than winning league 2. You're right in that you don't receive a shiny trophy, but it means you are the tenth best team in England, compared to what 40 something.
60 something?

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the thread subject, well before TB showed his hand as an Albion investor I was told by an ex-player and poker player that "There's some big money behind your club. You won't believe how big."

As regards whether he'd ever pull his money out, as has been said - he's a fan. Why would he?

Re: the Dick Knight situation, Liam Brady credits DK with saving the club and TB for making what it is today. There's a man whose opinion is worth respecting.

Success? The evening in 1981 when we beat Wolves at Molineux to go fifth in the old first division surely beats any play-off final victory or promotion, although at the time I think many people had been so spoiled by years of good players and great results that they didn't appreciate it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks, that's makes sense to me and was what I understood. I don't get why people (well Ernest in this instance!) want to put down DK with cheap shots when he is a key part of our history

Ernest has been making this 'joke' on here for years. It is one of a small number of 'jokes' he makes regularly.

It's very funny

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Re: the Dick Knight situation, Liam Brady credits DK with saving the club and TB for making what it is today. There's a man whose opinion is worth respecting.

That's the truth of it, and both deserve our respect and thanks. There are some who are so biased, they think that money is the be all and end all.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I think that to consider being in the top flight is automatically more successful than anything lower takes away the romance of the game.
What would give the most euphoria or feeling of 'we're ****ing brilliant', winning league one or finishing mid table in the premier league?

Martin Perry dealt with the falmer planning while dick smoked his pipe:wink:
Who do you think funded the planning process of falmer?
You'll find it was within the final debts paid by bloom...I know you worship knight and are a great servant as a fan,but bloom deserves more credit than you give him.

You are understating the role of Dick Knight in achieving the outcome of the planning process. Martin Perry undoubtedly led on the technical stuff, but Dick Knight's contribution to the political stuff was immense. Even the Blooms acknowledge that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think that to consider being in the top flight is automatically more successful than anything lower takes away the romance of the game.
What would give the most euphoria or feeling of 'we're ****ing brilliant', winning league one or finishing mid table in the premier league?

Don't get me wrong, winning trophies (and finishing above Southampton in that case) is fantastic, but in my opinion being ****ing brilliant in League One isn't as much of an achievement as finishing in the top half of the top division and playing in Europe (which Southampton went on to do, annoyingly).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Relative success does look like that.

BUT, ask any player (or most fans). Win the 4th division title or get promotion in 2nd place to the top tier?

I wonder how many would chose your criteria for success?

I wonder too, we all define success differently.

It is an interesting trait of NSC that we choose to ignore the main thrust of an argument and instead focus on a minor point that may be contentious.

Not suggesting you have done this, just making an observation about our desire for the binfest.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Odd for a binfest on the relative merits of two of our most succesful periods. there is no need to rank them. They were both great, i was there for both. Wouldn't trade one for the other or rank them, both make the club what it is.

Can't have shades of grey on NSC. Its one or the other on here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder too, we all define success differently.

It is an interesting trait of NSC that we choose to ignore the main thrust of an argument and instead focus on a minor point that may be contentious.

Not suggesting you have done this, just making an observation about our desire for the binfest.
Speaking for myself, I was interested in the thread, but had nothing useful to contribute. I couldn't resist the side issue as you say. I personally don't like the premier league but accept that reaching it would be a huge measure of our success, not winning the league 1 title, which incidentally, I am actually very proud of.

NSC going off in a tangent is most often very enjoyable. [emoji106]

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Speaking for myself, I was interested in the thread, but had nothing useful to contribute. I couldn't resist the side issue as you say. I personally don't like the premier league but accept that reaching it would be a huge measure of our success, not winning the league 1 title, which incidentally I am actually very proud of.

NSC going off in a tangent is most often very enjoyable. [emoji106]

FWIW I agree. I am not sure I want to rank the two periods of success as they were very different. The over spending to achieve the first was instrumental in causing the clubs near demise (which with hindsight sours it a little). The other was achieved after the clubs near demise and on a goest ring it was entirely unexpected after so many years wondering if we would even have a club.

Yep NSC at its best,

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In the 67th minute in the upper tier of the away end at Portland Road yesterday I got very excited.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Only dipped in and out this thread but Bloom is clearly worth a hell of a lot and, despite some of the posts on here saying otherwise, this can easily be kept pretty secret. There are countless offshore trusts, brass plate companies etc behind a lot unknown wealth in the UK.

What interests me is how and when he made it. The money he got for premierbet was substantial, but similar to Joe Lewis when he sold his bookies, not reflective of the wealth he has now. My guess is through undisclosed venture capital investments.

But a pure guess on my part!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here