Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Crystal Palace are definitely staying up. Definitely.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I remember posting back in March that Poyet would go whether we were promoted or not. I was shouted down, abused and asked for proof. The outcome was as I had stated and Poyet went. Likewise here I am now asked for documentary proof from people I don't know, about something that took place over 20 years ago. Hold on i'll just go to my filing cabinet and get the evidence out, as I am sure you will have access to the documentation that states every creditor was paid. I didn't make the original post, I just answered it. Its a chat forum, don't get so serious and as for shutting up its discussions like this that make the forum interesting.

Fair enough, just proof to back up your assumptions would suffice.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
As a Brighton fan I produced the documented proof of the list of Creditors Palace failed to pay (all of them). So if you wish to make the same claim about one specific creditor the Albion didn't pay. All I am asking is you to do the same. But if you can't back it up and it is only hearsay be so kind as to say just that.

My friend its a chat forum and not a courtroom, we will agree to differ as I'm not as anal as to keep and have to hand records from a quarter of a century ago. As for someone who has records of what Palace have done I find rather strange. May I take this chance to wish you a Prosperous New Year and remind you that we both support the same team.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
My friend its a chat forum and not a courtroom, we will agree to differ as I'm not as anal as to keep and have to hand records from a quarter of a century ago. As for someone who has records of what Palace have done I find rather strange. May I take this chance to wish you a Prosperous New Year and remind you that we both support the same team.

In other words, just assumptions then.
Happy New Year to you as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In other words, just assumptions then.

It wasn't an assumption, it was clearly an assertion.

All of it is completely irrelevant with what this thread started about which is how annoying it is that Palace, who did appear to be dead and buried, seem to have a chance now. The *******s.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

Well as I have no doubt supported this team far longer than your good self, I do find it hard to take when I ask you about something I have understood to be the truth for many years, is now stated by you as a myth.
I know Mr Archer was not to be trusted but you did fail to answer my question when I asked if he was lying when he said that our beloved Goldstone was sold to pay ALL our debts. So pardon me if I ask for a little proof from someone who claims this not to be the case at all.

Oh and those records can be quickly found on the internet even by an OAP like me. IHTH.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

All of it is completely irrelevant with what this thread started about which is how annoying it is that Palace, who did appear to be dead and buried, seem to have a chance now. The *******s.

:) Apologies, i got my "sump" and "sert" mixed up. :)

Feb 14, 2010
10,000 at home? We were getting 17,000 at the end of last season and I think out lowest gate last year was just below 13,000. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

You also get higher attendances than us this year because your capacity is bigger. There have been a few games this year where we have sold out so fans that would have attended haven't been able to. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Was it the season before you got circa 10,000, either way, 10,000/13000 at home in the Championship and well we all know that your gates in the championship had to rely on groupon 2 for 1 deals and begging people to watch them for nothing. Palace and Brighton are just a different sort of support. Palace will scrape together a 25000 crowd made up of neutrals and big club fans in the home end when they play a club like Arsenal but Brighton will get a 27000 the week before Christmas against Barnsley. Its always been the same, Brighton in the lower leagues with a large support for its division. Palace, well they are the ultimate "flexible friends".

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Was it the season before you got circa 10,000, either way, 10,000/13000 at home in the Championship and well we all know that your gates in the championship had to rely on groupon 2 for 1 deals and begging people to watch them for nothing. Palace and Brighton are just a different sort of support. Palace will scrape together a 25000 crowd made up of neutrals and big club fans in the home end when they play a club like Arsenal but Brighton will get a 27000 the week before Christmas against Barnsley. Its always been the same, Brighton in the lower leagues with a large support for its division. Palace, well they are the ultimate "flexible friends".

Very nicely put... But look at the last 30 years of average attendance records and your above statement is based purely based on the last 3 years, so well put, but in reality it's bollocks!!!

Feb 14, 2010
Very nicely put... But look at the last 30 years of average attendance records and your above statement is based purely based on the last 3 years, so well put, but in reality it's bollocks!!!

Mate, we had 10 years without a ground and the fans were at war with the club for 5 years before that, but carry on. Bottom line is hat you need top flight football to get people through the door, we dont and never have as crowds like 34000 against Rochdale would show. Palace had to beg people to watch them in the championship with 2 for 1 deals, free tickets and still 13000 gates. Brighton get 27000 at home against Barnsley the week before Christmas. Palace and Brighton, we are just different, you are flexible friends, Brighton fought for its club (literally) and get big crowds for the division it is in and bigger than yours despite you being a division above.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Mate, we had 10 years without a ground and the fans were at war with the club for 5 years before that, but carry on. Bottom line is hat you need top flight football to get people through the door, we dont and never have as crowds like 34000 against Rochdale would show. Palace had to beg people to watch them in the championship with 2 for 1 deals, free tickets and still 13000 gates. Brighton get 27000 at home against Barnsley the week before Christmas. Palace and Brighton, we are just different, you are flexible friends, Brighton fought for its club (literally) and get big crowds for the division it is in and bigger than yours despite you being a division above.

