Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Don't agree with this attitude. We've had one fairly lucky win yesterday without Dunk (not counting tin pot cup). He without doubt makes us stronger and I for one am not letting one last min win take away the fact we would be much stronger with Dunk playing. I just think one win or one lose changes so many peoples' opinions on here...!

You mean we might lose an game this season.:wozza:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't agree with this attitude. We've had one fairly lucky win yesterday without Dunk (not counting tin pot cup). He without doubt makes us stronger and I for one am not letting one last min win take away the fact we would be much stronger with Dunk playing. I just think one win or one lose changes so many peoples' opinions on here...!

Potentially relegation material by this time next week

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not going to read through all this, and perhaps these posts are already there, but I'll say now, that IF Dunk goes, anyone typing any of the following phrases: 'not all that', 'no loss', 'easily replaced', 'over-rated', really has no place posting on a football forum, and should probably find a new sport to watch.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im 99.9% certain he is off this window.

And if he does not play Tuesday night I will change that to 100%

Very good player and will be a big shame if he goes.

For close to 5 million and a premier league side though its a sensible move for all concerned.

To a championship side its awkward.......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not going to read through all this, and perhaps these posts are already there, but I'll say now, that IF Dunk goes, anyone typing any of the following phrases: 'not all that', 'no loss', 'easily replaced', 'over-rated', really has no place posting on a football forum, and should probably find a new sport to watch.

Bit of an outlandish statement to make. Whilst he would be a loss nobody is indispensable, and if anyone thinks he is the finished article then they are quite naive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bit of an outlandish statement to make. Whilst he would be a loss nobody is indispensable, and if anyone thinks he is the finished article then they are quite naive.

Where did I suggest he was 'indispensable' or the 'finished article'?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think that is reasonable - play the new man with the experienced player before pairing him with the less experienced youngster.

I also find it hard to believe that Lewis Dunk is the answer to any premier league teams defensive problems. In 3 or 4 years time maybe, but not now.

If we round it down to perhaps to a couple of years, then this is how a Premier League club might find it a good time to buy, a comparatively low transfer fee and wages in Premier League terms with potential to become a £10m Premier League player within a couple of years.

If it doesnt pan out sell on to a Championship team for a couple of million.

Seems a decent bet to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Edit: Apologies [MENTION=717]Hans Kraay[/MENTION], quote didn't go in.

Your suggestion that anyone who states he is 'not all that' or 'overrated' has no place on a football forum is rather silly, and implies that he is better than he actually is.

For me his concentration is not always the best, he lacks pace, which leads to him diving in and defends on his heels too much. IMO he is a good championship player nothing more.

£5-£6million is a good price for Dunk and whilst a loss it would be good business.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I generally get the impression he is off this window, but what if he isn't?

We have Huenemeier, so even if there's rotation, it still reduces Dunk's importance to us, and thus reduces the amount we can charge. It also increases the desire of Dunk to go - if he isn't playing every game but has the chance to play more regularly elsewhere, that's going to appeal.
It doesn't reduce what we can charge, we're not a team that needs to sell, so we can charge what we like. The offers will be based on how much he's worth to other clubs. Dunk would be more important to us if we didn't have Uwe, but Dunk's an excellent defender who can also score goals.

I also find it hard to believe that Lewis Dunk is the answer to any premier league teams defensive problems. In 3 or 4 years time maybe, but not now.
He doesn't have to be the answer to their problems. Part of his value is based on his potential, and if he joined a PL team now he could become one of their options, learn their setup, continue to improve and become more important for them over time.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If we round it down to perhaps to a couple of years, then this is how a Premier League club might find it a good time to buy, a comparatively low transfer fee and wages in Premier League terms with potential to become a £10m Premier League player within a couple of years.

If it doesnt pan out sell on to a Championship team for a couple of million.

Seems a decent bet to me.

He doesn't have to be the answer to their problems. Part of his value is based on his potential, and if he joined a PL team now he could become one of their options, learn their setup, continue to improve and become more important for them over time.

Yes I understand that, but there was a comment earlier in the thread about him being the answer to Newcastle's defensive issues now, which is what I am doubting. But I have just realised who that suggestion was made by! :) I have no doubt he will turn into an very good PL defender in time, but he is not at that stage yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes I understand that, but there was a comment earlier in the thread about him being the answer to Newcastle's defensive issues now, which is what I am doubting.
I wouldn't have said anything if you'd quoted him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
More I think about it, more I think this is the situation, and this is all guess work...
Dunk has never refused to play and has not made a request to leave. The club have been trying to sell him but no takers (yet). He feels unwanted.
And I think the title of this thread should be changed

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
More I think about it, more I think this is the situation, and this is all guess work...
Dunk has never refused to play and has not made a request to leave. The club have been trying to sell him but no takers (yet). He feels unwanted.

How do you know the club have been trying to sell him ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

He did refuse to play, away to Southend.

It's NOT guess work, I have it on very good authority.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here