Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] LV= County Championship Division One, Yorkshire v Sussex at Leeds, Sep 22-25, 2015

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I can understand Liddle and Piolet being released but Zaidi has been given little chance and has been magnificent with the bat recently

I guess they needed to get rid of as many as possible (out of contract) to make way for new blood ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes. We also need a batting coach, a half decent spinner and two other batsmen in addition to this Goodwin replacement you speak of.

To be honest, a lot of things have gone wrong over a lengthy period of time.

There's been a gradual degredation of our squad over a number of years.

We've lost players over the years since our last championship win without really replacing them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sussex used to play "The rest of England" and are the oldest County Club. Shameful for the most historic club to be in Div 2. That is Sussex sport, both football and cricket. Mediocrity on the field is the norm.

Or alternatively, a club that won it's first county championship in 2003, 164 years after formation and after a long period of mediocrity, with one of the smaller operating budgets in the country has had an outstanding decade of punching well above its weight.

Robbo out for me but lets not kid ourselves that Sussex are big players in County Cricket, when historically they're far from it.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Still need a batting coach, that has been the biggest issue for a while. Robinson can work wonders with the bowlers, but he cannot coach the batters.

Robinson really needs to go, but that will not happen with Jim May protecting him.

Players like Machin need to be dropped, rather than get away with constantly playing the same slogging shots and getting out.

Wright as captain makes sense.

Pace bowlers we have if fit, should be good enough in the second division. Lack of spinner is an issue, but presuming Magofin should be an English player next season, the overseas slot can be a spinner, if we can coach are batsmen to bat.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm hoping that Will Beer will be allowed to play county games now we're at a lower standard. I think he's got the talent, he just needs to bowl and bowl.

The batting coach is essential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here