Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst TV "comedy" ever?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But the undisputed all-time champion of wretchedness has to be Bread. Oh my f@cking good god was that unspeakably awful, as well as perpetuating that old lie about cheeky, lovable scouse scallywags (hastily checks to see if scouse Mrs is peering over shoulder as he types...)

Maybe I've successfully wiped enough of it from my memory but wasn't the general premise that they were a bunch of dodgy crims just staying the right side of the law? In which case it was quite realistic......but still terrible.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Those nominating stuff like Allo Allo and Are You Being Served need to go take a long hard look in the mirror. Absolute comedy genius in comparison to the proper shite being discussed here (and no, I don't think either were actually comedy genius).

The trouble is, a lot of these comedies were funny at the time but they don't age very well. I mentioned this about Fawlty Towers on the John Cleese thread, it was funny back then but it just doesn't stand up as well when you watch it today. That probably isn't the best example as I know a lot of people still love FT, but you get my point about old comedy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The trouble is, a lot of these comedies were funny at the time but they don't age very well. I mentioned this about Fawlty Towers on the John Cleese thread, it was funny back then but it just doesn't stand up as well when you watch it today. That probably isn't the best example as I know a lot of people still love FT, but you get my point about old comedy.

Sure everyone is different. I still find Fawlty Towers funny despite having seen every episode loads of times. Part of that is familiarity obviously but it's mainly because it's good. Also watched a Porridge episode over Christmas that even my 9 yr old son found funny despite it being terribly dated.

Anyway, dated or not I'd still prefer to have to sit through every episode of Allo Allo and Are You Being Served back to back as opposed to having to watch one episode of Mrs Brown's Boys. :shootself

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I see 'Up the Elephant and round the Castle' has already been nominated so I will offer another load of old boll#x from the Jim Davidson school of :shit: HOME JAMES.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Mind your Language
Only when I laugh
Bottle Boys
The one about a fella getting married, and everything that could go wrong, went wrong, with hilarious consequences . I can't remember the name.
On the Buses
Anything written by Carla Laine(sp), with scousers or Wendy Craig in it.

OMG. Thought I'd finally scrubbed the memory of that one from my brain.

Talking of appalling ITV "comedies", anyone remember one called Cowboys, about a bunch of moronic builders. Think Roy Kinnear was in it, presumably to pay off a gambling debt or a recent divorce settlement.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That 'comedy' with the two old queens in it, has been on in recent years, no idea what it's called, another one on the sink and destroy list.

Are you talking about the thing with Sir Ian McKellen & Sir Derek Jacobi in it? A horrendously scripted, painfully unfunny cluster**** of camp clichés. It was on in the last couple of years, but I can't remember what it was called either.

McKellen & Jacobi: both towering pillars of the British theatrical establishment. I found myself wondering what catastrophic event had occurred in their thespian careers that they felt compelled to take those roles.

Also: I am on the one hand disappointed to see nobody has ventured Lee Nelson's Well Good Show for this coveted title yet, or Little Miss Jocelyn, but, on the other hand, encouraged in that it evidently suggests both have faded into the obscurity that they clearly merit.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Are you talking about the thing with Sir Ian McKellen & Sir Derek Jacobi in it? A horrendously scripted, painfully unfunny cluster**** of camp clichés. It was on in the last couple of years, but I can't remember what it was called either.

Vicious.

God knows how desperate McKellen and Jacobi must have been to lower themselves to such depths.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Try Veep. The funniest American show I think I've ever watched (abeit one of the writers is Armando Ianucci, who is a scotch and is largely responsible for the masterpiece that is The Thick of It, of which Veep is kind of an American version).
Veep is superb .

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Spot on. The idea that it's only people with a low IQ who don't find it funny is total bollox (and yes, sorry, but I am qualified to make that statement!); I just don't think Ricky Gervais is funny.

My biggest hates though, are:
Mrs, Brown's Boys - TV viewer abuse;
Bread - unfunny and just wrong;
Butterflies - unfunny and totally excruciating.

And don't get me started on American humour. I know some people like stuff like Friends and that, but I haven't laughed at a US comedy since WKRP in Cincinatti - now that DID have me rolling about on the floor!
Modern family and Big Bang theory are brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here