Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
Ooh, you tease.
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], you've gotta be pretty cool to have different wheels.

Went to pick it up but won't be delivered till Friday which I wasn't impressed with but can pick my cycling pedals and shorts free of charge.

Bit pricey for the bike, £3.5k but beautiful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well worth checking out Danny Van Poppel's bike handling skills through the last bend of today's Tour of Switzerland.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Have taken the opportunity of a week off work to get my suspension sorted, and today managed to get in a cracking ride around the back of the Deans & Newhaven inc. part of the SDW. Was a tough one at 22 miles with over 2100ft of climbing, but chuffed to bits to manage it after spinal surgery 2 yrs ago, & thinking I would never get back to that sort of level again. Legs are f***** now though!
PHP:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have taken the opportunity of a week off work to get my suspension sorted, and today managed to get in a cracking ride around the back of the Deans & Newhaven inc. part of the SDW. Was a tough one at 22 miles with over 2100ft of climbing, but chuffed to bits to manage it after spinal surgery 2 yrs ago, & thinking I would never get back to that sort of level again. Legs are f***** now though!
PHP:
Amen to that.

Well done.

Any news on the job interview with Decathlon?

Jimmy Grimble

As Moto says we're going to need a bit more, as at the moment it sounds like you'll be buying a garage warmer.

Budget?
How long is the commute?
On what terrain?
Will you be carrying stuff?
What sort of leisure use, popping to the pub or cycling just for the sake of it?
Do you have access to the 'cycle to work' scheme?

From what you've said so far, all I'd say is get a hybrid 'flat bar' bike which the wheels & tyres match the terrain you'll be riding, and don't be wowed by 'extras'.
With enough info we geeks can do better than that.

Apologies. I rushed this post the other night. Here's a bit more detail:

- As I'm new to this I don't wanna fork out too much so at most £300 really. I could possibly go a little higher though.

- Commute is approx 20 minutes, smooth roads but very hilly. I would probably use the bike once/twice a week for it.

- Leisure rides would be a mixture of down to the seafront or occasionally over to Stanmer Park. This would be on the odd weekend.

- I may have access to it, going to check now

Hopefully this is a bit more helpful! Thanks.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
For what you've described, you don't need to spend much. I reckon go for a second hand road bike JG. If you get the bug, you'll be able to push forward and then contemplate something a bit more adventurous. We've all been through through Stanmer, so you've no need for a flat bar.

Jimmy Grimble

For what you've described, you don't need to spend much. I reckon go for a second hand road bike JG. If you get the bug, you'll be able to push forward and then contemplate something a bit more adventurous. We've all been through through Stanmer, so you've no need for a flat bar.

Thanks.

Any advice for where to look for decent second hand ones?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

- As I'm new to this I don't wanna fork out too much so at most £300 really. I could possibly go a little higher though.

- Commute is approx 20 minutes, smooth roads but very hilly. I would probably use the bike once/twice a week for it.

- Leisure rides would be a mixture of down to the seafront or occasionally over to Stanmer Park. This would be on the odd weekend.

Agree with Moto, go secondhand (although this one looks almost brand new!)

If you're in Sussex and can collect, this would be the perfect beginners road bike. Cracking reviews time and time again.

Triple as well, so perfect for getting up those "very hilly" roads for a leisure cyclist like yourself.

This is a 54" frame so suitable for someone about medium height ( 5'6 - 5'9 approx). Unlucky if your a 6 footer or a real short arse - you'll need a different size.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Btwin-tri...277245?hash=item41ac75d37d:g:d3kAAOSwzJ5XXYVH

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unfortunately it offered nowhere near enough to make it worth my while with all the travel etc SB...only 19k per year for a managers role!! Shame, wouldve been in my element there...
That's a shame.
Gotta wonder about the calibre of the eventual placement.

The cycle to work scheme is great esp now that I think it's open to bike shops and not 2 separate schemes either Halfords or independent, but not both.

As for bikes much like The Beloved Leader who was here a few days ago asking about bikes, you're budget is just below the 'big boys' entry level price point.
That leave you with either the second hand market or something a little more 'rudimentary'
That's not meant to be completely dismissive and snobby it's just the drop off in kit and design will be more noticeable, and it's important to shop smart.

For example, this popped up while talking last week:-

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...AHHjOacr4UzQimzlakqT_7UznKmgxecoU0aAg118P8HAQ

It's a well regarded, award winning budget bike.

This is in my advert at the bottom of this page:-

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannond...=Display&utm_campaign=RON&utm_content=Product

Both review as great bikes, with a lot in common.
I'm sure after a test ride you'd be very happy with the B'Twin, but side by side testing you'd want the Cannondale.

So as usual I suggest you test ride a few bikes, you will definitely be able to feel differences in what look like identical bikes.
The changes in geometry really effect how a bike fits you.
It would seem Aluminium frame, carbon forks and Claris groupset is your benchmark.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Love the look of that vintage Peugeot...very tempted I have to say.

Watched the WToB last night - great to see so much cycling on TV these days with ITV4 covering the British scene as well as Eurosport with the big stuff.

I've been into Aaron's workshop quite a bit, he has loads of boxes of vintage parts, and once you get past his and his colleagues slightly dry demeanour, they're good passionate people about bikes. I think he takes a bit of pride in the bikes he builds, the only comment I'd have on the Peugeot is that with the black forks, chainset and saddle, reckon black bar tape would really finish that bike off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here