Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No it is a gamble you could only take if you could afford to lose. As an aside would we be likely to fail FFP if we signed him and didn't go up?

Probably not. I'm more worried about the drastic affect on the rest of the squad given he'd be earning about 2.5 times anyone else in the squad.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Club claim failed to agree terms. Considering how much they are paying Downing, how much must Rhodes be asking for FFS? Pigs at the trough.

Sounds like the basic terms of taking on his blackburn contract were fine and its assorted add ons and guaranteed pay rises that messed it up

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I know this isn't Rhodes related, but what is it with Marathon bet. They are a Brighton based company who have been involved with sponsorship deals with various clubs, yet has been nowhere near us. Does anyone know why?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I know this isn't Rhodes related, but what is it with Marathon bet. They are a Brighton based company who have been involved with sponsorship deals with various clubs, yet has been nowhere near us. Does anyone know why?

Rival company to one of Blooms business interests?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Isn't this just a case of Steve Gibson's negotiating tactics? A deal between clubs doesn't have to be agreed before the player can undergo a medical and discuss personal terms, maybe the clubs were close enough that Blackburn were happy for Rhodes to talk to Middlesbrough, the terms between the player and club were agreed but there wasn't a deal between the clubs for the actual sale. Maybe Gibson thought that Blackburn would relent on the clauses/bonuses if the player himself had agreed terms and wanted the move? Maybe he thought he would have the upper hand in the negotiations but Blackburn dug in and didn't relent? Maybe now Gibson has decided to either try and force their hand by going public pulling out of the deal and if Blackburn want to make the deal happen they'll have to get closer to his demands, otherwise they're left without the £9million odd opening fee, and with a striker we all know wanted/wants to leave.

Whatever you think of the Venkys, they are certainly tough negotiators, and will wring all they can out of a buying club, as happened to us with Marshall. We heard he wanted to come to us, but they were sticking out for the £5 million. I was rather disappointed we didn't get him, as Murphy in my view is not up to his quality, but I think we've done considerably better with Knockaert, whether we paid £2 million, £2.6 million, or whatever we did pay.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Whatever you think of the Venkys, they are certainly tough negotiators, and will wring all they can out of a buying club, as happened to us with Marshall. We heard he wanted to come to us, but they were sticking out for the £5 million. I was rather disappointed we didn't get him, as Murphy in my view is not up to his quality, but I think we've done considerably better with Knockaert, whether we paid £2 million, £2.6 million, or whatever we did pay.

According to Naylor (yeah I know) we didn't pay anything like that for knockheart

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The deal will go through, this is just 11th hour negotiating.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What do you think? Some crap Twitter account with 1000 followers. I know you are one of the more optimistic people on here but come on....
I have no idea, could be true, I suppose, some accounts are more reliable than others. After having very sporadic internet all weekend, just looking to see if it's been mentioned elsewhere.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So, we've bid 10.5 million, apparantly.

True, or Not ? ??? ??? ???

Of course we have, Boro had a bid for 9 million accepted and then pulled out so TB rushed in with a bid of 10.5 million. What do you think the chances of that are?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, he doesn't fit 'the good financial investment' profile which we look for, so must be 100% made up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here