TBF both clubs have history of good crowds in the lower divisions I have been in a 180000 crowd at selhurst playing Halifax on a Tuesday night back in the mid 70s.
Brighton get good crowds there is no denying that but the crowds palace get are pretty good too, watching Brighton on the telly the ground only looks 2 3rds full so the 270000 quoted is tickets sold and not bums on seats? Or is the Amex 340000 capacity now? That's a question not a dig BTW.

I do find these "we've have bigger crowds than you" type arguments get in the way of decent discussion don't you? Oh and hasn't it surprised all of us how well palace are doing at the moment!!

Feb 14, 2010
TBF both clubs have history of good crowds in the lower divisions I have been in a 180000 crowd at selhurst playing Halifax on a Tuesday night back in the mid 70s.
Brighton get good crowds there is no denying that but the crowds palace get are pretty good too, watching Brighton on the telly the ground only looks 2 3rds full so the 270000 quoted is tickets sold and not bums on seats? Or is the Amex 340000 capacity now? That's a question not a dig BTW.

I do find these "we've have bigger crowds than you" type arguments get in the way of decent discussion don't you? Oh and hasn't it surprised all of us how well palace are doing at the moment!!

All clubs are tickets sold which is how it should be, god knows what your gates in the championship if it wasnt. The new Goldstone as I call it is too small, only 30,000, a capacity smaller than the 34000 crowds against the likes of Darlington and Rochdale. I also think its a valid point to point out that the palace support went missing in action in the Championship but seem to turn up in the top flight. It shows what Brighton should be achieving, but never have. The only time we have ever punched above our weight was 1910 when Champions of England, other than that, Brighton have historically had top flight support despite a lower league side.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

You don't appear to have a coherent and accurate argument...our capacity is 30,750 at two thirds ie 66.6% you are saying our actual crowd is 20,500 rather than quoted crowd of 27,000...a disparity of approx 7,000.
Can you do any better.?..by the I am a trained accountant. ..not my balls are bigger than yours just a clear thinking head...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Brighton on the telly the ground only looks 2 3rds full so the 270000 quoted is tickets sold and not bums on seats?

The tv view may portray that impression but I don't believe it's an accurate one. For sure the crowd is less than announced but there is no way there are 7000 less in the ground than stated. The cameras show the areas of the ground with the biggest gaps I.e. the south where there's a gap between home and away fans and the east where mute tickets are available. The other parts look very full from the east where I sit.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
You spunked a fortune on average players and then released them on loan deals....then come after quality players Ulloa and Bridcutt who had the sense to remain at a Premier club in waiting...we'll pass you by in the summer hopefully for long enough fir you to realise your true place in the pecking order...then you may get another chance at top level if you can leave your crumbling shack. ..

Yes above you, but we already know that

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012

Here here . As always a intresting thread has been hijacked by the usual posters to post the usual boll ocks .

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
And they're back in the relegation zone again. Come on West Ham!

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
We're in different leagues and fair play to your promotion...but why keep gloating...it's been done to death...you must be retarded or 15...sorry to be cruel but this is a Brighton board. ..methinks bans may be in order...

Why because you are being shown up to be the most immature? you always go back to the fall back position of admins.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apologies answered wrong thread, however when the Goldstone was sold there were many creditors who were not paid. It may sound great to think that this last gasp gesture of selling the ground covered everything but it didn't and I know for sure about the large debt I referred to not being paid. The struggle continued from the day the ground was sold and became even more difficult, try running a business with no working capital, nothing to leverage money against, a stadium, and more money going out than coming in.

I've been re-reading Build A Bonfire and one reason the club had massive difficulties in keeping afloat was Stanley's £600k loan which paid out £381k in interest payments in 3 years as a quarterly payment was missed and very conveniently for Stanley invoked a £250k penalty charge.

From The Argus in May 2011 -
Our scoop that exposed the plot to sell the Goldstone Ground in 1995 sent shock waves throughout Sussex.

Our sensational front page splash on July 7 told how the club was plotting a ground-share with Portsmouth, and The Argus has remained steadfastly behind the bid to find the club a permanent home ever since.

Bill Archer, who was then Albion’s majority shareholder and became chairman less than two weeks later, said Albion would share Pompey’s Fratton Park while a 30,000-seat stadium was built at Waterhall.

A day after breaking the initial story, The Argus revealed that Brighton Council – as it was then – had already rejected the scheme.

A month later, we revealed Albion had sold the Goldstone to developer Chartwell for £7.4 million. After research by chief reporter Paul Bracchi and Albion fan Paul Samrah, The Argus also revealed Archer’s controlling shareholding had cost only £56.25, while Greg Stanley’s minority share was £43.75, a total of £100.

Other money injected by Archer and Stanley had been loaned with no personal risk while the value of the ground exceeded the club’s debts.

In another front page exclusive The Argus revealed a £600,000 loan from the Stanley Trust had clocked up £131,250 interest against the club in less than three years while Stanley was due a further £250,000 as Albion had failed to pay the interest on time.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Poo! West Ham 1 - 1 West Brom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here