Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV= County Championship Division One, Yorkshire v Sussex at Leeds, Sep 22-25, 2015

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Second division here we come. You just know that Pants are going to do us. Hope I'm wrong but it does not look good. Cannot see us beating Yorks and Notts seem intent on giving it to the Solent boys.

Yorkshire tried that last week as well. :(

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Second division here we come. You just know that Pants are going to do us. Hope I'm wrong but it does not look good. Cannot see us beating Yorks and Notts seem intent on giving it to the Solent boys.
Notts have little to play for. Suspect when it got tough their appetite for the game waned a bit - and kudos to Hants for digging in, at one point when they were 7 down they battled through 10 overs for 12 runs and have reaped the rewards in the evening session.
Still, at least we should get two draws out of Leicester next year!!

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Weather forecast for Thursday includes showers, which will take time out of games, which is what Sussex need.

Otherwise, Leeds will have a result one way or the other.

Hants have to win in order to beat us in the table. Somerset game, now irrelevant.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The last couple of hours have changed things. Yorkshire have put on 55 unbeaten for the second wicket, while Hants have put on 95 for the 9th wicket. A win for them and a defeat for us and we're down.

Do I think we're going to lose? Yes. Do I think they're going to win. No, but it's very possible.

I could see Yorkshire getting bowled out for something around 275-300 during tomorrow's final session, meaning that unless the weather intervenes a result is likely and I don't see us getting 300 to win.

If Hants get early wickets in tomorrow's morning session then, again, a result is likely, but bowling is not supposed to be their strength. Both matches are similarly poised, it would be great to see the Goff come out in the morning and blow Yorkshire away with support from the other bowlers.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
If we lose and Hampshire/Nottinghamshire draw do we stay up?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
we can but hope

There are a few showers forecast for Leeds prior to start of play and maybe a light on mid afternoon, but Nottingham is looking pretty much dry, if chilly all day.

We're now relying on Notts being up for the fight to avoid defeat, and not be more focussed on laying on a far off beach somewhere soon.

If we do go down, we've only got ourselves to blame.

The way we batted today is a microcosm of our batting attitiude this season - no guts and determination - lots of free scoring and quick wickets.

as has been mentioned earlier, Hants worked hard mid afternoon to retain their wickets, playing out a number of maidens - I'm not sure how many Sussex players (Yardy, Joyce) would be able or willing to do that?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The last couple of hours have changed things. Yorkshire have put on 55 unbeaten for the second wicket, while Hants have put on 95 for the 9th wicket. A win for them and a defeat for us and we're down.

Do I think we're going to lose? Yes. Do I think they're going to win. No, but it's very possible.

I could see Yorkshire getting bowled out for something around 275-300 during tomorrow's final session, meaning that unless the weather intervenes a result is likely and I don't see us getting 300 to win.

If Hants get early wickets in tomorrow's morning session then, again, a result is likely, but bowling is not supposed to be their strength. Both matches are similarly poised, it would be great to see the Goff come out in the morning and blow Yorkshire away with support from the other bowlers.

This is how I see it. 250 at Headingly is a decent score and I expect us to lose comfortably. The Hants game is 50/50 and that really is what I make our chance of staying up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
It`s the sort of game that any other time during the season it would play out to a bore draw.
My biggest fear is that Notts make a sporting declaration to make it an interesting final day should they be in a position to.

Wouldn`t it be in Hampshire`s interests to declare now giving them more time to bowl Notts out.
The extra bonus point isn`t needed, do you feel they need to get close to Notts` score or not?

I would imagine Sussex will lose but we can keep our fingers crossed we might hang on for a draw.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Do we deserve to stay up ?

You could argue that Worcestershire, Hants, Sussex and Somerset have all struggled, Hants have the fewest batting and bowling points of the bottom 4, have only won 3 games (to date), so if we finish above them, you could say we deserve to I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here