Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please TB don't even think about appointing Jones

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why does a manager need to know about the players?. Most managers can can tell if they like a player or not after a week or so. Who is talking about a quick fix? Think you are just spouting shit for the sake of it. There's some good managers out of work right now. No need to take a risk with Jones.

This, with bells on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where did I accuse you of saying he was shit? I didn't. I think you will find that you jumped on a general comment of mine to another user, took it personally, and became defensive.

What I do disagree with you on is your saying that anyone who doesn't mind Jones taking over is clueless.

How about 'you lack judgement' WRT what type of manager (experienced) we need at this time, i.e. with the mess we are in thanks to appointing a poor and inexperienced manager?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Except we have the evidence that Jones choice of players is, at best, poor - see Obika.

And there is far, far more chance of an experienced manager hitting the ground running, and being able to quickly assess the squad he has and plug the oh so obvious gaps in it in January.

Dale Stephens?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I can't agree with you on the basis that Pulis took over at palace when they were rock bottom and with 3? Points yet he got them to mid table safely with immediate positive results.

Also, Neil Lennon went on an immediate winning streak when he took over at Bolton this season.

With the January window opening next week, an experienced manager would hit the ground running and identify what is needed quickly. The table looks bad but there are plenty of games left and as we all know in this league; 3 or 4 wins on the bounce will see you rapidly climb the table.

I believe we go back to basics, like we did in appointing Gus; appoint someone that Bloom trusts to 'run' the club and put his own plans into place, Pulis is the one. He took Stoke from near relegation to an established premier league team in a few seasons.

The style of football can also be 'directed' at him a little bit. Sam Allardyce has proven that experienced managers can change the way they play if they have the right type of players.

Brilliant post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
People have been crying out for Walton to play as experience is irrelevant and if he is good enough he is ready enough. Why does this not apply to Jones or any new manager? Double standards from a lot of people.

I think you will find the position of manager (of a relegation threatened team) is a little bit different to that of goalkeeper.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don’t think Pulis is in the right time of his career to get involved with a long term project. Neil Lennon is a good manager and taken.

If we look at Eddie Howe and Karl Robinson, both young, respected up and coming managers, and who both have a hands on approach with recruitment that works as well. If Nathan Jones can’t step up to the task and do the same now for us, he might as well seek a new career.

As I've said before, we need to deal with the short-term, i.e. the mess Sami (and Burke) have created. Pulis has shown he can be loyal (Stoke) anyway, so you appear to be talking nonsense yet again.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I cannot disagree with what you are saying, but I like the dark horse scenario and look to build from within. I just wouldn't write him off like some on here, not directed at you, you have given a balanced view.

Sniping again. You, on the other hand, have given an unbalanced view. Well done.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The longer Jones is caretaker the better his chance of getting the job - he does need to win tomorrow but if he does that and gets another game chance after that then I would say a win then he would be given the job.

I can't see Pulis being interested now - we have sunk too low

I can envisage Sherwood getting it now - the Barber link and the decks being cleared for what he has insisted of being given the job.

Hughton is a cheap easy option for the club this season so long as he doesn't take us down.

Unless the club have a wild card thats in the mould of Oscar or Hyppia again there isn't much else to pick from so maybe Rosler would have impressed or someone like Riga or Solskar if they wanted to fire up the fans

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'd imagine the main reason Robinson turned down the job is that he is already in employment and is managing a team currently chasing promotion to the Championship. He probably feels like he wants to see that job through rather than potentially go to a club that could swap places with the club he left behind were things to go wrong.

Pulis, Sherwood and Hughton are all currently out of work, so a position with a club that is in the second tier and that has made great progress in recent years, regardless of their current position, would be appealing to them. It boils down to timing because it would appear that 1 or 2 Premier League jobs may soon become vacant which may mean Pulis holds out for a job elsewhere. Against that, he may prefer to do a job where he can stay on the South Coast.

The future of Pulis, Sherwood and Houghton has nothing to do with timing, they are currently out of work millionaires and not anxious to take any job that comes along. The best they would get with us is survival, not appealing in anyway to these candidates. I'm not sure personally about Sherwood, he served only half a season as a caretaker manager and showed signs of being pressured at times, his price tag doesn't match his cv or record.

I feel Jones could take it on, but history at the Amex shows us that we may well have a wild card manager from abroard who has no experience of English football or the Championship. Its now time to have a strong character who knows what he wants and can communicate with his players.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Or Bloom has realised what has happened and sacks BERK on the back of it and will now SHELL out the funds for a decent manager and the quality players needed to fill the gaps

What decent players are going to come here as we sit second from bottom, as for the money, we all know the answer to that, The only players coming in will be firefighting signings, can't see anyone of any standing coming here in January. We have what we have and survival is the 'one ambition' this year.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Ridiculous to discount Jones on the basis of his work under Hyypia. He may have formulated lots of ideas and plans of his own that he's just bursting to put into place given the chance.

So where were these myriad of ideas shown against Reading then?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Amongst all the speculation and conjecture we need to view our club through the eyes of any prospective manager. They will all have their different motivations and reasons for wanting or not wanting to come to our club. So what would they see:

A team that has gone from 6th to 23rd in under half a season, demonstrating that something is very wrong at the club

Three managers exiting in just over 18 months

A fire sale of all valuable players in the early season

A team consisting of six loan players

No contracted striker in the first team

Contracted players who came to us during the close season on free transfers or out of contract players

One win in sixteen

A consistently stated aim from the club to adhere to FFP

A chairman who flies off to Australia when the club is in its worst position for three years

No funds available for new signings and potential signings turning us down

The real chance that we could be relegated, no manager would want that on his cv

The perception that the managers hands have been tied in the past regarding the selection of purchases and the team (ie loan deals where it is specified that a player must be selected}

Not a huge salary to go with the job

So would Pulis, Sherwood and Houghton want any of this? Clearly Robinson didn't, some on here are living in dreamland on the prospects of us landing a big name, coming here could ruin their careers, as Robinson has already decided.

Given all of the above Jones is an obvious choice.

Wow! Ignoring all the positives then!?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He won the league as the manager of the Charlton development team

LoL! So what? Not managed the first team anywhere then (apart from against Reading)?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sniping again. You, on the other hand, have given an unbalanced view. Well done.

Sniping? You are a fine one to talk. Your view on Jones is that you think he is a half ar5sed, nasty clueless w****r.

Do you not understand that if Jones left, the new manager wouldn't stand a chance. You just need to have a hate figure in your life and whether he stays at the club in some capacity or not, your view is well and truly screwed up your ar5e with a cork hammered in to keep it in place.

I don't have a problem with people not wanting him as the manager, but you are an abusive tw4t.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So I get & understand the argument why some people don't like Jones - which is his lack of experience. Strangely though, [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] has said he wants Sherwood instead. Those two arguments don't go together - Sherwood has had half a season in a totally different division.... hardly hugely experienced.

Personally, I would rather have Jones or Sherwood over Hughton, though I think Hughton would be fine. I just feel experience isn't everything

I think the key is the mess we are in. For me, this is what makes an experienced Championship manager such a vital criteria for our new manager. Hence my not wanting Jones (especially), Sherwood, or Robinson for that matter.

Pulis would be my top choice, but I would also be happy with Hughton (and a few others besides).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here