Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Who said 4 centre backs wasn't standard? I was talking about the quality that we possess hence the "embarrassment of riches" I'm still waiting for you to let me know has better options in the two aforementioned positions?

You called it an embarrassment of riches because we have 4 CB's.

Better quality ? I have already listed 3 clubs who's defenders have Premier league experience and so you could argue they are possibly better?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Think Daniel Ayala was the prime factor in Boro going up last season. It certainly wasn't their strikers. I thought Ayala looked different class in many of the games I saw them play. Similarly, Burnley had top class centre halves in Keane and the other bloke whose name escapes me.

Hopefully Duffy- who transparently is a classy centre half, despite a couple of ropey games this season (Dunk, Goldson, and latterly Gordon Greer have all had poor games for us without it making them crap players), can be that sort of man for us. I bet the fee isn't anywhere near what various media outlets are suggesting.

Welcome, and good luck, Shane. May Brighton & Hove Albion be the making of you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I may be in a minority of one here but I couldn't be much more disappointed if I tried.
From what I've seen of Duffy I really don't rate him above being a bang average championship defender.
Good with his head, but error prone and easily pulled out of position.
I'm glad we signed a CB but believe we could have done better, I know he's an international etc etc, but I couldn't care less about that, what I care about is Brighton and us not having defenders on the pitch that are likely to give the opposition chances and ultimately be blameworthy for goals every match. Colin Hawkins MK2.
God I hope I'm wrong. With that said, if he gets into the side, he will have my full support and I truly hope he can perform at a level that makes this post look incredibly silly.
Bet Blackburn are rubbing their hands and the rest of the promotion contenders are laughing their arses off at us.
Please please please prove me wrong Shane.

Isn't it depressing to have a manager here who so clearly has not got a CLUE about defenders. An utterly embarrassing signing, as you say. If only CH had your insight.

Oh well. The damage is done now I suppose.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't it depressing to have a manager here who so clearly has not got a CLUE about defenders. An utterly embarrassing signing, as you say. If only CH had your insight.

Oh well. The damage is done now I suppose.

I think the clue is in the line "from what I've seen of Duffy".

Which is quite clearly "fifteen seconds on SkySports News, two weeks ago, when Blackburn played Cardiff".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Which is quite clearly "fifteen seconds on SkySports News, two weeks ago, when Blackburn played Cardiff".

Are you sure ?

Apparently he's error prone and easily pulled out of position. That suggests to me that some proper BensGrandad-style in depth analysis as been done over a period of time by [MENTION=3653]lizard[/MENTION]. I'm not quite sure how our scouting staff and CH have failed to pick up on thise factors before blowing the thick end of £4m on this lemon, but I guess its too late now.

Oh well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That's right

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It should be known as doing a [MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION]
Except he didn't highlight part of his post in blue, mention Will Buckley's pace and then oranges are for sale in Tesco for a lot cheaper than they were last week. So clearly.

http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Highways/Road-safety/Traffic-schemes.aspx

I'd go 3-5-1-1 with Rohan Ince (walrus) as sweeper and Lua Lua (pineapple) behind Baldock (has two feet). Natural pace, long ball.

http://www.annsummers.com/

Something for the ladies, Anthony Dunk.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think Daniel Ayala was the prime factor in Boro going up last season. It certainly wasn't their strikers. I thought Ayala looked different class in many of the games I saw them play. Similarly, Burnley had top class centre halves in Keane and the other bloke whose name escapes me.

Hopefully Duffy- who transparently is a classy centre half, despite a couple of ropey games this season (Dunk, Goldson, and latterly Gordon Greer have all had poor games for us without it making them crap players), can be that sort of man for us. I bet the fee isn't anywhere near what various media outlets are suggesting.

Welcome, and good luck, Shane. May Brighton & Hove Albion be the making of you.

Ive been arguing for weeks, that it was conceding more goals than Boro or Burnley, which cost us last season.
Hopefully now with quality CBs, that defence has now been strengthened.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ive been arguing for weeks, that it was conceding more goals than Boro or Burnley, which cost us last season.
Hopefully now with quality CBs, that defence has now been strengthened.
The central defence looks much better as of now, but having only 3 first line fullbacks ( 1 injured today ) is still an issue that perhaps could be addressed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
1 good striker away from the perfect summer recruitment campaign (as long as no bugger goes !)

*edit* forgot fullback as mentioned above, It's just no-one ever mentions us being short of fullbacks :whistle:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Mixed feeling about this - I'm a big fan of Dunk, Goldson and BFG. I'd imagine that at least one of them will be frozen out now. Probably BFG is way down the list but don't forget he's a damn good defender.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Mixed feeling about this - I'm a big fan of Dunk, Goldson and BFG. I'd imagine that at least one of them will be frozen out now. Probably BFG is way down the list but don't forget he's a damn good defender.

Was one of them "frozen" out last season when we had 4 defenders. Or were we relieved that we had Greer + 3 because we had injuries, suspension, changes in form.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
1 good striker away from the perfect summer recruitment campaign (as long as no bugger goes !)

*edit* forgot fullback as mentioned above, It's just no-one ever mentions us being short of fullbacks :whistle:

The young Canadian Adekugbe, has impressed me in the cup games, although lack of experience may be a factor. He's got more about him than Chicksen ever had.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The young Canadian Adekugbe, has impressed me in the cup games, although lack of experience may be a factor. He's got more about him than Chicksen ever had.

I always remember Chicksen defending manfully against 2 players, v Hull, while Kaz laid on the pitch, arms spread wide, 30 yards ahead of him.

Decent enough, wrong time to be at the Albion.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He tweeted that he picked up an injury last night. Unclear how serious.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Was one of them "frozen" out last season when we had 4 defenders. Or were we relieved that we had Greer + 3 because we had injuries, suspension, changes in form.

I doubt someone as accomplished as Uwe would be happy to go along with that. It could well mean no game time all season

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I think he's from Manchester. Not sure how he ended up playing in Canada.

edit: Just checked his wiki. The family moved to Canada when he was 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here