Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Gus is a fool. Had he stayed with us, there is every chance that we would have been promoted automatically this season, so he would have neither a sacking for gross misconduct nor a relegation on his CV.

He had a good thing going at the Albion. He must realise that now (as must Liam Bridcutt).

I'm glad someone else has brought Bridcutt into the discussion. After we gave him the platform to rebuild his career, he decided to sulk until he got his transfer to the Premier League. If by some miracle we go up, I'll be laughing at him just as much as Gus - more so, because from what I hear, Gus has had to deal with some of the most colossal mismatches between players' egos and their abilities anywhere outside Old Trafford. One former manager in particular seems to have collected together some of the least-professional professional footballers imaginable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm glad someone else has brought Bridcutt into the discussion. After we gave him the platform to rebuild his career, he decided to sulk until he got his transfer to the Premier League. If by some miracle we go up, I'll be laughing at him just as much as Gus - more so, because from what I hear, Gus has had to deal with some of the most colossal mismatches between players' egos and their abilities anywhere outside Old Trafford. One former manager in particular seems to have collected together some of the least-professional professional footballers imaginable.

Weren't a lot of the current crop signed by the bloke with the smashed in face???

And yes, it will be HILARIO if they come down and we go up. If we stay in the Championship then it will be interesting to see the reception Bridcutt gets back here (assuming he doesn't pick up a mystery niggle). After those comments, however, I'd no longer expect Poyet to be there.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Done nothing in the league to make me think he's right, they are even further adrift of safety than they were when he arrived there. They survived last season so yes, in fact I think he's deluded, not just wrong. :smile:

He has got two games in hand to prove me wrong though.

They average just under a point a game with him in charge which could see them safe if it had been over the whole season. They had 1 point from 5 games before he took over and they'd played Fulham, Crystal Palace and West Brom in those games. If he hadn't done well in the two cup competitions I reckon they'd probably be clear by now but that's speculation. But i think if you were a neutral it would be far to say Sunderland have improved under Gus.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Maybe fair to say until he appeared to completely lost it tactically and play 5 in defence with two holding midfielder (and his best player on the bench) in a must win game at home to West Ham.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Guardian Monday: Poyet and that time of Year Again...

I used to love Gus, then when he dropped us like a bad habit I quite obviously disliked him with a passion. But I still had a glimmer of respect for the bloke but now even that has been snuffed out. The guy is a miserable little mercenary, the moment that he feels he's not getting "respect" or if he feels a club isn't matching his ridiculous over inflated "ambition" he's off.
I feel sorry for Sunderland fans but the only thing that cheers me up about all if this, is a couple of months ago when Sunderland were in the league cup final, having the F.A cup run and just got out of the relegation zone, the pundits on 5 live and match of the day were thrashing their genitalia wildly claiming he be anointed manager of the season.
But he'll walk out just in time to get himself a cushy B.B.C World Cup pundit job as a Uruguay "expert" and be reunited with all his match of the day w@nk buddies

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think he's wrong?
The league position would suggest he is wrong.

What the current league position emphatically states is:-

Now is not the time to make such comments.

Unless of course you have a Teflon approach to crisis management.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume those of us who enjoy such things were all over their messageboards when Poyet was appointed.
Have now returned bigger and bouncier than ever.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Wonder if the people who were complaining recently about Oscar being dull and incapable of inspiring the team, would prefer him to take part in this sort of media activity instead?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Similarities / differences between Palace and Sunderland:

Both teams had poor summer windows with squads bloated by rubbish, both had eccentric managers, goal-shy forwards, both lacked creativity and discipline, both looked nailed on for relegation.

Gus arrived at Sunderland a full 5 weeks before Pulis at Palace, so had a head start on turning round the club. However, Pulis quickly realised he'd need more proven quality so shipped in players like Ledley, Hennessey, Tom Ince, Puncheon and Scott Dann. He was not afraid to axe Play-Off Final hero Kevin Phillips or send new arrivals like Kebe, Dobbie and Campana on their way. He got mediocre players to do a job. And throughout it all Pulis has kept a very low profile.

Contrast all of that with Gus, who had a poor January window, failed to ship out enough dross and now, judging by performances and his own demeanour, seems to have lost the dressing room.

Pulis has shown the required qualities of a decent Prem manager, and by those standards Gus has not cut the mustard.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I always knew Poyet would unravel at Sunderland, I had as much faith in it as I do the seasons changing year by year. The fact it's happened so quickly and that he is taking Sunderland down with a whimper is really quite enjoyable to behold.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I'm not sure you'll get an answer to that, they seem to be all on holiday.

Yes, I think they've all gone away for a little outing with the NSC Gus Poyet Lifelong Supporters Club

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I think most of us know that he's just an accident waiting to happen. Wherever he goes, the same thing will happen.
The bloke is just an ego on legs and like a spoilt child whenever things don't go his way.

Give me Oscar any day, at least he's got class.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Whether managers are interesting or boring in press conferences is often reflected in their teams. Pulis has recently taken to standing up in press conferences, presumably so that he doesn't actually doze off himself, and you can't say that Palace are very watchable, even if they are likely to stay up. Ditto Allardyce and the present West Ham side - Big Sam is nothing like as witty as his Twitter alter ego and tends to drone on in long sentences laced with stats so that no-one can get a question in.

An Israeli journo I know warned me that Oscar hadn't said a single interesting thing all last season and spoke in cliches, so I thought I knew what to expect. But when you get him away from the post-match thing, he's got plenty to say. He was very interesting when he helped me out with something about Deulofeu at Everton. So the unemotional figure on the touchline and in press conferences is probably just him with his matchday face on, and inside he's a cauldron of raw emotion.

Or maybe he had a look at Billy Davies when we played Forest and thought: "I don't want to be that guy..."

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm no fan of Gus anymore and I like Oscar. But one hand we've people saying Oscar only had 6 weeks pre-season, stuck with same players as last year (who finished fourth), been able to make the changes he's wanted and is statistically poorer than Gus and blaming Gus completely for Sunderland's downfall, who took over a team of shite, 5 games into the season and has statistically improved them.
It is more than a little nonsensical

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I know it is irrelevant because he would've jumped ship by now, but I do wonder how GP would have fared at the Albion this season, given the injuries we've had, combined with the policy of bringing young players through. In a bizarre way, we may have dodged a bullet by getting rid of him, even though it didn't seem like it (to plenty) at the time.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I know it is irrelevant because he would've jumped ship by now, but I do wonder how GP would have fared at the Albion this season, given the injuries we've had, combined with the policy of bringing young players through. In a bizarre way, we may have dodged a bullet by getting rid of him, even though it didn't seem like it (to plenty) at the time.

I agree. I think that Gus staying would have been more detrimental to this season then him leaving when he did. He was obviously no longer happy here and there would have been a lot of unrest every time another manager lost his job. It became incredibly tedious, his name being linked with every vacation and can't make for a settled team.

Regardless of what happens in the last four games I think Oscar has done a great job. He just quietly (almost too quietly) gets on with the job. If he does leave to go to Swansea at the end of the season, I will be sad to see him go. But I bet it will be done in a much more gracious way that will benefit Oscar and the club, none of the rubbish that we had with Gus leaving. I was talking about it with my Mum and she said that compared to Gus, Oscar seems to behave like a grown up. What do Mum's know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here