Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks for that as I said I was confused.

Slightly OT why do so many players now suffer with hamstring injuries? In my day you was told that they came as a result of not warming up properly and players didnt suffer with them so much or didnt appear to

I think all injuries are far more common now due to the fact that the players are playing far closer to their physical limits. With all the medical science now going into the game they are pushing their bodies constantly. When you see the players outside the Amex I am always struck by how skinny they are (even the 'big' ones).

I can't imagine Alan Duffy ever getting enough speed up to make his hamstring work, let alone do any damage to it :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Something else I've been thinking about with a full good quality squad.

I saw somewhere that the Brighton medical/fitness staff try to make sure the players are at peak fitness for the last third of the season. I'm no expert, but i would think that maintaing athletes at peak performance for more than a few weeks at a time would be very hard to do. I wonder if we plan that when we have 4 players fit and available for 2 positions, we keep 3 at or near peak fitness and have one in 'recovery' mode ready for the next period.

It would certainly make sense to plan cycles this way (when possible) given the amount of time and effort that is put into the performance side.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think all injuries are far more common now due to the fact that the players are playing far closer to their physical limits. With all the medical science now going into the game they are pushing their bodies constantly. When you see the players outside the Amex I am always struck by how skinny they are (even the 'big' ones).

I can't imagine Alan Duffy ever getting enough speed up to make his hamstring work, let alone do any damage to it :wink:

Skinny? Have you seen Kaz's calves?

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Would have rather the money gone towards the transfers of Matěj Vydra and Bradley Dack.
I think we had made a bad signing but if it had been on the cheap then ok but a record amount of money spent on a Centre Half who has played very badly so far this season does seem very odd.
Hope I am proved wrong.

It has to be said Duffy was awful on Saturday. The whole team was awful apart from Dunk and Bong. Duffy didn't seem to have any understanding with Bruno and his distribution was poor.
He should have been substituted but it would have destroyed his confidence. I just he proves me wrong but I think we have a made a big mistake with this signing.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It has to be said Duffy was awful on Saturday. The whole team was awful apart from Dunk and Bong. Duffy didn't seem to have any understanding with Bruno and his distribution was poor.
He should have been substituted but it would have destroyed his confidence. I just he proves me wrong but I think we have a made a big mistake with this signing.

I think its far too early to call it a big mistake.

It probably didn't help Duffy with Bruno having a nightmare game. Having said that I would bring Goldson back in if CH thinks that he is fit enough to start, and give Duffy more time on the training ground to get to know Bruno better!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think its far too early to call it a big mistake.

It probably didn't help Duffy with Bruno having a nightmare game. Having said that I would bring Goldson back in if CH thinks that he is fit enough to start, and give Duffy more time on the training ground to get to know Bruno better!

Surely, if fit, Dunk and Goldson are our number 1 choice are they not. I'm assuming Duffy has been bought to add depth to the back 4, but not as an automatic first choice.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can't help feeling Blackburn have done rather well out of this. They've got Greer, plus £4M in exchange for Duffy.

I know Greer is nearing, or getting past, his sell-by date, but we have a crop of young CBs (White and the Scottish lad (Hall?), and Tom Dallison still on our books) looking for a chance to do a Goldson, and I do wonder whether we would have been better off keeping GG (and the four million quid) for another season. Nothing against Duffy in particular, but I think £4m was well over the odds (I thought so on the time - see somewhere earlier on this thread) which does make it look a bit like a panic buy.

Just my own personal opinion, nothing more. If Duffy turns out to be a club legend in 5 or 10 year's time, I'll be happy to wipe egg off my face.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I had a hunch Duffy would prove to be a shìt signing. I know it's early doors, but the Blackburn season ticket holder I know says she would normally be delighted they got £4m for him (if she had any faith that money would be re-invested into the team).

I really wish we'd pushed the boat out on a striker and found the money to give Greer a one-year extension. He'd have been a more than adequate 4th choice centre back.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I had a hunch Duffy would prove to be a shìt signing. I know it's early doors, but the Blackburn season ticket holder I know says she would normally be delighted they got £4m for him (if she had any faith that money would be re-invested into the team).

I really wish we'd pushed the boat out on a striker and found the money to give Greer a one-year extension. He'd have been a more than adequate 4th choice centre back.

I had that thought across the weekend, Greer is not £4m worse than Duffy and would have done a job as fourth central defender and despite him slowing down has a lot of experience and awareness about him. More questions of our strategy, his signing was somewhat of a surprise, hope its not another O'Grady knee jerk signing.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Duffy was a bizarre signing - shelling out almost 4m for a CB that we didnt actually need when we have Goldson, Hunemeir, White and Hall as backup. I'll be amazed if CH drops him after spending that amount of money - the worrying thing is that Goldson will start to become disillusioned when he cant get a game - lets hope not

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I had that thought across the weekend, Greer is not £4m worse than Duffy and would have done a job as fourth central defender and despite him slowing down has a lot of experience and awareness about him. More questions of our strategy, his signing was somewhat of a surprise, hope its not another O'Grady knee jerk signing.

I've been staying this for ages. Greer as 4th choice is an excellent option. He would of done fine filling in, and Bruno wouldn't had to cover CB for a few games. Not to mention, 4M would still be in the bank for another transfer. Maybe Chris thinks Duffy will be second choice and Uwe and Goldson aren't going to be ready quickly enough?? Only explanation really. I can't see him brining in Duffy as 4th choice, it must be to push on in the first team and push Goldson to 3rd / 4th choice (which is a shame IMO). Duffy certainly doesn't look like that 4m player yet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which is absolutely batshit mental when you consider how much we paid for him.

Not if the club were putting together centre backs to stride manfully into the Premier League with.
It's just a shame it refuses to apply the same thinking up the other end of the pitch.

Any team with more centre backs than centre forwards is doing it wrong.

There's no way Duffy can be judged based on a couple of, granted poor, performances esp having played all Summer.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Duffy was a bizarre signing - shelling out almost 4m for a CB that we didnt actually need when we have Goldson, Hunemeir, White and Hall as backup. I'll be amazed if CH drops him after spending that amount of money - the worrying thing is that Goldson will start to become disillusioned when he cant get a game - lets hope not

Nail on head. More bizarre that someone as shrewd as Bloom sanctioned it, even after his two spectacular own goal games. Potentially one of the most bizarre signings/panic buys in our history for the price!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was less than inspired by Duffy on Saturday, but for all those saying that Greer would have been ideal as a 4th choice centreback (and he would) - maybe that just didn't suit Greer. At his stage of his career I expect he wants to be playing regularly, especially as he's got his place in the Scotland team to consider.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was less than inspired by Duffy on Saturday, but for all those saying that Greer would have been ideal as a 4th choice centreback (and he would) - maybe that just didn't suit Greer. At his stage of his career I expect he wants to be playing regularly, especially as he's got his place in the Scotland team to consider.
That's working well, eh? Couldn't even get a game against Malta..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here