Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst TV "comedy" ever?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can understand people not liking The Office, and it can be cringeworthy, but your reasoning is nonsense. It's very well observed and the humour is in the fact that we know the traits in the characters. I'd say the opposite is true, people with a low IQ wouldn't get it.
I agree! The office is hilerious! You have to have a sense of humour to find it funny, something Looney obvs doesn't have[emoji53]

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
You do not like Royle family but find MBB hilarious? I can only assume you also like fancy dress parties, comedy ties and whacky socks.

**** sake, give it up will you. Does it really matter that much to you?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Surely that's the whole idea isn't it? Basil Fawlty? Ali G? To name but two characters.

Good point, and [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] as Ill answer both.

I was thinking of Basil Fawlty to explain my allegations. The thing is, IRL someone like fawlty wouldn't last 5 minutes in the work place wereas there are loads of David Brents. Now if you have worked for, or with or had one working for you it isn't funny. Or maybe it is?hence my questioning of your socal skills, do you burst out laughing at the real life jokes? Because having come across them they are the worst type to be laughed at, ie take it badly., this leads me to question your ability to analyse social situations.

The bell cheeses at work thread is interesting as it seems full of David Brents. A lot of the problems they post area real but can be delt with if having a grasp of company policies and culture etc.

I wasn't just slagging of something that wasn't to my taste, there are reasons to question people who find that funny as there are for people who find bum fights entertaining.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Office. This isn't comedy, people who laugh at the character when the normal reaction would be to cringe are people with IQ and social skills way below their self assessment level of these traits in themselves.

Spot on. The idea that it's only people with a low IQ who don't find it funny is total bollox (and yes, sorry, but I am qualified to make that statement!); I just don't think Ricky Gervais is funny.

My biggest hates though, are:
Mrs, Brown's Boys - TV viewer abuse;
Bread - unfunny and just wrong;
Butterflies - unfunny and totally excruciating.

And don't get me started on American humour. I know some people like stuff like Friends and that, but I haven't laughed at a US comedy since WKRP in Cincinatti - now that DID have me rolling about on the floor!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And don't get me started on American humour. I know some people like stuff like Friends and that, but I haven't laughed at a US comedy since WKRP in Cincinatti - now that DID have me rolling about on the floor!

Try Veep. The funniest American show I think I've ever watched (abeit one of the writers is Armando Ianucci, who is a scotch and is largely responsible for the masterpiece that is The Thick of It, of which Veep is kind of an American version).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Good point, and @Badger as Ill answer both.

I was thinking of Basil Fawlty to explain my allegations. The thing is, IRL someone like fawlty wouldn't last 5 minutes in the work place wereas there are loads of David Brents. Now if you have worked for, or with or had one working for you it isn't funny. Or maybe it is?hence my questioning of your socal skills, do you burst out laughing at the real life jokes? Because having come across them they are the worst type to be laughed at, ie take it badly., this leads me to question your ability to analyse social situations.

The bell cheeses at work thread is interesting as it seems full of David Brents. A lot of the problems they post area real but can be delt with if having a grasp of company policies and culture etc.

I wasn't just slagging of something that wasn't to my taste, there are reasons to question people who find that funny as there are for people who find bum fights entertaining.

The Office gives you the opportunity to laugh at things that, in real life, you wouldn't be able to laugh at. I don't see what is wrong with that, or what it has got to do with social skills. Most people are aware there is a certain way of behaving in the workplace, and openly laughing at others isn't acceptable, that's why we don't do it even if we find a situation funny. All The Office does is exaggerate these situations to (IMO) good comedy effect.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Bread was terrible.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good point, and @Badger as Ill answer both.

I don't really take my life seriously enough to go into the psychology of what I find funny. If I laugh I find it funny, if I don't ... well, I don't. I guess my social skills are a bit akimbo huh? Or maybe I just don't have any?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No it doesn't tick any "PC boxes".

It's racist. Just like Love Thy Neighbour was racist.

It centres on an ethnic minority, which is a PC box the BBC very much likes ticking (which wouldn't be a problem if only they could actually make it, y'know...FUNNY)

From what I've seen of it (which mercifully isn't very much) I don't think there's anything remotely racist in Citizen Khan. Yes the main character is clearly portrayed as a complete buffoon, but thats nothing to do with his race, and there is none of the ignorant Alf Garnett style jibes and intolerance that permeated L T N for "comic effect". Not sure where that conclusion comes from.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Bottle Boys
A Sharp Intake of Breath [ starring David Jason]
Ab Fab
Are You Being Served
Colin's Sandwich[ Mel Smyth]
Comrade Dad
Game on
Grace and Favour
and not forgetting Fresh Fields utter tripe.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
No, I only mentioned it once. For lols. You really do not have a humour do you ;)

If you say so petal. Now, you'll have to excuse me as I'm off to a fancy dress party with my comedy tie and wacky socks. Soppy ****.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Mind your Language
Only when I laugh
Bottle Boys
The one about a fella getting married, and everything that could go wrong, went wrong, with hilarious consequences . I can't remember the name.
On the Buses
Anything written by Carla Laine(sp), with scousers or Wendy Craig in it.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Of recent times Miranda - absolute bobbins
Before that My Family was a shocking waste of cash time and (little) effort. How did that get 9 series at prime time or whatever it was ?
But the undisputed all-time champion of wretchedness has to be Bread. Oh my f@cking good god was that unspeakably awful, as well as perpetuating that old lie about cheeky, lovable scouse scallywags (hastily checks to see if scouse Mrs is peering over shoulder as he types...)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sooty & Sweep
I watched it on Saturday morning and I did not laugh once, not even when Sooty squirted Corbett with a water pistol.
That Corbett is a wrong'un as well.
I found the whole show very childish.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Those nominating stuff like Allo Allo and Are You Being Served need to go take a long hard look in the mirror. Absolute comedy genius in comparison to the proper shite being discussed here (and no, I don't think either were actually comedy genius).

Surprised nobody's mentioned that awful Kathy Burke thing Gimme Gimme Gimme (had to look it up). That was proper turd but somehow managed 3 series.

Also I'm happy to completely disagree with looney about The Office seeing as he's generally totally wrong about everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here