Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should it be compulsory to reverse into car park spaces?

mezanotti

Oct 22, 2013
If you work at a large oil refinery or petrochemical plant, reverse parking is compulsory, even in the external car parks on the outside of the fence.
With the state of alert in this country at the moment, this might be a prudent system in some large car parks.
Use the handrail and never ever ever use your mobile whilst in your car. After GoM this employer got serious with healh & safety.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
I can second that.

I worked for a couple of oil and gas companies in Aberdeen 3-4 years ago. Their health and safety policy invoked a rule ( along with a myriad of others) that specified reversing into parking spaces ( as opposed to reversing into other cars, parked or otherwise). This was obviously based on the statistics that reverse parking was safer - as was getting out of the parking space ( probably at a less leisurely pace at going-home time) when you were driving forward, with all it's inherent benefits of forward vision. Their safety statistics were paramount, so this was obviously a quick win.

Over twenty years ago I worked night-shift at an orange-hued and branded supermarket locally and worked on a couple of new store openings. The accident statistics involved with " parking" - if it can be called that - at these times of heightened consumer excitement were quite horrendous and are often repeated at peak shopping times, or when a certain segment of the driving population were at large ( see "Sundays" and "Christmas").

Since then I have always reverse-parked and mercifully have only been hit by other cars on three occasions in public car parks, despite - (A) having hazard lights on during these manoeuvres (B) Alfa Rosso paint colour.

Driving in London, Italy, or round the Paris ring road ( with the obligatory detour through St Denis) is a breeze by comparison.........

This. The number of times I have reversed into a space and not been able to get stuff in and out of the boot far exceeds and problems I have had with reversing out of a space I have driven straight into.

Would rather you struggled with your shopping than hit a pedestrian tbh:glare:

What I used to see a lot of (especially on a Saturday) was a queue of cars waiting to get into the car park caused by 1 person who saw someone walking to their own car on the ground floor. They'd wait for this person to leave then slowly try to reverse into the spot (assuming the car behind them didn't nip in to the spot 1st). All the while, the queue of cars is getting longer outside and naturally the staff are blamed for this. It's like the ground floor parking is a badge of honour or something for them and they completely ignore the fact that there's 2 walkways on the 1st and 2nd floor to the shopping centre. The 2nd and 3rd floors were practically devoid of cars naturally.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I don't get parallel parking right first time, this is usual what my second attempt looks like.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You are meant to reverse into a space as you are reversing away from the 'traffic'. If you drive into a space you then have to perform a reverse, which is considered a more difficult manoeuvre, into traffic. Simple really.
But you're not ' in traffic '
You're in a bloody car park.

Straight in, nose first, other cars can pass so no queues, access to boot.
Reverse out when it's safe to do so.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But you're not ' in traffic '
You're in a bloody car park.

Straight in, nose first, other cars can pass so no queues, access to boot.
Reverse out when it's safe to do so.
If one reverses in the problem is switched. I detest having to wait for the people who cannot park a car properly try to reverse out. If you reverse in then you are in control as other traffic has to take notice and stop to allow the manoeuvre, reversing out does not give control to the reversing driver but relies on kindness or often luck.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If one reverses in the problem is switched. I detest having to wait for the people who cannot park a car properly try to reverse out. If you reverse in then you are in control as other traffic has to take notice and stop to allow the manoeuvre, reversing out does not give control to the reversing driver but relies on kindness or often luck.
Second biggest motoring pet hate (1st being people who come to a full stationary stop at clear roundabouts) when you are waiting and you just know they won’t turn the wheel enough to execute a two stage manoeuvre

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You are talking about the wankpanzer drivers in the university car parks aren’t you!

BUT. If you are in marks and Spencer’s or waitrose car parks( yes I know) if you reverse in you struggle to get your shopping into the boot due to the wankpanzer drivers parking close to your doors as they are all twats!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Second biggest motoring pet hate (1st being people who come to a full stationary stop at clear roundabouts) when you are waiting and you just know they won’t turn the wheel enough to execute a two stage manoeuvre
Haha yes, or even worse, stop whilst on the roundabout!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'd like to see a higher tier driving license that involves an extra test with lots of reversing.
Those who didn't hold the competent reversing license would be banned from narrow roads, many car parks and pretty much every village in Cornwall.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'd like to see a higher tier driving license that involves an extra test with lots of reversing.
Those who didn't hold the competent reversing license would be banned from narrow roads, many car parks and pretty much every village in Cornwall.
To be taken by wankpanzer drivers only

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My wife has been driving for over 40 years and has never backed into a parking space . She would drive on for another half a mile to go in forwards.
Then I think she must be lying about having passed her driving test, in which I'm pretty sure reversing into a space is a mandatory part. But perhaps she did the examiner a ... err .. special favour ...........................

So - are you going to ask her? :lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When Bennett’s Field was fully operative in the first few seasons, evening games particularly, we saw some Wild West manoeuvres. People who hadn’t reversed in their huge Merc or Porsche, playing chicken in reversing out trying to bully their way out. Lots of hooting and brinkmanship. Where do these entitled twats park now?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
When Bennett’s Field was fully operative in the first few seasons, evening games particularly, we saw some Wild West manoeuvres. People who hadn’t reversed in their huge Merc or Porsche, playing chicken in reversing out trying to bully their way out. Lots of hooting and brinkmanship. Where do these entitled twats park now?
Had a disabled parking space in Bennett’s Field. Had to drive in to get the ramp down to let my son out the back of the van. On leaving, trying to reverse out into cars stacked up was a nightmare. No one let you out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here