Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Evening gents, just a quick one, I need to replace me tyres I'm after some for the upcoming summer! Hahaha!!! Any advice?
I bought the slick version of these:-
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31765

Primarily because I've used them before and although nothing special they were good enough, esp for £10.
I was working on the theory that even if they did go 'off' quickly and need replacing, I was still playing £40 for 4 tyres instead of 1.
Although as they no longer seem available I might not have been so smart after all.

And that's why corner entry is so important. He'd lost it well before the apex.
Yep riding round a bend only on your front wheel can have that effect on cornering. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I pretty sure they don't make a blind bit of difference at the level I ride at. :D
All joking aside I wouldn't be so sure about that.

From right back in the day I still remember the ride difference when moving up from whatever entry tyres to proper tyres, probably Pro Race 3's.

I've never had that feeling since, as I've stayed within that price point, but the difference in handling, grip and speed from ok to decent was massive.

All joking aside I wouldn't be so sure about that.

From right back in the day I still remember the ride difference when moving up from whatever entry tyres to proper tyres, probably Pro Race 3's.

I've never had that feeling since, as I've stayed within that price point, but the difference in handling, grip and speed from ok to decent was massive.

Stat, I'm definitely looking at going from ok to decent. So should I be looking at tyres labelled "pro?"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat, I'm definitely looking at going from ok to decent. So should I be looking at tyres labelled "pro?"
What are you riding on, at the moment?

I'll hazard a guess here and say tyre choice generates the most brand loyalty from us people of the bike.
After a good set I'm loathed to move away from that when looking for replacements.
Get an early puncture that brand is dead to me.

I'm a bit down on tyres at the moment (so to speak) due to their cost.
Although either Wiggle currently have a sale on, or their discounts weren't available the last time I looked.

My tyre of choice was Michelin Pro Race - I've had 3's, 4's and Endurance.
But when I last looked they were £40 each (now £25 :angry: ) so I settled for

Pogue and another fella I know's favourite Vittoria Rubino Pro.
Phil swears by his Schwalbe One.
1066 was and probably still is keen on Vredestein, inflated to biblical levels.
Colin likes a red walled tyre - but that's just Col de Col - bless!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The point I was lining up to make [MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION], were it not for P's comedy stylings, is that his answer would have been blooming close to Phil's answer about the Schwalbe One, or Pogue talking about Rubino's, etc.

It's hard to pin down the best tyres and advise you because it's a personal taste.
I would be surprised if your current tyres are so good that you to don't notice a step up

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The point I was lining up to make [MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION], were it not for P's comedy stylings, is that his answer would have been blooming close to Phil's answer about the Schwalbe One, or Pogue talking about Rubino's, etc.

It's hard to pin down the best tyres and advise you because it's a personal taste.
I would be surprised if your current tyres are so good that you to don't notice a step up

Yes, this. Sorry I know tyre choice is a serious subject.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes, this. Sorry I know tyre choice is a serious subject.
If all of you were in a playground with Celeste you'd be pulling on her pigtails and running away.

You all loves Celeste but can't cope with the funny feelings she makes you have. :love: :lolol: :love:

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Perfect Father's Day - 80km in the sun with almost 1200m of climbing. Shame I went and spoiled it (and broke the rules) by going out for a run straight afterwards!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bad crash on the Excelsior ride today, RN (Strava NSC geeks) came off on a gravel and pot holed bend on a descent not far from Bolney, followed by our elder statesman Bob who couldn't avoid the crashed bike. Result: 1 x Pinnerallo Dogma snapped clean in two through both top & bottom tubes, beautiful Colnago chromed vintage Columbus frame cracked and bent both tubes. Bob was okay and went home, RN went to hospital with a serious gashed leg - best wishes RN, I moved your frame out of your eyeline as I'm sure seeing it wasn't going to make your leg feel any better!

Be careful people, those flash flood followed by a gorgeous summers day can deceive the best of us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bad crash on the Excelsior ride today, RN (Strava NSC geeks) came off on a gravel and pot holed bend on a descent not far from Bolney, followed by our elder statesman Bob who couldn't avoid the crashed bike. Result: 1 x Pinnerallo Dogma snapped clean in two through both top & bottom tubes, beautiful Colnago chromed vintage Columbus frame cracked and bent both tubes. Bob was okay and went home, RN went to hospital with a serious gashed leg - best wishes RN, I moved your frame out of your eyeline as I'm sure seeing it wasn't going to make your leg feel any better!

Be careful people, those flash flood followed by a gorgeous summers day can deceive the best of us.

Ouch an expensive off.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

All the best to both, especially RN who is proper athlete.

Oh, [MENTION=1277]joe[/MENTION] Precious, that was a 49.9 mile ride. You shoulld've gone round the block!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here